Parents of the Class of 2019

Thanks so much for posting this! I must have searched common app esaay edit limits and got that you could only edit it twice. Seems like that was the old rule. Now it is unlimited. Looks like it was changed around 2015.

Thanks again! Will help me to get DS to submit a few more apps.

No problem! My DD has edited so many times that she’s practically sent a different essay to each school. She’s applying to a wide range of schools and felt different essays were appropriate. I’m so glad they changed it because one size does not fit all when it comes to presenting yourself to a college.

Curse you, find my iPhone, Dd is driving 4 friends to a college almost 2 hours away, they have interviews at 9, and it looks like they are still 5 minutes away. She left just after 6:30, but I’m guessing at least 1 wasn’t ready, plus I’m sure they stopped at dunkin before heading out.

Curse you, find my iPhone, Dd is driving 4 friends to a college almost 2 hours away, they have interviews at 9, and it looks like they are still 5 minutes away. She left just after 6:30, but I’m guessing at least 1 wasn’t ready, plus I’m sure they stopped at dunkin before heading out.

Eeesh! I hope she made it on time!

DD got notification yesterday of acceptance to Colorado State, so that's 3 out of the 7 applications she submitted so far that we've heard from. I was also researching the honors programs at the schools on her list for her and there's a new deadline of 11/15 for Emory honors college and scholarship applications, so she has to get that one done and in ASAP! I think she's going to trim down her list and only actually apply to 9 schools instead of the 13 she had on the list before, which is good for her, I think she's a little burned out on essays, deadlines, and school specific questions!

Congrats! I asked DD if she's checked her college emails to see if she had heard anything and she was "no, I guess I should at some point." I swear she's going to kill me! Who knows what's waiting there for her --why did she go to all the trouble applying if she isn't going to check the status occasionally?:confused3

My son actually said he was a little bummed that he got the e-mail - he actually wanted to come home to the "thick" envelope instead of getting a heads up via e-mail ahead of time. :P

My son actually said he was a little bummed that he got the e-mail - he actually wanted to come home to the "thick" envelope instead of getting a heads up via e-mail ahead of time. :P

That's a good point-there is something so exciting about the big envelope...although in the Dark Ages when I was applying to schools, I received a "thin" letter from my dream school-my goal since I had been 10 or 11 years old. Through the tears I noticed a handwritten note saying what an exceptional record I had, which made me cry harder. Thankfully my little brother was around, actually read it and asked not very generously if Ive League people were supposed to be able to read:rolleyes:

So, there's also something good about email-no expectations of outcome based on the size of an envelope!

Congrats! I asked DD if she's checked her college emails to see if she had heard anything and she was "no, I guess I should at some point." I swear she's going to kill me! Who knows what's waiting there for her --why did she go to all the trouble applying if she isn't going to check the status occasionally?:confused3

I think partly, they want to put off the future just a little longer, but I also know that since the whole college process started, my DS has been buried by e-mail - most of them just 'look at us" ads, confirmations of info requested, that sort of thing...but it fills up so fast, he just feels overwhelmed to even read them all.

Today I could see DS's entire offer for one of his applications. He got 3 grants offers from that college. So do grants automatically stay all four years? He also received a scholarship offer from our local private college that he did not apply to because it does not have his major, hmmm.

Today I could see DS's entire offer for one of his applications. He got 3 grants offers from that college. So do grants automatically stay all four years? He also received a scholarship offer from our local private college that he did not apply to because it does not have his major, hmmm.
I think it depends on the grant/school and also grades - if they don't do well once they're there, they may lose it. We are still waiting for the official letter from the one DS got accepted to so far. Hopefully in the mail today, I would like to know the scholarship amount!

I'm sure you would have to ask the college if the grants are renewable. They might be automatic merit that renews with keeping up GPA, they could be based on FAFSA, you would have to get specifics from the school. Good to find out in advance if the school is affordable for all 4 years!

DD has been informed by the band teacher that she is playing piano for jazz band. She barely plays piano but she has managed to learn 1 of the 3 songs (the easiest one) and has till mid-January. Dang this girl likes to be busy!

Last edited:
We visited the school that DS has been accepted to today, and I think it was a good visit. A couple of things were not exactly what I expected, but it was better in the sense that it suits DS better, which is good. DS asked for a t-shirt, which I took as a sign that he liked it; he cut the tags off the shirt when we got home, so that's even better! He didn't have much to say on the drive home, but he fell asleep about 20 minutes into the drive.

We have the sports banquet tonight and absolutely nothing going on the rest of the weekend!

DS ran in his last cross country meet today. He didn't place where he wanted to, but he did PR, so that made him happy! He will spend a lot of this weekend on applications and preparing for interviews (Georgetown on Sunday and Holy Cross on Monday). The finish line is getting closer!

The musical is over, she just left to do strike and cast party. I'm so glad they did Cinderella for her senior year, it was so fun and of course right up her alley. It all went so well. This is the first time she has gotten sentimental over a "last" this year. She's even feeling pretty warm and fuzzy about the girls she hasn't always gotten along with so hopefully that feeling and their better behavior lasts since they'll probably be at college together. Here is DD as Fairy Godmother (white dress) in the carriage that DH made. Up front they had four girls in white clothes with white tulle manes to be pretty ponies. It was so neat!

Attachments

• carriage.jpg
    carriage.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 17
DD has appointments for interviews with Wooster and MIT, plus she's doing her job training for lifeguarding this weekend, so she's busy too! There are a lot of schools that have scholarship deadlines coming up (Emory is 11/15, Vanderbilt is 12/1, so I know there are lots) so if you haven't checked, check the schools your kids are applying to for those deadlines!

DD received her acceptance letter from Western State U and the scholarship offer was a bit better than we’d expected. She also received an invitation to apply to their honors program, which is intriguing in & of itself, but could potentially mean more scholarship help. So, she’s going to apply & see what happens.

I’m excited for her, but also sad that her plan to stay home 2 more years may not be. Plus, not having her around to drive her little sister places would suck LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!