Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Quick textbook question: My dd just ordered some books last night. She just noticed that there is a disclaimer that says: Supplements and Access codes may not be included for rental/used books. I'm wondering if she was supposed to buy these books new? Maybe it has this disclaimer on every book? This is thru Amazon if that matters. It doesn't specifically say on her college page that books have to be new. It is a pretty big price difference. I'm wondering if she should try and ask these teachers. Nothing like the last minute doing this. I'm not even sure what I'm asking you guys but I'm wondering if there is a code that she will need but that isn't coming with these used/rental books.

My daughter never orders her books until the professors verify that is what they want- this semester she was able to get 2 in online format for free and her total for all her books was less than 100.00, she only needed online code and not the whole book for 2 of them- she also sold a few she had from last semester so that was good.

We waited too long last semester and my DD's Calc book was sold out. It was a special version of the book just for the UW-Madison. She ended up buying a very beat-up one from another student for way too much. I figure she can plan on selling it at the last minute and getting some of her money back.

I am a little annoyed with her. She has not picked out all her classes because she was originally unable to sign up for a class that she wanted. She did not follow up on availability so she's not even signed up for full time. I have been taking a back seat in this ... it's her deal and her consequences.

My kids also wait until the first day of classes to buy books. They've been burned before for buying from the bookstore list. Usually the profs give them tips on how to save money (like buy the online book or which older editions are still acceptable, or they change it up and don't even have a textbook). Students don't know any of this until the first class. I don't do the book shopping for them either. They do it themselves. I give them a set amount of money for books. They shop for the best deals, and whatever is left over they can keep. It gives them an incentive to get the best prices and consider all options. If they go over budget, they just have to tell me why (new edition only or university specific books) and I give them the extra money. DS's program has all university specific books that cost $1000 a semester, and there is absolutely nothing he can do about it!

We waited too long last semester and my DD's Calc book was sold out. It was a special version of the book just for the UW-Madison. She ended up buying a very beat-up one from another student for way too much. I figure she can plan on selling it at the last minute and getting some of her money back.

See, I think it depends on the school and the classes (and also how nervous you get). This is exactly the reason we haven't waited. DS has had all his books and codes before classes began the last two semesters. Out of curiosity, I did follow up and look up some of his books once the semester started, and many of them were sold out (esp. used or rentals) or priced much higher. I don't have the stomach to wait - too much anxiety.

To those of you scoring books for the semester $100 or less - wow! That is awesome! Great job!

DS pays for his own books and has enough saved for $500/semester. He has come in just under budget the last two semesters at around $450.

My daughter has her books for this semester. She mostly rented through amazon. The costs really aren't that bad, definitely under $200. I know not all semesters will be that good. The ones she's bought are in course she plans to continue and will be good for reference.

Quote:

"@$^&&%##^&%$^@#%$$#@&**%#@^"

- DH filling out the FAFSA. He HATES it!

It's his fourth time too! You'd think he'd remember how to do it after 4 times, but he still gets all confused and flustered, can't find the documents he needs, can't remember which categories things go in, passwords don't work, and on and on and on. Poor guy! Thank goodness for google!

Last edited:

Quote:

"@$^&&%##^&%$^@#%$$#@&**%#@^"

- DH filling out the FAFSA. He HATES it!

It's his forth time too! You'd think he'd remember how to do it after 4 times, but he still gets all confused and flustered, can't find the documents he needs, can't remember which categories things go in, passwords don't work, and on and on and on. Poor guy! Thank goodness for google!

FAFSA was the easiest one- took all of 5 minutes- they import the info right from your tax return- it was the CSS Profile that took me longer to do.

FAFSA was the easiest one- took all of 5 minutes- they import the info right from your tax return- it was the CSS Profile that took me longer to do.
He still has to do the CSS for DS. DD's school doesn't require it. I keep telling him that it's worth it! DS got a $10,000 scholarship for this year because of it.

FAFSA is still frustrating to me, even though this was our 5th time filling it out. We seem to make the same mistake every time on it....reporting "untaxed income". I always forget to put in the amount we contributed to 401k the previous year. They don't ask for your retirement savings balance so I always forget that they DO want to know what you put into retirement just for the year you're reporting to FAFSA. I'm guessing that a lot of people make this mistake.

My kids' classes start tomorrow. I have no idea when or where they buy their books. That is totally on them to shop around and buy them. We pay tuition and help with about 1/2 the room/board...they pay the other 1/2 of room/board, books/clothes/spending money.

He still has to do the CSS for DS. DD's school doesn't require it. I keep telling him that it's worth it! DS got a $10,000 scholarship for this year because of it.

I don't have a problem with FAFSA. The CSS is a beast IMO. Luckily my daughter's school only required it for freshman year.

They won't consider adjustments to the CSS for future aid but will accept an appeal.

DD is starting Semester 2 today. It was wonderful having her home for a full month!!

She ended up with one B+, and the rest A's. That darn chemistry,lol!

She is in a quad room, with 3 other girls. They've gotten along very well, and it seems to be going smoothly. DD got together with 2 of them over break, since they missed each other. The other gal has a boyfriend, so you know...

DD plans to do the sorority thing, which begins next week. Crossing my fingers that she gets accepted into her favorite!

She's also applying for a scholarship, and it's a big deal for her. Any extra good thoughts would be appreciated!!!!

DD is starting Semester 2 today. It was wonderful having her home for a full month!!

She is in a quad room, with 3 other girls. They've gotten along very well, and it seems to be going smoothly. DD got together with 2 of them over break, since they missed each other. The other gal has a boyfriend, so you know...

DD plans to do the sorority thing, which begins next week. Crossing my fingers that she gets accepted into her favorite!

She's also applying for a scholarship, and it's a big deal for her. Any extra good thoughts would be appreciated!!!!
I hope sorority recruitment goes smoothly for your daughter. It is one heck of a roller coaster ride! Mine needed to talk things through with me each night after the parties were done. After she accepted her bid, she texted me saying "thanks for being there for me mom." Tell your daughter to keep an open mind and give every house a chance. She'll be able to tell which houses she gels with pretty quickly. Good luck!

Congrats on your daughter's grades. My daughter ended up with a B in multi variable calculus and the rest A's. Deans list at her school is 3.75 and she ended up with a 3.70. That seems to be the story of her life but we're proud of her and she's very proud of herself.

Good luck with rush. Part of me wishes my daughter was interested but part of me is glad she has no interest.

I hope sorority recruitment goes smoothly for your daughter. It is one heck of a roller coaster ride! Mine needed to talk things through with me each night after the parties were done. After she accepted her bid, she texted me saying "thanks for being there for me mom." Tell your daughter to keep an open mind and give every house a chance. She'll be able to tell which houses she gels with pretty quickly. Good luck!

Congrats on your daughter's grades. My daughter ended up with a B in multi variable calculus and the rest A's. Deans list at her school is 3.75 and she ended up with a 3.70. That seems to be the story of her life but we're proud of her and she's very proud of herself.

Good luck with rush. Part of me wishes my daughter was interested but part of me is glad she has no interest.

Thank you both!!
I didn't join a sorority during my college days, so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the rushing suggestions, Mrs. Ciz!!
Congrats to your DD on her outstanding grades, Poohforyou!

Congratulations on your dd's grades!

My biggest piece of advice for sorority recruitment is for her to be herself and and to trust in the process. I think that winter/spring recruitment is different than fall recruitment but she should know that her favorite going into recruitment may not be her favorite at the end and that she'll end up where she belongs with girls who are like her. My DD's two favorites went by the wayside part way through the fall recruitment and now she can't imagine being with another sorority than AXD.

Congratulations on your dd's grades!

My biggest piece of advice for sorority recruitment is for her to be herself and and to trust in the process. I think that winter/spring recruitment is different than fall recruitment but she should know that her favorite going into recruitment may not be her favorite at the end and that she'll end up where she belongs with girls who are like her. My DD's two favorites went by the wayside part way through the fall recruitment and now she can't imagine being with another sorority than AXD.
Thanks robinb! I will pass along all these great tips!

FAFSA is still frustrating to me, even though this was our 5th time filling it out. We seem to make the same mistake every time on it....reporting "untaxed income". I always forget to put in the amount we contributed to 401k the previous year. They don't ask for your retirement savings balance so I always forget that they DO want to know what you put into retirement just for the year you're reporting to FAFSA. I'm guessing that a lot of people make this mistake.

My kids' classes start tomorrow. I have no idea when or where they buy their books. That is totally on them to shop around and buy them. We pay tuition and help with about 1/2 the room/board...they pay the other 1/2 of room/board, books/clothes/spending money.
I asked DH about this and he had no idea what I was talking about. So chances are we have been making the same mistake. Would you mind explaining what we are supposed to do with the 401k contributions? I would really appreciate any insight you can give!

I asked DH about this and he had no idea what I was talking about. So chances are we have been making the same mistake. Would you mind explaining what we are supposed to do with the 401k contributions? I would really appreciate any insight you can give!

I think I realized it by looking up "common mistakes on the FAFSA"...and yet some articles don't specifically talk about it. Here's a quote from one webpage "FAFSA lines 44A through 44J and 92A through 92I ask about untaxed income. The amount of contributions made to a 401(k) account must be listed here. While the contributions might be tax free, this income is counted on the FAFSA and can impact the amount of financial aid you will receive. "

Basically, your 401K built up savings aren't counted....but...for whatever tax year you are reporting on the FAFSA, you're supposed to report how much you put into tax deferred retirement savings. You report it on the line called "untaxed income". So, it's not the accumulated value of your 401k...just what you put in that year that you have to report on the FAFSA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!