Parents of the Class of 2019

Formal Saturday, supposed to be sunny and in the 70’s. Tanning and nails on Friday (letting her take a half day, tanning at 11, nails at 12:30, both close to the HS), her boyfriend’s Eagle Scout ceremony 11 on Saturday, hair at 2, makeup at 3, first house for pictures starting at 4.

Ordered some shoes from Nordstrom, supposed to be here by Thursday, needs to be 6 inches high. She has an easy time with high heels, actually has a pair this high in silver that she though would work but doesn’t think they will work that she’s worn before.

She and her friends went to a florist and ordered boutonnières after school today.

Formal Saturday, supposed to be sunny and in the 70’s. Tanning and nails on Friday (letting her take a half day, tanning at 11, nails at 12:30, both close to the HS), her boyfriend’s Eagle Scout ceremony 11 on Saturday, hair at 2, makeup at 3, first house for pictures starting at 4.

Ordered some shoes from Nordstrom, supposed to be here by Thursday, needs to be 6 inches high. She has an easy time with high heels, actually has a pair this high in silver that she though would work but doesn’t think they will work that she’s worn before.

She and her friends went to a florist and ordered boutonnières after school today.
Sounds like great weather coming for prom! We had snow the last 2 weekends (yuck) so I'm glad DD's isn't until May. At least I think she has settled on a dress. I think my wallet will be invited for a shopping trip soon! I told her not to wait too long in case I need to make alterations. Which means she needs to commit on shoes as well so we can get the length right.

Checking in as a parent of a 2019 DD. I’ve been following this thread all year but decided I enjoy it too much to not participate. I have a DD who is currently a freshman but she was a recruited athlete so we didn’t have any stress with college admissions since she did early reads with D3 and D1 schools.

DD17 is a whole different story. She has no idea what she wants. We have visited 15+ schools on the east coast. Add in the 20+ schools my older DD visited and I feel like a pro. Prom is Friday but I still don’t know her plans or if she even has a date. With her learning disability and anxiety it’s like pulling teeth. I look forward to the support of this thread.

Great news - DS just found out his SkillsUSA team won the gold medal for their competition/event in our state, so they are going to the National competition in June! He went last year and loved it. Even better, his best friend is on the team this year so they should have a blast. A week away from us, pretty much paid for by the board of ed except for money for meals etc. Plus it will look great on college apps next year.

Great news - DS just found out his SkillsUSA team won the gold medal for their competition/event in our state, so they are going to the National competition in June! He went last year and loved it. Even better, his best friend is on the team this year so they should have a blast. A week away from us, pretty much paid for by the board of ed except for money for meals etc. Plus it will look great on college apps next year.
That's awesome. Congrats to him and his team! What a great memory to have.

Just signed up for this http://thenuwhetour.org/ Signing up for Udel’s sports medicine open house and a local college open house with hundreds of colleges.

Formal was great, after party here was fun, she took off her 6” heels for 5 minutes and got her big toe stepped on, cracking the nail, had to miss a dance workshop yesterday but got fixed up at the podiatrist today. Got her bid for NHS, and is now deciding on who’s dress to borrow for her bf’s prom next month (she has great options, she has several tiny friends). Her 4 year old chrome book is broken, was planning on getting her a laptop for graduation next year, maybe I’ll get another chrome book for her and dd15 to share, and then get her the laptop next year.

We've been busy here--It seems like a my kid is running a marathon every day until the end of the year. It has been so nice to see all of your prom and formal updates! The Parents of 2019 have some great kids!!! I hope you don't mind if I vent a second. DD took a "school day" SAT at her school last Tuesday with all the other Juniors in her class. The school had told all the Juniors they could use the school's graphing calculators that they use for math and physics classes. We are a majority low income school, and most kids don't have their own $159.00 calculator and use the school's. Then...on Thursday at the end of the school day--the kids were told oops,so sorry, we have to let the 3rd and 5th and 8th graders use those calculators for their STARR test (Texas' standardized testing). There were not enough to go around, so the Juniors taking the SAT were on their own. Um...(a) the school could have chosen just about any day from College Board for the in school SAT administration--why choose the same date as the math STARR tests, which was set by the state of Texas loooong ago? (B) did you really just figure this out, (c) why do 3rd graders and 5th graders need a $159 graphing calculator for the STARR test--I took a look at one and was confused as to how to work it--how bout buying some $10 scientific calculators for their test?????? Fortunately, I had the money to buy one before the test (and she will need it for college anyway), but when I started looking Friday after work (i.e. too late to order on Amazon or anywhere else and get it delivered in time for sure)( it had not occurred to me I might have a hard time finding them in stock in stores) there were none in stock anywhere near us. I finally located one on Sunday, put it on hold, and drove an hour there and an hour back. Let's just say I was more than a little irrritated at her school--they are constantly creating stressful situations for the students with their poor planning. And poor communication. And putting some of the kids at a disadvantage on the calculator portion of the SAT math. Uggghhhhhh!
On a lighter note, track is over. Prom is Friday night. DD is going with her boyfriend who is a senior. Have the dress, shoes, underthings. Nail appt on Thursday, hair appt on Friday. Still trying to figure out if they are doing wrist corsage and boutonniere. She's having fun, and it is such a joy to watch it all unfold.

We've been busy here--It seems like a my kid is running a marathon every day until the end of the year. It has been so nice to see all of your prom and formal updates! The Parents of 2019 have some great kids!!! I hope you don't mind if I vent a second. DD took a "school day" SAT at her school last Tuesday with all the other Juniors in her class. The school had told all the Juniors they could use the school's graphing calculators that they use for math and physics classes. We are a majority low income school, and most kids don't have their own $159.00 calculator and use the school's. Then...on Thursday at the end of the school day--the kids were told oops,so sorry, we have to let the 3rd and 5th and 8th graders use those calculators for their STARR test (Texas' standardized testing). There were not enough to go around, so the Juniors taking the SAT were on their own. Um...(a) the school could have chosen just about any day from College Board for the in school SAT administration--why choose the same date as the math STARR tests, which was set by the state of Texas loooong ago? (B) did you really just figure this out, (c) why do 3rd graders and 5th graders need a $159 graphing calculator for the STARR test--I took a look at one and was confused as to how to work it--how bout buying some $10 scientific calculators for their test?????? Fortunately, I had the money to buy one before the test (and she will need it for college anyway), but when I started looking Friday after work (i.e. too late to order on Amazon or anywhere else and get it delivered in time for sure)( it had not occurred to me I might have a hard time finding them in stock in stores) there were none in stock anywhere near us. I finally located one on Sunday, put it on hold, and drove an hour there and an hour back. Let's just say I was more than a little irrritated at her school--they are constantly creating stressful situations for the students with their poor planning. And poor communication. And putting some of the kids at a disadvantage on the calculator portion of the SAT math. Uggghhhhhh!
On a lighter note, track is over. Prom is Friday night. DD is going with her boyfriend who is a senior. Have the dress, shoes, underthings. Nail appt on Thursday, hair appt on Friday. Still trying to figure out if they are doing wrist corsage and boutonniere. She's having fun, and it is such a joy to watch it all unfold.
There's no excuse for that calculator nonsense. What a waste of time and effort. I kept my DD home on super testing day and had her take the ACT last Saturday. The school wasn't paying for the test like in years past so it made no difference which day she took it. I figured she could use the day home to prepare more. We have a graphing calculator from when our 25 year old was in 7th or 8th grade. It's not the latest model, but it works in a pinch. Regardless, she borrowed one from school for the test anyway. I would have been livid if they made them take the test without the calculator and didn't give ample notice to get one of your own. We're also in a lower income district so there's not really an expectation that each kid will have one of their own.

I hope she has a great time at prom on Friday! Ours is still a few weeks away.

Whirlwind weekend. Saturday DD had solo/ensemble contest and got three 1's and three 2's. Her vocal solo and duet got 1's, which she cared about more than the large group entries.

Sunday morning we left early for the airport and flew down to visit University of Central Arkansas. I think I've mentioned being anxious to check out a certain school to see if it was worth the travel, and this was it. We had a fun time. DD really liked it. She had already fallen in love with it online and the visit only confirmed that. Something about it just speaks to her. She kept saying "when I go here" instead of "if", although she caught herself at times. The campus was so pretty and in bloom with flowering bushes and trees. (A contrast to the snow we left at home!) She liked the forest-y landscape of the surrounding area, again a contrast to the cornfields of home. We visited a Pastor from our denomination that does a youth group there and it seems the church families would be willing to help her in any way. She ended up with a college t-shirt from Plato's Closet, the free one from the tour, and one from the bookstore :)

Going down the air travel didn't seem too bad. Coming back the very next night was rather tiring. Unfortunately there's no nonstop flights so even though it's only two hours in the air it's a rather long process with a layover in St. Louis. And so the distance is the only thing concerning me. The cost after automatic merit is what drew us to consider it- much better than anything we have found closer to home. DH brought up the distance tonight and never coming home and I said well Christmas is a month long and there is summer. DD piped up "Or a weekend if I need a break" and I said no, just weekends won't be happening- mainly breaks of a week or more only. She needs to decide if she can handle that. I need to decide if I can handle that. She likes flying and airports, but what if she's stuck in St. Louis overnight or something with a weather cancellation? I don't know anyone there.

Lots of thinking to do. She's trying to get a friend interested in going with her so she has a travel buddy, which would be nice.

We just got back from DC (family trip combine with looking at some schools) and had an amazing time! DS didn't like George Washington (too urban) but loved American and Georgetown. He's got a good shot at getting into American, but Georgetown will be a reach! And in other news, he has a date to the prom! He's pretty quiet and goes to an all boys school, so he doesn't know too many girls, but he asked a girl from work and she said yes! I'm so happy for him.

DD had an excellent time at prom. She was so happy she asked her camp friend to be her date and that her sister and cousin were there too, these are her people more so than her school friends. Her date had other commitments and couldn't be there for all the pictures beforehand but it was all good in the end. It was a cloudy 57º so it didn't feel too warm but they still rode up in her go-kart.
prom18.jpg

DD had an excellent time at prom. She was so happy she asked her camp friend to be her date and that her sister and cousin were there too, these are her people more so than her school friends. Her date had other commitments and couldn't be there for all the pictures beforehand but it was all good in the end. It was a cloudy 57º so it didn't feel too warm but they still rode up in her go-kart.
View attachment 318430
Stunning gown! She looks gorgeous!

Dd has a 34, she’s taking them one more time, only because math is her strength, and she ended up with a 35 in LA, and only a 31 or 32 in math. I think she’s done after June.
No reason not to really. Good luck to her! My DD continues to do well in Math, english and reading, but lags behind in science. I really wish she'd spend some time prepping for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter