Park report - crowds, heat, Toy Story, SWL + pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I have a lot to say but not a lot of time, so I'll keep it brief:

We had reservations for SWL at 8:00 last night. I arrived at DL around 4:00. As many of you know, I usually arrive very early to make rope drop. However, none of us wanted to put in 17-hour day there. I've done it before and it's exhausting. I wanted to be able to enjoy SWL, not look at it as something I had to get done.

Yesterday it was 81 at DL. Or so Yahoo Weather indicated. It felt more like 90. However, by the time we got to SWL at 7:40, the sun had already begun to set and an hour later the weather was cool and gorgeous (exactly how many of my past girlfriends have described me ;-)).

I left home at 2:00. With traffic and the closure of the M&F parking structure (I was redirected to Toy Story - hate that lot, it took two hours from my door to passing through the gate. On a typical Sunday morning, I go from my door to the park gates in about 50 minutes.

In any case, it was hot yesterday. However, throughout the entire SWL opening, Disney has managed crowds magnificently. I immediately book a FP for Buzz and was given an immediate return time. Around 6:00 it was literally a walk-on, which I've never seen on a normal (non-raining) day. Friends got FPs for other attractions as well and return times were negligible.

We picked up our wristbands at 5:00, as directed. We soon noticed that they gave us the wrong ones and returned to have them changed (they ones they gave us were from 5:00 - 9:00). We thought, "Well, let's just use these rather than staying till midnight." But CMs explained that they wouldn't work so we stuck with our original RT. Incidentally, when we picked up or WBs, CMs told us that there was no need to lineup early. That was absolutely inaccurate. When I met friends in line there at 7:40, the crowd was probably four times larger than a typical rope drop. Yes: line up early.

We went immediately to the Cantina to book our reservation. The line for that was approx. 20 minutes and we were given a return time 90 minutes later, which was largely accurate. We then simply walked around and looked at everything. It was fantastic. Yes, I knew SWL would be cool but it was even cooler than I expected. As we entered the plaza where Smuggler's Run is, I saw the life-sized Millennium Falcon. I'm usually not easily impressed. But this? Oh yeah. I was nearly knocked over. "Whoa!!" I exclaimed. The woman next to me said "Yes! That's the correct reaction." I then started to laugh because it was so cool. I thought to myself, "If my ten-year-old self could see me now..." It was very, very cool.

We waited till later to do SR. At 8:30-ish, the standby wait time was 55 minutes. When we came back about an hour later, standby was 15 minutes. Later that night -- around 11:00, we did the single rider line and it was virtually a walk-on.

In between our first and second ride, we went to the cantina. Yes, it was cool but I'm not a drinker and wouldn't make a huge point about going there every time I visit. But it absolutely has to be done at least once. As we waited outside, I spoke with one of the woman that tended the line. She wouldn't break character and the entire time pretended to be a native of Batuu. I asked her all sorts of questions about it, which she answered without hesitation. When I asked what her native language was, she replied "Aurebesh." Very cool. Later, I said to a friend that it was a lot like when I've been overseas (I've been to 30 countries -- 38 if you count repeats) and I started to interact with natives of whichever country I was in. I more than halfway believed I was on another planet. That's a feeling I haven't experienced since I was a kid. Yes, SWL was and is absolutely fantastic.

Much more to say but I have to get going. May post more later.

And now: SWL pics!

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0421.JPGIMG_0413.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos! love the one of the top of the MF!

The language is Aurebesh, BTW. It's what all the text on the buildings, crates etc is in and there's a translator for it in the Play app. ;)

How fun! Glad you had a great visit!
It was fantastic- thanks! Have you been yet? I look forward to going again. My friend who got us the reservations pointed out that it would be great to see it at night. I was skeptical because I’m more of a morning person and love to rope drop. But he was absolutely right: it was amazing at night. And now I get to look forward to seeing it in the morning. As an aside, my friend has already been twice and he gets to go again this Sunday morning. Some people have all the luck ;-).

Our reservation is coming up soon, and we are really looking forward to it!
Curious: night or day? I thought I’d prefer it it much more during the day but it was spectacular at night. We only did Smuggler’s Run twice but probably could have easily done it six or seven times.

A friend ordered this: The Carbon Freeze. It was cool because it bubbled the entire time. I'm not sure but I believe there was a bit of dry ice at the bottom. Note the thick frost towards the bottom of the glass.
View attachment 408173
Yes, they have a similar drink at Lamplight Lounge in DCA that our girls got when we were there. There's a plastic panel with holes in it that keeps the solid dry ice in the bottom of the glass, but allows the bubbles to escape. It's very cool.

I read on another board that CMs on Batuu call the fireworks "The Spectacular." :)
That’s probably right. I was a bit overwhelmed and didn’t recall everything. But I loved how CMs stayed absolutely in character and spoke as if they truly lived on Batuu. I more than halfway felt like I *was* on another planet.

Great photos! love the one of the top of the MF!

The language is Aurebesh, BTW. It's what all the text on the buildings, crates etc is in and there's a translator for it in the Play app. ;)

Technically, Aurebesh is the written language of Galactic Basic
Gotcha! Duly noted and fixed ;-).

Technically, Aurebesh is the written language of Galactic Basic and oh my god, I'm a total nerd...

Technically, Aurebesh is the written language of Galactic Basic

Technically, Aurebesh is the written language of Galactic Basic and oh my god, I'm a total nerd...

My original comment was in response to the answer the OP said he received from a CM when he asked them what their native language was. He had spelled what it sounded like she said (which was close enough that I'm sure she was saying Aurebesh) so I was clarifying the spelling. He has since adjusted the post so my comment seems odd now :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!