Parents of the Class of 2019

Last night was our cross country banquet, so the season is now over. My son finally earned his varsity letter (has been plagued with injuries in previous seasons and was never able to fulfill all the requirements). He also got a captain award and the award for Most Improved. He had a really good night. He is still planning to do track. His XC coach is an assistant track coach who is in charge of the distance runners, and many of his XC friends will also run track, but it's still "not the same." The XC group is his family. So, it was a bittersweet night. It was great to see him reach his goals and it was a good night with his friends, but darn, it's sad that it's over.

Last night was our cross country banquet, so the season is now over. My son finally earned his varsity letter (has been plagued with injuries in previous seasons and was never able to fulfill all the requirements). He also got a captain award and the award for Most Improved. He had a really good night. He is still planning to do track. His XC coach is an assistant track coach who is in charge of the distance runners, and many of his XC friends will also run track, but it's still "not the same." The XC group is his family. So, it was a bittersweet night. It was great to see him reach his goals and it was a good night with his friends, but darn, it's sad that it's over.
Dd’s xc dinner was last night, too. As a captain, she gave a little speech about how much the members of the team made running 5k’s fun, and telling the younger runners that they will never meet a nicer group of kids. They were given framed photos and a visa gift card from the booster club. She was the top female runner on her team, she worked hard for that. She will do winter and spring track (with dd15 and ds15), but will miss the weekly pasta parties (track is too big).

She has the powderpuff game on Sunday, and the musical auditions tomorrow. So many lasts.

I don't know why I didn't check it until today, but I looked at College Confidential's pages for the top schools on my son's list and most are saying that the week of Dec 4th or Dec. 11th is when acceptances are sent out. I guess I can stop worrying about it for a couple weeks now. ;)

I don't know why I didn't check it until today, but I looked at College Confidential's pages for the top schools on my son's list and most are saying that the week of Dec 4th or Dec. 11th is when acceptances are sent out. I guess I can stop worrying about it for a couple weeks now. ;)
I didn’t even think of that! She hadn’t heard from any, but her friends who applied to the same schools haven’t either. The university of buffalo called her yesterday, I have no idea why, she’s not applying there and they didn’t ask about xc (DH took the call).

We are still waiting on the official offer from the school that called DS to tell him he's in. Makes me a little nervous but he and DH are heading up there in a few days so they'll ask. I know he's really in, it would be a huge fluke to not get into this particular school. He got a letter from another one he applied to, saying his recommender (who is an alumna) recommended him for a $1000 scholarship for using an alum for a recommendation. This is another place that is dying to get their hands on him but he hasn't been officially admitted yet...and it's not likely he'll actually go there because it's a little farther away than he would like. He still is working on those last two applications and unless he does a lot this weekend, I am not sure they will be in before Thanksgiving. I just want to be done.

Dd’s xc dinner was last night, too. As a captain, she gave a little speech about how much the members of the team made running 5k’s fun, and telling the younger runners that they will never meet a nicer group of kids. They were given framed photos and a visa gift card from the booster club. She was the top female runner on her team, she worked hard for that. She will do winter and spring track (with dd15 and ds15), but will miss the weekly pasta parties (track is too big).

She has the powderpuff game on Sunday, and the musical auditions tomorrow. So many lasts.
That must be a cross country thing, the pasta dinners. My kids' team does that too but indoor and outdoor track don't. Their awards ceremony is right after Thanksgiving and DS thinks he's going to get the coach's award. He is not fast (though he tries really hard) but was a captain and doesn't put up with "shenanigans" as my kids describe it. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get the award. The state meet was last Saturday and I can't believe his high school cross country career is over. My other DS is only a sophomore so we still have a couple more XC years left but it still makes me sad. This coach treats his team like they are family.

I guess I can stop worrying about it for a couple weeks now. ;)
Is that working?:teeth:

One of my DS's teacher just finished his recommendation on the 14th-he had one deadline on the 15th so the schools just got his transcripts this week. He applied to 6. One doesn't have a portal, one he applied to a week later-they still don't have his SAT scores, one said they didn't have his transcripts as of yesterday but the other 3 acknowledge they have everything. Two of the schools say they let you know within 2 weeks once they have everything so hopefully he'll hear something soon...One of the schools in his top 3 invited him to an off campus interview closer to us-he set that up for Dec 12th. We are both very anxious to hear some good news soon.

That must be a cross country thing, the pasta dinners. My kids' team does that too but indoor and outdoor track don't. Their awards ceremony is right after Thanksgiving and DS thinks he's going to get the coach's award. He is not fast (though he tries really hard) but was a captain and doesn't put up with "shenanigans" as my kids describe it. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get the award. The state meet was last Saturday and I can't believe his high school cross country career is over. My other DS is only a sophomore so we still have a couple more XC years left but it still makes me sad. This coach treats his team like they are family.
I know our soccer teams have pasta parties, it was insane, they had them before every single game, about 3 times a week. My kids were so sick of pasta!

I know our soccer teams have pasta parties, it was insane, they had them before every single game, about 3 times a week. My kids were so sick of pasta!
Many of our "pasta" dinners were not pasta. They had pizza and chicken and ribs at a couple of them.

Many of our "pasta" dinners were not pasta. They had pizza and chicken and ribs at a couple of them.
Thanks for this information! DH is always asking me if other areas serve things besides pasta. Granted, the dinners have different types of pasta (red, Alfredo, pesto, vodka, Mac and cheese...) plus sides like meatballs and sausage, salad and bread, but I think a pizza night might make things easier. Everyone here is Italian.

So, DD got her car stuck in the snow in the yard (after being told it was too dangerous to drive). And she wants to go to school in Colorado :headache:

One of the reasons I am pushing DD toward a short drive to Missouri rather than a longer drive to Minnesota! LOL I know you are in Missouri but odds are on more snow in MN overall! After the pole incident last winter hoping DD doesn't have any vehicle trouble for a good long time as DH gets growly over car issues.

Quiet weekend here for once. A bit of a reprieve after the musical. Tuesday night the sports seasons start again so she'll be singing at basketball games and watching her boyfriend at wrestling meets. All that will be fun though.

So, DD got her car stuck in the snow in the yard (after being told it was too dangerous to drive). And she wants to go to school in Colorado :headache:
Sometimes life is a better teacher than parents. ;)

This is the first year my DD actually has to have a car at school every day. She has to drive from the offsite Math/Physics Institute back to high school. No more pulling the plug and mom driving on iffy days. It's mid November and we've already had several iffy days. It's so stressful.

Yesterday DS got into another small liberal arts school and they gave him $28k merit scholarship and another $1k bc his teacher who wrote a recc is an alumna. Today, his welcome packet from the first school he got into arrived. $28k merit and another $1k visit incentive. We are very pleased. This puts both of these schools into the instate tuition range which is much more doable than their full price tags. I hope he enjoys his day there on Tues!

Well, in our defense, a big part of our official government snow removal plans is "wait until tomorrow"!

DD finished her training for her lifeguard job, and still has a couple of scholarship applications/honors college applications to finish up for round 1 of applications. Round 2 is only a couple and they're all on the Common App so will be much easier!

I know she's ready to be done, and so are we!

And with a snap of your fingers we are done. DD got accepted to all 6 of the schools she applied to.

There were only really 3 contenders. Truman State, Maryville and SouthEast Missouri State. When her ACT score came out and her perfect score in the reading section pulled up her overall score to a 30 and she realized that that would give her more money at SouthEast and the amount can increase each year she walked in Sunday and said Mom what day do you want to do the all day orientation so I can register for my classes.

You could have knocked me over with a feather. :faint: At the beginning of the month every time I mentioned the word commitment she flew into a hissy. So we are booked for orientation early next March. Now just to let the other schools know.

I really think she would have like to have gone to Maryville but after her generous scholarship the out of pocket was still close to $35K a year :scared1:. For her scholarship at Truman she would have had to do service hours each semester and she wanted to be free to study if she needed to.

I hope everyone get's there dream school!!!

Most applications are in, still need to get 10 words out of a supplemental essay (she wrote 3 of them with over 400 words, I had to edit down to 200, she’s very wordy). She hasn’t heard back from any schools, none of her friends have either. Maybe it’s the east coast? Ds20 only applied to one college, early action, he received his acceptance after thanksgiving. I’m not concerned about her getting in, but financial packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter