Parents of the Class of 2019

The principal says it is because of the computers/blames it on the technology teacher. The technology teacher says no, she would love to be able to have water bottles. DDs say it is only the principal who is behind this rule and think it has something to do with hiding drugs or something? Idk, it's annoying and is not going to keep anyone off drugs...this is a small school with about 250 kids and I don't feel drastic measures are necessary. We're hoping since all of the teachers seem to be against it, it won't last long.

The no backpack thing wouldn't fly at DD's school. She doesn't pass her locker all day, so she carried everything with her all the time.

Oh, and lunch is her only bathroom break all day :(

Well I guess I can join this thread this time around! My oldest just started his freshman year this past Tuesday. He runs Cross Country (and plays fall baseball) and plays trumpet for band/marching band. My dh teaches at our high school, so that made his transition into high school a LITTLE easier. Our school district just switched to a flex-mod schedule this year, so everyone - including teachers - are still in adjustment mode. It's a big change.

We also have a 5th grade dd. She plays club soccer and basketball, so our life is a just a bit crazy right now!!

I have one starting high school next Tuesday, and one starting middle school. Its a big year for us. I really feel like DD14 is prepared for high school and I think she'll do quite well. She only has 2 or 3 friends, mostly keeps to herself so I'm hoping she makes some new friends this year.

DD11 starts middle school, I dont think either of us are prepared for that. She can't seem to figure out how to put her papers in a folder without mashing them all in. It's going to be a long year.

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at how social our son has been the first couple weeks of school. :)

Before school started, we asked him if he'd be going to football games or hanging out with any of his soccer teammates. Back then, he generally just rolled his eyes or said something about how the football team sucked. Tonight, he's all excited for the football home opener (they still suck, that didn't change :p ). He's realizing how much fun it can be to just go to school events and hang out. :) :)

School started here on Wed. 9/9. My daughter loves high school. She said it is so much better than junior high. She has been very social going to freshmen, jv, and varsity football games. Also, a few float parties.

Drama club starts tomorrow. She will find out when auditions for the fall play are. She is ,also, interested in joining the french club.

My daughter's friend hates high school. She thought that it would be like the movies- Where the crowds parts and everyone stares at the "cool kids" LOL

The no backpack thing wouldn't fly at DD's school. She doesn't pass her locker all day, so she carried everything with her all the time.

Oh, and lunch is her only bathroom break all day :(

My DD is the same way, I'm floored by this, kept all my stuff in my locker in my day, but, I can't follow her around and force her to use her locker.

We have 2 years of PE requirements, DD is taking one semester this year, and will probably do the same for the other 3 years.

The no backpack thing wouldn't fly at DD's school. She doesn't pass her locker all day, so she carried everything with her all the time...

My DD is the same way, I'm floored by this, kept all my stuff in my locker in my day, but, I can't follow her around and force her to use her locker...

I know what you mean. DS is doing the exact same thing. They've been in school for a week, and I don't think he's been to his locker once. I just don't get it.

Is anyone else's new freshman having trouble eating a good breakfast so early in the morning? - DS has never been one to be hungry when he first gets up, so now that his start time has changed, it's even worse. He takes a few bites, but not enough to really hold a teenage boy until lunch. What do your kids especially like before school?

My DD is the same way, I'm floored by this, kept all my stuff in my locker in my day, but, I can't follow her around and force her to use her locker.

We have 2 years of PE requirements, DD is taking one semester this year, and will probably do the same for the other 3 years.

One thing I finally caved on when our boys were in high school and now that our daughter is in high school:

1) Use of a locker
2) Wearing a winter coat.

I actually think number 2 is related to number 1.

These go in my "whatever" category now. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else's new freshman having trouble eating a good breakfast so early in the morning? - DS has never been one to be hungry when he first gets up, so now that his start time has changed, it's even worse. He takes a few bites, but not enough to really hold a teenage boy until lunch. What do your kids especially like before school?

Neither of my kids eat breakfast. My daughter may or may not eat until she gets home from school. She takes a bottle water, granola bars, a bag of chips and a kit kat. SHe will snack on it through out the day.

My son either brings his lunch and eats in the drama room or will buy lunch.

My DD isn't a big breakfast eater either, she'll have a bowl of cereal, but that's about it. Based on my experiences though, since I end up leaving for work so early, I microwave a frozen breakfast sandwich, and then take it and a banana in the car on the way to work. It's got protein and is healthier than sugar cereals.

You can also try making him a breakfast wrap with a tortilla, peanut butter and fruit. I used to make ones with peanut butter, grape nuts, and peaches, and it was awesome, but grape nuts has way too many carbs for me!

The water bottle drama is over, the teachers complained and now they can have water!

DD14 eats cereal if she has time, a pop-tart if she needs to grab and go. She usually doesn't have much of a problem lasting till lunch time, it is my DD16 who is starving again by 9:30 or 10:00 (like me). Frozen breakfast sandwiches do pretty good at keeping you full longer.

DD14 tried out for the play on Monday. She loves acting, but she's not sure if she'll like the play they're doing (Hillbilly Wedding). We'll see what part she gets. Practices are three nights a week and don't have a definite ending time, so this will be tricky. We live 11 miles from school, so it'll take me 15 minutes to get her after she texts me. That'll make three round trips to town every day those days. I was hoping her sister would be in it too so she could drive but she has too much homework to even consider the play.

Oh, and it's Homecoming Week, so they are having fun with the various dress up days. Today was formal day, so they are dressed up. They are most excited about Decades day tomorrow. DD14 is doing 1940's ala Agent Peggy Carter and she is so thrilled with her outfit:

allisonpc2.jpg

The water bottle drama is over, the teachers complained and now they can have water!

DD14 eats cereal if she has time, a pop-tart if she needs to grab and go. She usually doesn't have much of a problem lasting till lunch time, it is my DD16 who is starving again by 9:30 or 10:00 (like me). Frozen breakfast sandwiches do pretty good at keeping you full longer.

DD14 tried out for the play on Monday. She loves acting, but she's not sure if she'll like the play they're doing (Hillbilly Wedding). We'll see what part she gets. Practices are three nights a week and don't have a definite ending time, so this will be tricky. We live 11 miles from school, so it'll take me 15 minutes to get her after she texts me. That'll make three round trips to town every day those days. I was hoping her sister would be in it too so she could drive but she has too much homework to even consider the play.

Good luck to your DD! Mine is in Drama club, but she doesn't want to be on stage, she does like art, and enjoys working behind the scenes. We're running into similar situations with after school logistics. Our DD has started club swim team again, so has practice on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:30, while our DS who's in middle school is in diving after school Tue - Thurs at 4:30, meanwhile, both DH and I are still at work, so how are we going to get them there? We're hoping to find a senior at school that we can pay to drop them off, then we just need to coordinate pickups and everything that happens AFTER we get home, scouts, other swim practices, clubs, guitar lessons...

Oh, and it's Homecoming Week, so they are having fun with the various dress up days. Today was formal day, so they are dressed up. They are most excited about Decades day tomorrow. DD14 is doing 1940's ala Agent Peggy Carter and she is so thrilled with her outfit:

allisonpc2.jpg

Excellent job! She looks great!

Homecoming week here - and I'm impressed that my son, who avoided all dances all through middle school, is actually going to homecoming! Him and some of his soccer teammates are all going stag, so hopefully they'll have a good time. :) :)

Homecoming week here - and I'm impressed that my son, who avoided all dances all through middle school, is actually going to homecoming! Him and some of his soccer teammates are all going stag, so hopefully they'll have a good time. :) :)

Good that he's going. Okay to go with just the guys! My girls had homecoming last weekend and had a great time. DD14 had a "date" which was just a guy from her friend group. However, she felt at the football game and at the dance that he acted like it was more than going just as friends. She does not want to be more than friends. I'm not sure if he likes her in that way, or if his mom was just coaching him on being a good "date".

Overall though, it was a fun week of activities. The freshman class beat every other grade at tug-of-war on Friday, which surprised me until DD reminded me that they are at least 20 kids larger than any other grade (50 kids in other grades, 70+ freshmen). Coronation was fun to watch, the kids all do funny things as they are introduced.

In other news, DD14 got a decent part in the school play. They are doing Hillbilly Wedding and she is the 5th sister, named "Five". She was hoping for a bigger part, but is happy that a senior girl she looks up to is "Four" and she can get to hang out with her. Also, her crush has a major role (playing her Pa), so here's a chance to be around him. :rotfl: They are the only freshmen with significant roles. Getting her to practices is going to be a bear. I thought the first night last night would be short, so I did a couple of errands and then sat in front of the school (it's 11 miles from home). It was 2.5 hours. I was so bored with the games on my phone! The problem with going home is that we won't know an end time, so it'd be 15 minutes from the time she texts till I get there, but I think I will go home most of the time. Some of the time, DD16 will take her and hang out at her boyfriend's until practice is over, so that will help.

my daughter is 14 and a freshman. She says she wants to go to college for Art. Her elective is Art and she spends a lot of time at home drawing and painting.

She doesn't seem to get much homework so far. Good luck to everyones kids that have midterms coming up. Ours start this Friday.

I actually have two kids in high school this year. My other daughter is a Senior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!