Parents of the Class of 2019

DD worked as a lifeguard at our local rec center, but they're closed with the current "Safer at home" orders and no idea when they're going to open up. So, after her last final on Friday she wants to apply at Target as they're hiring. She has a job lined up at school next year so it would just be a summer job. I'm not really worried about her catching in, in fact I'm pretty sure she's already had it back in January during Christmas break, and she likes to have her own money.

She got a survey from her school about the online learning, and when they should allow students back on campus, and let them know that she wouldn't be returning if they're not allowing students on campus, based on what she's said, a lot of students said the same so they've sent out a later notification that they definitely planned to have students on campus no matter what learning structure they're going to adopt (they did talk about a hybrid setup, some classes in person and then online and alternate students who are "in person" to keep numbers down).

Grades are starting to trickle in - first two classes that are posted are both A's, so that's good :thumbsup2

Not sure if he's going to get the job that he was planning on working this summer - it was assisting at an engineering summer camp, but they're probably going to end up having to go virtual with it, so there probably won't be a need for assistants now. A co-worker of my wife's was asking him if he wanted to do some babysitting for their toddler son, so he might do that for some spare money for now.

School year ended just past midnight. She was working all day to finish things up plus one final got moved up from Friday so that stressed her out a bit having to do that late last night. That's the one class she's had issues with online- he doesn't notify kids of changes etc. But it doesn't matter now.

I got a long hug after she realized that was the last thing. Since she's working close to full time it will be nice to take school off her plate.

She does get the key to her apartment Sunday so we're going to move some stuff in. At least we know where she'll be living come fall, whether classes are in person or not.

Found out this week that family church camp is cancelled- my girls were going to be Assistant Leaders. Basically the last nail for DD as we'd held out hope August would be ok. So my sister and I are going to try to get cabins at camp anyway and do our own thing for a week as a consolation.

Finals aren't over here until next week. Just Calc 2 though. Had a minor panic moment earlier in the week when she realized the laptop she was using wasn't going to be powerful enough to run the CAD program she needed for her project. On campus she had just been going to the computer lab so hadn't budgeted for a new laptop. I ended up letting her load it on mine, but I think I saw smoke coming out the back as it struggled to load initially. :surfweb:

DS finished up finals yesterday. Now he waits...they get to see their grades and then decide if they want the actual grades or pass/fail. He said he feels pretty good about his actual grades, but it's nice to be able to wait and see.

DS finished up finals yesterday. Now he waits...they get to see their grades and then decide if they want the actual grades or pass/fail. He said he feels pretty good about his actual grades, but it's nice to be able to wait and see.

DD has another week before she's done, think her last finals are on Wednesday. But her university is giving them the same option, on a course by course basis. She doesn't think she's going to need it, and a couple of her professors have mentioned that they haven't yet received guidance about what the pass/fail option will mean for courses with a grade requirement for pre-reqs (ex., to take Japanese 3, she has to get at least a C in JPN2). But it is a nice service to offer students who might be struggling to cope with all the upheaval and the loss of so many campus support resources.

My daughter is finished her finals and she is waiting on grades. Things were looking good going into finals but now she’s worried. One professor didn’t teach once classes stopped and the final was a department final for which she was definitely not prepared. She’s also worried that not all kids were honest and curves will be affected. Oh well, after having major health issues at the beginning of the semester requiring hospitalization, I’m just glad this semester is over.

I am very interested to see what the fall looks like. My daughter’s school does not have any policies in place that protects kids who get sick. They have an advocacy group who have no official say and students are at the mercy of every professor. I’m wondering if other schools have policies that protect the kids. What happens if a student misses two weeks of class because they test positive and need to quarantine?

DD's lease for next year started yesterday so we went and got her key and moved some stuff in so it wouldn't be in our house anymore. I was glad to get to see it in person. It's really cute. In an old house with "character" but I like that.

Drove on campus to return her textbooks in a drop box and it looked so nice in spring. She had been looking forward to being on campus when it was warm and the flowers were blooming.

DS's grades are in (B or B+ in everything) and he's supposed to start his one summer course on Monday, but hasn't received any info about a book requirement yet. He's assuming it will be an on-line text, but e-mailed his advisor just in case there's someplace else he doesn't realize he's supposed to look. (It the first planned on-line course he's done, so it's all new.)

He did get the summer job, and started this week. I've been calmer than I thought I'd be, but still not completely comfortable. He said the customers were snotty yesterday because he doesn't know everything yet, even though he offered to find someone who did. :( I told him it's likely that what they're actually on edge about is the "new normal" (I hate that term) of shopping right now, and not to take it personally, but I do hope he has a better day today.

DS said he should know tomorrow if he'll have a summer job (camp counselor at a zoo).

DD20 has been looking for something online or outside that she would be comfortable doing with her asthma, but no luck yet. Worst case, we will put her to work around the house, yard, etc.

DD's job is going well, there are times when she's not busy enough so the day can seem long but overall it's a really good deal for her. Still waiting on word whether they can host day camps for small groups of kids. That will help.

Last night she got to see her boyfriend for the first time in over 2 months, at an outdoor event for the HS seniors. She needed that, it was the one thing dragging her down lately. He's going to be at his mom's on the weekends now (which is closer to us) and we're going to let them see each other so things are looking up in her world ;)

DS finished his finals last week. He is still waiting for one class to finalize his grade, but he doesn't expect it to change from what he has now... so he thinks he'll end up with a 3.8 for the semester, which would be awesome. Either way, I think he'll make the deans list again.

He was supposed to start his summer job this week, but somehow he didn't get on the schedule. He talked to the manager who said she'd make sure he's on for next week... and said she'd put him on the top of the call-list if they have any call-offs for this week. I am not looking forward to him going back.

First pass/fail class is in now - he got a B- in his math (Differential Equations) class. He figured as much - I think he was doing pretty well in the class before break, but he had a hard time learning it virtually. That, and he said the tests were a lot harder. Oh well, at least he passed.
Plenty of students struggle with Diff EQ in person. Online would suck. Congrats to him on keeping a respectable grade in spite of the circumstances.

DD didn't get the job at Target, they told her they're not currently hiring, so she's going to start doing some freelance graphic design for a friend's father's company. We'll see how that goes. I know she's just waiting for the rec centers to reopen so she can get back to lifeguarding. She's got her immersive scholars job lined up for next semester if it's in person so this is really icing on the cake, and spending money.

She's been done with finals for a couple of weeks now, she did well in her classes so we're glad that's all behind us! Now to just keep our fingers crossed that she gets to go back to campus in the fall!

My DD does not finish her quarter until June 10. Three weeks to go! This Spring Quarter at home feels like it has stretched on for...ev....er. All classes are mandatory Satisfactory (if you earn a C- or above) or no credit—no choice to choose to have a grade—but she is still working hard and has all As right now.
In an interesting twist on “what is my college kid going to do this summer,” Stanford sent the students an email a week ago offering a chance to apply to a lottery for 300 spots to take a completely free summer school class. There were about 10 to choose from and all met some graduation requirement—a fine art, language, etc. She entered the lottery for a 5 unit class. Both of her summer jobs went to an online virtual format, so she felt like she could also do a class. Waiting now to see if she “wins the lottery”.

DS passed all his classes. Our state goes to phase 3 tomorrow for opening back up. He doesn’t really wish to go into town, he would rather people come to our house to swim, play board game or sword fight.

It is raining here all the time. DS is mowing 4 places for spending money, for his school year money. He is mowing each piece basically every five to six days. $$

DS is taking sociology class online now and will take calc 3 online, it starts the week after sociology ends. Crazy side note it is way cheaper for him to take 2 online classes from U of I, then it was for DD to take 2 classes at a community college that we were out of district for.
He is Interested in a minor so summer classes will help.
Fall classes were picked and he got ok times. Next year he will be in a dorm room that will have 4 single bedroom that have doors that open into a small living room and then has its own bathroom area with 2 sinks outside of the bathroom. DH is really happy, with covid, that he is not sharing a bedroom this year.

DD has been struggling with various health issues, and been worried about her grandpa's health. Then on Monday our dog died. She had been with us for most of DD's life. Working full time with a longer commute through all this was really making her stressed so yesterday she talked to her boss about cutting back a bit and it's fine. So that's a relief. It's been really weird to see her so down and subdued, it's not like her.

Also she hasn't been able to see her boyfriend except that one time but now is told they can take walks around the lake together. Hopefully soon her kayak will come in and they can do that too. A friend is coming out to sit on the patio tonight. Socialization does her good.

I'm happy, also, that DD will be in an apartment with her own bedroom and just one other girl. We're going down next Friday to get her bed in.

Her job has made her decide to change her emphasis within her major so she's going to try switching out a couple of classes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!