park on arrival day or departure day?

JillianS1128

Mouseketeer
So, I got an 8 day hopper. I am there for 7 full days and 2 partial days. if it were you, would you rather do the "8th" park day the day you arrive or the day you leave?

Arrival: Flight lands at 13:15pm on Saturday, Sept 01
Departure: Flight leaves at 18:15pm on Sunday, Sept 09 (but I fly to Canada, so need to be at the airport a bit earlier than some.

:)

So, I got an 8 day hopper. I am there for 7 full days and 2 partial days. if it were you, would you rather do the "8th" park day the day you arrive or the day you leave?

Arrival: Flight lands at 13:15pm on Saturday, Sept 01
Departure: Flight leaves at 18:15pm on Sunday, Sept 09 (but I fly to Canada, so need to be at the airport a bit earlier than some.

:)
We always go to a park on the first day for supper and fireworks.
Usually EPCOT.
By the last day we're "parked out" and ready to head home.

First day, get a few rides in, dinner and fireworks.
For me the last day will have the stress of travel and I just can't see enjoying myself at the park knowing I have to get to an airport

We go to the park the first day. Because that's the whole reason we're there. :) EPCOT is our choice for the first day as well.
Then on our departure day, we go to Disney Springs. We opt not to buy souvenirs day to day unless it's something truly exceptional or something we want to use immediately. So going to Disney Springs before we leave is our chance to see if there's something we'd like to take home from our trip. Mind you, we might hit DS earlier in the trip, too, but for a meal, or to look around, or do one of the activities there. But we like to leave the souvenir shopping for that last day.

I'm a fan of arrival day, too to go the park. Pick a late park. If you are onsite, see if your arrival date has late extra magic hours.

Unanimous! Thanks, all! MK is open to 12am on my arrival day all of a sudden, but that might make it crazy busy, so may opt for Epcot instead (open until 10pm).

Unanimous! Thanks, all! MK is open to 12am on my arrival day all of a sudden, but that might make it crazy busy, so may opt for Epcot instead (open until 10pm).

I have the same dilemma and the same arrival day as you. I wasn't going to go to a park at all that day, my flight doesn't land until 3pm and I have an ADR in DS that evening. But then I got the notification of the extended hours at MK that night and I love that park at night, so now I don't know what to do! :)

I have the same dilemma and the same arrival day as you. I wasn't going to go to a park at all that day, my flight doesn't land until 3pm and I have an ADR in DS that evening. But then I got the notification of the extended hours at MK that night and I love that park at night, so now I don't know what to do! :)

Right?! Though everything I've read makes me think it'll make MK suuuuper busy that night, but being able to land, get there, and still have basically a whole "day" worth of park time... and spending night 1 on my first trip EVER in MK at midnight seems kind of amazing....

Right?! Though everything I've read makes me think it'll make MK suuuuper busy that night, but being able to land, get there, and still have basically a whole "day" worth of park time... and spending night 1 on my first trip EVER in MK at midnight seems kind of amazing....

In my experience the later the night gets, the less crowded it gets. It's amazing just to be there that late at night, the lights and the music and everything is just so magical... it would definitely be the perfect start to your first ever trip. :)

I'd probably opt for Departure Day. There's something terribly sad about waking up just to go home. At least for me. I'd rather spend the morning in the park. I have found I sleep better instead of lying awake dreading the next day's travel. This way I have something to look forward to and can wake up excited instead of depressed. Also, it's a great time to just enjoy a park and not go "commando style" if you do that most of your trip. A couple of FastPasses are nice, but generally shopping and enjoying the atmosphere is all I need. I prefer Magic Kingdom for this, but choose your favorite. Or one you hurried through during the week.

I'm all about anticipation and delayed gratification. So I think there's something to be said about arriving and not going to the park yet. One time, I arrived around noon, got to my resort (AoA) around 1pm. Spent time at the resort and pool, showered, then enjoyed a great evening at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and ate at Boma. There's so much to do at WDW that isn't inside of a park. Plus, it's a great way of making sure I get to bed early and set myself up for a good week. Instead of starting out with a late night and trying to catch up.

But that's just me. Different ways work for different people, but I wanted to present a different perspective.

Keep in mind you never know about park transportation issues on your departure date.

Stuff happens and there can be mechanical failures. I would never chance it with a flight and getting to the airport on time.

Also, there can be hassles at the airport getting through security which can require more time.

It's no for me and departure day at the parks.

I'm a fan of park on arrival day (if I get there early), and relaxation the day of departure. That's also why I try to get the earliest flight in and the latest flight out. :D If nothing else, maybe just hit up a water park or the hotel pool for a few hours before you have to leave for the airport.

¿Por qué no los dos?

But if I had to pick only one, I would probably say arrival day. There's something sad about having to leave the party early... I usually do try to make it into a park in the morning before "Magical Transportation's" appointed time to whisk us back to the airport. But it's not the same relaxing morning that the others are. You're watching the clock. You try to make FastPasses and the times aren't available until the late afternoon; another reminder that the fun is going to continue without you.

And then there's the getting all sweaty and sunblock lathered before you get packed in with a few hundred other passengers in a long haul metal tube. I'll seek out the pool showers at my resort hotel (if applicable), or make it a point to end that last day at a water park with its convenient showers.

Despite all I've said here, I can't resist one more part day of fun... an 18:15 departure still leaves you a morning of adventures. Plenty of time to get your ticket value's worth in entertainment before you leave.

I generally wake up late on departure day, relax, check out and either do some resort hopping or hang out by the pool (most resorts have showers/changing areas). Maybe head over to Disney Springs for a while if time permits.

There is always Lyft if you need to get somewhere (back to resort or to the airport)

Given your departure flight time and that's its an international flight - I'd say arrival day if I had to pick.

HOWEVER - for a $10 difference - I would have bought a 9 day PH and gone both days.

It's not too late to upgrade and go both days!

I only need to spend 2 hours in a park to feel like $10 is worth it.

Going against the flow here - we generally do departure day but not arrival day. However, we're flying cross-country so we tend to get in at around 5-6pm range. By the time we get to the hotel, it's more like 7. On the other hand, our departure flights are typically around 5-6pm range, so we can go into the park, spend a few hours, head back to the hotel after lunch, and have a bit of time before the DME bus takes us back.

I vote for arrival day. Maybe you'll want to take a day off in the middle of your trip. And, as a PP mentioned, perhaps you'll want to add on a day at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter