Park Crowds today [4/15/19] like turning on a faucet

I'm wondering now if this trend of "long weekend holiday crowds" are going to continue for Memorial Day Weekend as well. We have done this particular time of the year before, and found the crowds manageable, but I am wondering if this year the crowds and wait times are going to be more similar to the bigger holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. We have a good plan of action in place, but still. Touring plans keeps raising the crowd levels and now has MK the Sunday before Memorial Day at a 10 and shows on my plan to now have BTMRR at a 40 min standby wait time 15 min after park opening....so this should be interesting :rotfl2:
We're going then, too. TP keeps raising those CL every few months, so the handwriting has been on the wall for a while now. At first, we had some days as low as a 3- now the lowest is a 6 or 7. But I did have enough time to take some proactive steps, because we can't change our plans, it's that week or never.

That particular Sunday, we're taking the day off from the parks! :crazy2:

Don't worry. Once we start paying for FPs this will stop. ;)
Well, it will for me because I did.
We haven't visited for a few years and the price of club level FP & dessert party seemed proportionately rather small compared to total cost, with a relatively big impact. My only regret is that they put out DAH dates too late to work with our plans, or I'd have done that on at least a couple of our days, instead of the extra FP.

Without the paid upgrades, we wouldn't go. It's as simple as that. There are a lot of other places to go besides Disney World- which I guess is why we haven't visited for quite some time.

Just checked the app and FOP has a 225 minute wait. Slinky Dog is 205. Even Spaceship Earth is 60 minutes. No thank you to any of that!!
Slinky Dog hit 240 when we had our FPs for it. ToT was down to start the day and when it came back, it wasn’t running full capacity, according to the CM. At one point, TSM was FP only, too, so Easter crowds plus popular rides not running or running at limited capacity meant everything else got crazy.

Well if the nasty weather system coming through LA today makes it to FL this weekend then you'll see the parks clear out for sure. I'll be watching with interest.

Ugh we’re planning on going next year the week leading up to Easter and now I’m terrified!
But at least I can cross the Easter pre-parade off my bucket list!

I think it really just depends on the day. I just checked the app and (I know a lot of people are probably eating dinner right now) the wait times aren’t too bad. Space Mt and Splash Mt are 130 and 120 min respectively but everything else is pretty average, however the posted time for 7DMT did jump from 85 min to 150 while I was looking at it. Even SDD is “only” 90 min.

I think it really just depends on the day. I just checked the app and (I know a lot of people are probably eating dinner right now) the wait times aren’t too bad. Space Mt and Splash Mt are 130 and 120 min respectively but everything else is pretty average, however the posted time for 7DMT did jump from 85 min to 150 while I was looking at it. Even SDD is “only” 90 min.

I agree - I was checking the app today after seeing this thread and it wasn’t bad at all.

I felt like this 3-4 weeks ago. We were there from March 22-27 and holy cow it was so insane! I felt like it was just as bad as peak summer if not worse. The only day it was ok was Epcot but things are so much more spread out there so it doesn’t seem as bad. Our daughter went over her spring break with the marching band and performed at MK so we flew down to see them. I thought since it was the early end of al the spring breaks maybe it wouldn’t be so bad but wow was I wrong. Out of 7 trips I feel like it’s the first time we left MK and felt like we didn’t get to do everything we wanted. I will say though that weather was absolutely amazing so that sort of made up for the crazy crowds!

Ok so as I stated previously we ae coming down on Saturday. Extened family is coming down as well. My neice has decided to hire an unoffical tour guide for her family to navigate the parks. She stated that she can get into the parks 45 minutes early and that she can get in front of the line at 10 attractions. I wam very annoyed with this. It really bothers me. I have no idea how this works or what she paid. (Interesting note her her cousin another of my neices is an OFFICIAL VIP tour guide with Disney! but she doesnt want to pay the big bucks.) Dosey anyone know how Disney stands on this issue and if it is really "legal" (by disney rules)? I fel she is hurting her cousin's feelings, and liviehood, and that she is making the lines longer for other guests who are playing by the rules. But maybe I am just grouchy.

Ok so as I stated previously we ae coming down on Saturday. Extened family is coming down as well. My neice has decided to hire an unoffical tour guide for her family to navigate the parks. She stated that she can get into the parks 45 minutes early and that she can get in front of the line at 10 attractions. I wam very annoyed with this. It really bothers me. I have no idea how this works or what she paid. (Interesting note her her cousin another of my neices is an OFFICIAL VIP tour guide with Disney! but she doesnt want to pay the big bucks.) Dosey anyone know how Disney stands on this issue and if it is really "legal" (by disney rules)? I fel she is hurting her cousin's feelings, and liviehood, and that she is making the lines longer for other guests who are playing by the rules. But maybe I am just grouchy.
Oh yeah - that does not sound legit. I'm confused by how they can get in the parks "45 minutes early". I think this sounds way shady. Then again, I got annoyed when two of the younger women I was traveling with (company trip) decided it would be funny to guys girls costumes (they're thin enough they could fit in the largest sized girls dress) and show up to our company dinner at California Grill (private room) wearing them. I told them I didn't think it was a good idea and they did it anyway. I'm a rule follower.

I am the OP and have a few subsequent thoughts after returning from our trip

1) park crowding is REAL. We have visited 10 times in the past 15 years and our perception is crowds have gone markedly up.
2) it really can impact how you FEEL about being there. We left during the mid-days for many days where we might not have done so prior. We just did not want to compete with the crowds.
3) planning is CRITICAL but you cannot overcome the crowds with good planning. No matter how much someone on DISBOARDS tells you you can do everything you want... that is a stretch. There is a real impact to the crowds. You will miss seeing some things or not getting as many repeats as desired.
4) you can still have a great time. We were able to obtain good FP+ prior to the trip, but missed FP+ for certain headliners. We used RD & park-close to take advantage of those. We also enjoyed some of the "lesser" attractions and realized in many ways they are not "lesser" at all. We had a great time and we were so happy to be together as a family laughing and enjoying one another company it may have been the best trip ever.

After a lot of trips we don't mind (too much) missing a few things. Even if you don't get repeat trips - don't let it get you bummed. I expect for many people traveling with friends & family the time disconnected from the rest of the world and having a great time together is really where the magic is - so absolutely enjoy it.

Will we go again this time of year? Not a chance :). But to be sure... Disney is doing its best to make sure their parks are PACKED 365 days a year and they are doing a pretty good job.

Its getting ready to be empty in about 30 minutes when that line goes through! Stay safe if youre in the parks!

This thread is making me smile...we are here now :) and having a good plan makes a difference! It is crazy busy for sure, but we knew that coming in. .....[REMOVED FOR LENGTH]..... Yes, it’s busy, but we are still having an amazing time!!!

I think that makes all the difference.....your expectations were realistic and you had a plan. Glad you're having a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter