Parents of the Class of 2019

DS has decided he wants to run track for the first time this year. I'm not sure what brought that on, but he has gone running a few times already in the last week with a couple of kids from his class since practices haven't started yet. He also joined an indoor soccer league about an hour away from where we live. He has become more outgoing lately, and I think he is having fun with it.

We haven't nailed down a date for his graduation party yet, but I'm thinking we'll have it the weekend before graduation. He doesn't really want a party, but he said it would be okay to have something at MIL's house if we have to. DH needs to start working on his announcements; he has the software to do custom stuff and I am not good at that.

It's a senior thing, I think. My son has said he is going out for the tennis team (and he's not a tennis player, by any means). Not a lot of kids play tennis at his school (in fact, they may not have enough for a team), but the last few years, many of the senior athletes from other sports have decided to play (assuming, of course, they don't have a regular spring sport).

In lieu of a grad party, we're taking our boys to Maui. :) Our younger son will be graduating from 8th grade as well, so it's a dual celebration trip.

In lieu of a grad party, we're taking our boys to Maui. :) Our younger son will be graduating from 8th grade as well, so it's a dual celebration trip.

That sounds fun! My mom said something about a party and I told her that DD would probably take off after graduation to spend time with her friends so not to plan anything with DD! That said, we're doing a three generation trip to Europe in June so that will count as our celebration.

Did an Honors Breakfast/Accepted Students Day today at Dean. :)

DS has actually been leaning toward UNE lately, so he was almost hoping he'd hate something to rule this one out and make the decision easier. But we all loved it! - It's so close (while still being "away"), so supportive, and just an all-around nice environment. Plus, a couple of the teachers who presented reminded him of his favorite business teacher in high school. - They seem to have a very "real world" orientation, which he responds well to.

We also ran into a couple we know from way back at the parents' presentation. It was such a nice surprise!!

Dd liked Scranton. Did accepted students day, then a campus tour (with just one other girl, tbe6 were the only 2 out of many who wanted a campus/dorm/medical building tour). Dd emailed the track coach the day before, and he was excited to meet with her, said he looked up her times and would love to have her on the team. We toured the athletic campus, and met a couple of girls on the team, and then he had us come to his office to talk about things. UDel is division 1, so Dd would just do club track there.

Why must my kid wait until the last minute for everything? Honors college application for one of his top choices is due tomorrow and he just submitted it a couple days ago (only showed me one essay; hope the other was good!). Big scholarship opportunity in our county, application due tomorrow and he hasn't done it yet. You can't work on it and save but have to do it all at once. I suggested doing it today because tomorrow he starts spring track and also the server might be busy and kick him out. Then there's a scholarship from our electric company he's known about, deadline in April sometime and he could repurpose an essay but has he done it yet? No....

Why must my kid wait until the last minute for everything?...

I am so with you!!! Mine was miraculously saved by a two-hour snow delay this morning, because he literally fell asleep last night in the middle of working on a paper assigned weeks ago.

How can they not understand that it's less stressful to just do it ahead of time?

I am so with you!!! Mine was miraculously saved by a two-hour snow delay this morning, because he literally fell asleep last night in the middle of working on a paper assigned weeks ago.

How can they not understand that it's less stressful to just do it ahead of time?

I think they often misjudge how long it will take to do things. They think they have all the time in the world and then panic when they don't.

My son has been procrastinating on things too, and it is driving me crazy! He did finish a huge scholarship application "early"--it was due today, he finished it and submitted it on Tuesday. I have been after him to do it for two months! He has at least two more to do, they are for smaller local scholarships, but anything he can get will help. Those apps shouldn't be too bad at all.

He had the phone meeting with his financial counselor this afternoon. DH was listening too but DS actually took notes and asked good questions. He signed up for the app/whatever they use to find a roommate but he said he didn't put any info in because he doesn't know what to say. I think a roommate may be one of the harder things for him about all of this.

My son has been procrastinating on things too, and it is driving me crazy! He did finish a huge scholarship application "early"--it was due today, he finished it and submitted it on Tuesday. I have been after him to do it for two months! He has at least two more to do, they are for smaller local scholarships, but anything he can get will help. Those apps shouldn't be too bad at all.

He had the phone meeting with his financial counselor this afternoon. DH was listening too but DS actually took notes and asked good questions. He signed up for the app/whatever they use to find a roommate but he said he didn't put any info in because he doesn't know what to say. I think a roommate may be one of the harder things for him about all of this.
I agree about the roommate thing. DS is very sociable with his friends and family but likes his alone time and when he's traveled for school events, has not liked having a roommate. He's an early to bed, early to rise kind of guy and I think that may be hard for him to find someone compatible.

Why must my kid wait until the last minute for everything? Honors college application for one of his top choices is due tomorrow and he just submitted it a couple days ago (only showed me one essay; hope the other was good!). Big scholarship opportunity in our county, application due tomorrow and he hasn't done it yet. You can't work on it and save but have to do it all at once. I suggested doing it today because tomorrow he starts spring track and also the server might be busy and kick him out. Then there's a scholarship from our electric company he's known about, deadline in April sometime and he could repurpose an essay but has he done it yet? No....

My DD is the same! She had a huge (as in completely full ride possibility) application that she waited until the last minute in Oct. Conveniently, she had school off for Hurricane Michael. Inconveniently, the entire time I was worried about the electricity going out, plus I had no idea whether her guidance counselor would be able to do her part (especially since school was cancelled). To her guidance counsellor's credit, she kept checking all day and submitted her part around 8 pm. Sigh...kids...

Dd will mostly love having a roommate, hopefully a similar personality. Dd is a do-er, a joiner, never has downtime, loves socializing. She will not have any privacy issues, even in a communal bathroom (she and her friends use the bathroom together all of the time, and she’ll change in front of everyone, years of dance, theater, and dozens of times changing in the car). She’s never been a homebody. After three hours at accepted students day, she hugged it out with her two new best friends. She is definitely not a procrastinator, every minute is scheduled in her Lilly Pulitzer agenda pad, so no worries about scholarship applications (and I needed this after 4 years of high school executive functioning issues with ds20, I still have PTSD remembering trying to get him to get work done and hand thing in even close to on time).

We pretty much forced our son (as he will readily remind us) to go to the accepted student reception that the school is hosting for our area in a couple weeks. Our hope is that he meets at least a couple kids in our area so he might know some other freshmen this fall. He's still holding out hope that his one friend accepts at RIT as well - according to his friend, he wants to accept, but has to wait for financial air to come in before his parents will let him. If they can't afford it, our son might be scrambling to figure out a roommate, so we'll see.

This is (I believe) our 8th snow day of the year. And DD is making up all of them because of the district's crazy scheduling. Almost no spring break left. We didn't even get that much, and it was Saturday night so plenty of time to clear it. I guess it's because it got down to 0 last night. She hasn't had a full 5 day week since before Christmas.

This is (I believe) our 8th snow day of the year. And DD is making up all of them because of the district's crazy scheduling. Almost no spring break left. We didn't even get that much, and it was Saturday night so plenty of time to clear it. I guess it's because it got down to 0 last night. She hasn't had a full 5 day week since before Christmas.

Oh, that sucks! Parents here would actually complain big time if they tried to take away vacations. - So many people travel south during those weeks.

Instead, we build in five snow days, and then tack onto the end of the year if necessary. (But because seniors finish earlier, they're exempt from those make-up days.)

Oh, that sucks! Parents here would actually complain big time if they tried to take away vacations. - So many people travel south during those weeks.

Instead, we build in five snow days, and then tack onto the end of the year if necessary. (But because seniors finish earlier, they're exempt from those make-up days.)
Our district hasn't built in snow days in years. And we get plenty of snow. It's crazy.

When our older 2 were in school seniors didn't have to make them up. Now they've structured the schedule so seniors do. One of DD's teachers said the district makes about $100K additional keeping the seniors like that. It's so annoying. I already told her we'll take some hooky days of our own later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter