Parents will be RVing from GA to CO

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

My parents are coming to Georgia for my daughter's graduation. Then they are leaving to head to Colorado (Lakewood) for my sister's girl's dance show. They are bringing their RV. They have never done the route from Atlanta to Lakewood, CO.

Do any of you Disney RVers done that route?? Have you stopped camped anywhere that you especially liked? It is a 22 mapped drive but I added on another 4 for pulling the RV. They really don't like to drive more than 6 hours per day. So I kind of mapped it in my head for example drive 8 hours camp, drive 6 hours camp 2 nights, drive 7 hours, camp and then finish it on a Friday 5 hours. But of course it all depends on where the campgrounds are.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you very very much!

Carrie

I've sort of done the route a number of times. I live outside St Louis and have done STL to Atlanta too many times to remember and STL to Denver at least a half dozen times. We typically drove 8-12 hours each day though. I can help with a first stop From ATL. 6 hours would put them near Paducah, Ky. There is a state park just into Illinois, Ft Massac S.P.. It is just off the interstate, but far enough away to not be noisy. Nothing fancy, but great for an overnight. If that is a bit too far. Our normal after work stop over heading to the Fort is in Clarksville, TN (Exit 1 on I-24) Clarksville RV Park. It is only about 5 hours from ATL (depending on where and when they leave). Very convenient and they cater to the overnight crowd with pull throughs right out front.

j

Hi everyone!

My parents are coming to Georgia for my daughter's graduation. Then they are leaving to head to Colorado (Lakewood) for my sister's girl's dance show. They are bringing their RV. They have never done the route from Atlanta to Lakewood, CO.

Do any of you Disney RVers done that route?? Have you stopped camped anywhere that you especially liked? It is a 22 mapped drive but I added on another 4 for pulling the RV. They really don't like to drive more than 6 hours per day. So I kind of mapped it in my head for example drive 8 hours camp, drive 6 hours camp 2 nights, drive 7 hours, camp and then finish it on a Friday 5 hours. But of course it all depends on where the campgrounds are.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you very very much!

Carrie

It will be a couple of additional hours each day. We just finished a return trip home from TN to PA. Google maps says it is 603 miles and will take 9 hours and 13 mins. Well towing our trailer and with only 4 bathroom stops of about 15 mins each time it took us 11 hrs and 30 mins, door to door. I did not stop for lunch, ate my sandwich while driving. Now I usually set my cruise control about 68 mph, so that slows us down some, as we are not on fire like some campers I see on the highway.
Going down a 5 hr and 30 min trip per google took us nearly 7 hours, but there was blinding rain, 55mph wind and sometimes we were only doing 40 mph on the highway, as was everyone else.

This should be moved to the camping community board.
Since there isn't as much traffic on the CCB I usually let people get some feedback before moving a post especially if it has something to do with camping. Campers help each other out.

We have small children (not sure if your parents have small children or small bladders), so it ALWAYS takes us much longer than the map projects. We also don't get in a hurry and we don't go over 70mph, even when the speed limit is 75, because we don't want to overheat the tires.
On our most recent trip, a 5.5 hour drive took us 8 hours. We did stop to get food at Buccee's, but ate in the truck, and we took our time at restroom breaks.

Thanks everyone. I sent this to my mom. Can't send it to my dad, he still uses a flip phone! Sorry if I posted it on the wrong board, I usually only read the budget board and the camping at Disney board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!