Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Just out of curiosity, what majors are your children that they need Calc 3? DS19 is an Environmental Science major/ Chemistry minor and needs Calc. 1 & 2 and Statistics.

Just out of curiosity, what majors are your children that they need Calc 3? DS19 is an Environmental Science major/ Chemistry minor and needs Calc. 1 & 2 and Statistics.

My son is chemical engineering and needs Calc 3. My older son needed it for Bioprocess engineering, and my daughter needed it for Environmental Resource Engineering.

I needed Calc 3 back in the day when I got my degree in Computer Sciences. I am still shocked I made it through alive LOL.

My daughter's major doesn't require calc 3 but she loves math and wanted to finish out calc. She does need stat but she has that covered with AP credit. She has AP credit for calc AB as well.

Late responding to some of this, but... crazy about the Cabo incident! We always felt that was one of the safest places we went in Mexico, but it has been a year or so since we've been. So glad people stepped in to help.

Sleeping in someone else's bed without permission is not OK!

DD's school offers a limited selection of classes in an intensive spring and/or summer mini session format, both half the length of a normal semester. DD is staying for spring, but will be home for summer, well part of it anyway. She'll need to be back early in the fall for track, and she's volunteering at a leadership camp the weekend before school starts. so we won't have her for long. That may not be all bad though.

Speaking of volunteering, I'm all for it, but I'm finding the expectations on these kids can be a bit much.
DD's camp is only 1 weekend, so that one isn't a big deal at all, I'm really glad she's doing it.
But DS is spending a month in South America this summer as an unpaid trip leader for a youth mission group. Granted I'm sure it will be a great experience, he will be doing something good, his travel is free, and it will look good on a resume, but I don't think some small compensation would be out of line since it's not only more than full time hours for a full month, but all the time for training and planning before the trip too. It doesn't help that he has to give up pretty much all his summer hours at his part time job to do it.
Worse than that though, I was talking to a cute young sales gal at Nordstrom yesterday. She'll be graduating with a degree in fashion merchandising and all she's been able to find so far are unpaid internships. I think those can be great learning experiences when done as part of a degree program, but tough to make them work after graduation. She said the best internships basically want commitment of full time job hours plus. She said she can't figure out a way to make any of the internships she's been offered work and still make enough to pay her rent, even if Nordstrom is willing to work with her on having such limited availability for part time work. How do they expect these kids to live?
Anyway, a bit off topic, but something I've been seeing with my college age kids and others.

Late responding to some of this, but... crazy about the Cabo incident! We always felt that was one of the safest places we went in Mexico, but it has been a year or so since we've been. So glad people stepped in to help.

Whats the cabo incident? Can someone fill me in?

For my dd 26 more days to go and she will be home-yipeee!

Hi I hope you guys don't mind me joining your thread. I've recently rediscovered the Dis. My daughter is finishing up her freshman year of college at a nearby state university. She just turned 16 so we had asked her to stay close to home because of that. However, we just moved to a new area and she hates it here so we are allowing her to go to her college of choice next year. Halfway across the country.

Whats the cabo incident? Can someone fill me in?

For my dd 26 more days to go and she will be home-yipeee!
The son of one of my facebook friends was arrested by the Federal Police in Cabo over spring break along with a friend. They were not doing anything wrong. The police arrested the two American kids from the University of Wisconsin to shake them down and took all their money, their phones and their shoes (!). A mom from Kansas witnessed the arrest and managed to get the boys' information from them before they were taken away. A dad from Wisconsin went to the police station and personally bailed them out (paid off the police even more money). It was a terrible experience for the kids. The son went back to his resort and spent the rest of his spring break at the resort and mostly in his room. His mom could not get him out sooner than his return flight.

I felt particularly bad about the whole thing since my friend messaged me and asked me what I thought about Cabo before he went to spring break and I said that I thought it was fine. I was wrong. Since then I have read many reports about Americans being targeted in Mexican resort areas: from poisoned liquor (the hospitals are in cahoots with the resort employees -- the employee poisons you then takes you to the hospital where they charge you a hefty fee), to rape, to assault all the way to murder. And it just doesn't happen to young adults, it happens to young and old. If you can't trust the employees of the resort and when you can't trust the medical professionals at a hospital and when you can't trust the police ... who can you trust? I know there are bad apples everywhere but it just seems the whole orchard is infested. My DD wants to go off somewhere for Spring Break next year where the drinking age is below 21 but I guarantee you it won't be Mexico.

Mexico has been "off limits" to our DS always - he started college in 2008 but even then, the University sent out warnings to parents/students that Mexico really was not a good idea.
The story RobinB shared seems to be more and more common - Thank God that American Dad bailed the kids out.

Hi I hope you guys don't mind me joining your thread. I've recently rediscovered the Dis. My daughter is finishing up her freshman year of college at a nearby state university. She just turned 16 so we had asked her to stay close to home because of that. However, we just moved to a new area and she hates it here so we are allowing her to go to her college of choice next year. Halfway across the country.

Welcome! Are you nervous about the distance? My HS junior is looking at a college 9 hours away. She will turn 18 during the first week of college so she'll be a little older than yours but it's causing me just a little anxiety :) Hope your DD finds the new school to be a great fit!

Well that's a wrap! Picked up my daughter on Friday and all of her belongings and brought her home. Her last final was Wednesday but gave her the extra day to spend there with her boyfriend. Now its all unpacking and repacking for the trip we leave on tomorrow! Can't wait to spend 2 weeks in the car reconnecting with my daughter!

Well that's a wrap! Picked up my daughter on Friday and all of her belongings and brought her home. Her last final was Wednesday but gave her the extra day to spend there with her boyfriend. Now its all unpacking and repacking for the trip we leave on tomorrow! Can't wait to spend 2 weeks in the car reconnecting with my daughter!
Road trips with a returning college student are the BEST. Have a great time!

Have a great time on your trip!!! Mine is done late on May 8th. I have to take a day off work to pick her up on the 9th. My house is going to look like crap with 2 dorm rooms exploding all over it. I may have to buy some giant bins so they can store all the dorm stuff in the garage without it getting buggy.

DD had big news this week! She got a campus job for next year with the school’s rec sports department. Hundreds of kids apply for the rec sports jobs, so she was psyched to be one of the 30-40 chosen to interview but figured she’d not get one because it’s so competitive. She got picked to interview for 2 different jobs and got hired as a gym customer service attendant. She’ll check people into the gym, give gym tours, sell the school gym passes. She is so excited!!!!!

Welcome! Are you nervous about the distance? My HS junior is looking at a college 9 hours away. She will turn 18 during the first week of college so she'll be a little older than yours but it's causing me just a little anxiety :) Hope your DD finds the new school to be a great fit!
DD is heading 900 miles in August - its a 13 hr drive and no direct flights. I'm not nervous about the actual distance as I am the inability to get to her quickly if need be. Fortunately I have a dear friend I met here on the Dis about 12 years ago who is within 3 hours and would drop everything to get to DD if need be, that gives me some comfort.
DD is thrilled and cannot wait to depart

DD is heading 900 miles in August - its a 13 hr drive and no direct flights. I'm not nervous about the actual distance as I am the inability to get to her quickly if need be. Fortunately I have a dear friend I met here on the Dis about 12 years ago who is within 3 hours and would drop everything to get to DD if need be, that gives me some comfort.
DD is thrilled and cannot wait to depart

DD16 was all set to "go away" but this weekend expressed her reservations about the distance for the first time. So we are keeping that school as a good financial safety in our back pocket but back to the drawing board for other options should she decide to stay closer to home. Just can't find anything affordable that's close.

DD19 had class this morning and then one Wednesday morning and she's done. She's coming home today to go to a HS track meet and cheer on her old teammates. I think I'll ride with her- too bad DD16 has soccer practice. Tuesday's soccer game is near school so she will go watch that and then back to her apartment. She'll have two weeks off before summer semester. She's planning to visit BFF at school before she is done for the year, and then DD's roommates are planning a little road trip to Mall of America. Between that and working every weekend, we may not see her much over break.

Spent the day with DD yesterday. We talked about summer school classes shes going to take. She signed up but was having issues. They sent her an edu email to the summer school but she doesn't have an email there so she has to call so they send it to her current email. She was so stressed out. I told her since its done online they automatically send that message but hopefully they see her email she put down . I told her to call and verify. She will be home in three weeks.

She got her room with the girl she's in program with. Sounded like a good fit but DD is getting annoyed with her already. They have class together and working in a group project. Future room mate isn't pulling her weight, not showing up for project meetings, canceled twice and always on her phone. I told DD not off to a good start. On a positive not DD will only have to deal with her M-Th because girl will leave home for the weekend after class on Thursday afternoon. The 2nd roommate they don't know but her questionnaire was no drinking, no drugs, no visitors so hopefully she's true to that. DD is coming out of her shell and being more vocal about things and taking the lead on group assignments when others don't. She's shown how mature she is.

I'm starting to look for deals for stuff on the apartment. I know dd will need a few things for the kitchen. Not sure how that will work with all the girls. I know she will need on of those individual smoothie blenders

My DD comes home tomorrow and I can't believe her freshman year is over already.

My mom always told me that time goes faster the older you get, but this is unbelievable. I don't think this is fair. I think it should go slower the older you get because you are better able to enjoy it.

She had a great year other than a track injury (shoulder impingement), so I am not sure if she will do track next year or not. I don't want her doing any permanent damage for a voluntary sport. She is D3, so she doesn't get any scholarship money for athletics, it is all for merit, so it doesn't matter if she participates or not.

She is coming home to work at the Country Club this summer, where she normally works 40-50 hours per week. I would like her to take a summer school class through our local CC, but I am not sure she is hip with that. She had enough hours from dual credits that she could probably shave at least 1 semester off her undergrad, which would leave more money available for grad school, but we will have to see.

She and her new bestie signed up to room together next year in a suite dorm. They won't have suite mates, but will have a private bath, all at the same price as the freshman communal bath dorm, so that is nice.

I am glad the majority of our students had a good year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter