Parents of the Class of 2019

Sorry to read that Colleen. But yep, disappointments. We had one, she was in tears. But better now. We are telling her to carefully look at her options. The local school is just as good as the one 6 or so hours drive away, and the further away one is not really the campus she wanted. And we promised her, she could still live at the local school, the last 2 years of school. We still haven't heard from the last 2 she applied to, but it's really down to the the 2 yeses she got already. I'm still having a hard time saying she'll be in college next year.

Hope all have a joyous holiday season.

We got another acceptance to UMASS Lowell, and are waiting to hear from MIT on the 15th. I'm not sure if DD is even going to finish her last 2 applications, she's pretty burned out on all of it. We got an awards letter from Colorado State (her total safety school) and it was pretty measly, so I think we can probably write them off as a destination.

DS is 18 today. Where did the time go?? He just texted that he has an alumni interview for Georgetown on Friday. He hasn’t even submitted the application yet, but they make you pay the fee early to set up the profile, so I guess that’s how they schedule them?

Last edited:
Well, DD was deferred by Wellesley... Not quite rejected, because they do outright reject in the ED round (unlike some schools - I've been told Georgetown defers everyone!), but not a good sign either. I can't believe the numbers I'm seeing from accepted applicants on the College Confidential thread - 1500+ SATs and crazy resumes with national awards and such. That is WAY out of line with their freshman profile numbers so I'm hoping that the "normal" high-achieving kids have a better chance in the regular decision round. The deferral letter said that about 1 in 5 deferred applicants are admitted RD, and DD will have very strong midterm grades and possibly a state-level 4H award to add to her app by the revision deadline. So she's not giving up yet.

It was a rough night, though. She took it hard and was basically second guessing her entire approach to academic life, because she found out that a former teammate who went to public school is a freshman there this year. The friend got in with lower test scores, no AP classes (our public school offers next to none, a key reason we chose private) and a thinner overall resume but a much better class rank, and DD is feeling like she shot herself in the foot by choosing this high-achieving private school where a 4.1 GPA isn't even top 25% and taking Japanese when the in-person language classes are known as easy As and on and on. And I stepped in it big time by mentioning that I feel her second choice would offer more academic and professional/networking opportunity in her field and suggesting that sometimes disappointments end up working out for the best... Too soon! It was the single most teenage-drama moment I have EVER seen from this kid. Fortunately, it seems to have passed quickly enough. Her school is holding a performing arts showcase tonight and she's doing a scene with a friend, so that's kept her busy today. We'll see how she's doing when I meet them for dinner after the show.
I’m sorry...but it ain’t over yet! I hope she gets in regular decision.

DS is 18 today. Where did the time go?? He just texted that he has an alumni interview for Georgetown on Friday. He hasn’t even submitted the application yet, but they make you pay the fee early to set up the profile, so I guess that’s how they schedule them?

DS had his alumni interview in October. He still has not submitted his application yet. He's still working on it plus waiting for latest subject test scores. Georgetown is a far, far reach for DS and he knows that, but he still wants to give it a shot.

Happy Birthday to your DS!

DS had his alumni interview in October. He still has not submitted his application yet. He's still working on it plus waiting for latest subject test scores. Georgetown is a far, far reach for DS and he knows that, but he still wants to give it a shot.

Happy Birthday to your DS!
Georgetown is a reach for him too, but he said why not? And we said go for it. Kind of glad to hear he's not the only one working on the application still. Thanks for the birthday wishes for him. :)

DS was accepted his first choice: University of Illnois. Physics engineering.

He wants physics in liberal science; the dept head said have him apply engineering; the first two years are the same classes and if he wants to change he is allowed to easily; but if he wanted engineer it would be much harder for him to be in that at that time. Scholarships announced in February.

This school is closer to home and will prob be a better fit for him over all ~ whew.

Decisions were released for one of DS's top choices on their portal at midnight. DS was accepted, and was directly admitted to their business school.

He's heard from 3 of his 4 schools -- all acceptances -- including his top 2 choices. He got a scholarship offer from the one out-of-state school he applied to. The scholarship brought it down so it's comparable to "rack rate" at some of the in-state schools he applied to, but we're hoping to get some merit money at the in-state schools too, which would definitely make them cheaper. The out-of-state school wasn't really in his top 2 anyway, so I am guessing he'll stay in state.

All schools Dd heard back from offered her their top scholarship below Presidential (full ride), so she emailed one of the schools because her stats were a little higher than those listed on their website for the Presidential scholarship. The reply was that they notify those who receive it in February. So, there is still hope.

DS got 3 more acceptances. UMaine (his safety-bottom of list), Embry Riddle and Florida Tech. He's still waiting to hear from Clarkson. He had an interview with them last week in a hotel in MA. He said it went really well but he won't hear until Jan or Feb. FL Tech & Clarkson are top choices now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts