Park Strategy

OKWFan88

Mouseketeer
Hi all... I am not a planner at all. Need some advice on my planning attempt for our upcoming Disney trip. Our main focus is rides and Epcot F&W. Trip is just hubby and myself. We are arriving late Friday August 30th 2019. Staying at a hotel by airport and then getting up early to check in at Old Key West on 8/31/19. We check out on Friday August 6th 2019. We have 6 day park hopper tickets. No rental car.

Saturday 8/31/19 - We have fast passes for HS in the afternoon. Muppet Vision 2:20PM, Alien Swirling Saucers 3:25PM, Voyage of Little Mermaid 4:30PM. The Little Mermaid is basically a throw away so we can try and get additional fast passes at another park if available. Debating if we should do EMH at MK that day to try and bang out some of the classic MK rides. Debating if we should do Epcot F&W during the evening.

Sunday 9/1/19 - We have evening fast passes for MK. Big Thunder Mountain 6:45PM, Buzz Lightyear 7:45PM, Splash Mountain 9:05PM. Again, debating if we should do EMH at MK that day to try and bang out some of the classic MK rides. Debating if we should do Epcot during the afternoon for the F&W as I know hubby will be a couple drinks in and not sure how he will do on the fast passes later that evening if he has had some adult beverages.

Monday 9/2/19 - We have the Ultimate Day Of Thrills VIP tour. This will basically hit almost all of the roller coasters hubby and I want to hit, plus love Soarin and so happy that is included. That takes us to around 4PM. We then have fast passes at AK in the evening. Safari 6PM, Na’vi River Journey 7:20PM, Expedition Everest 8:25PM. We won't be doing any EMH this day as we have the tour. For anyone that has done the Thrills VIP tour, I know it's a fairly brisk tour with not a lot of stops, wasn't sure if we should bring water and snacks.

Tuesday 9/3/19 - We has fast passes at Epcot late afternoon/evening. Mission Space 4:30PM, Spaceship Earth 5:35PM, Test Track 6:50PM. We planned on being in Epcot pretty much all day since they have EMH 9PM-11PM.

Wednesday 9/4/19 - We only have one fast pass for HS. Slinky Dog Dash 8:25PM. Not a fan of the new tier structuring in HS. I love SDD and even though we hit it once during the Thrills VIP tour, I want to ride again... We aren't Star Wars people so that doesn't interest us, but wasn't sure if we should hit MK again to do classic rides during EMH as they have morning hours and evening hours that day at MK.

Thursday 9/5/19 - We have fast passes for AK in the later afternoon/evening. Avatar Flight of Passage 3:50PM, Dinosaur 5:05PM, Kali River Rapids 6:05PM. Again, debating if we should do EMH at MK that day to try and bang out some of the classic MK rides. And possibly do Epcot F&W after fast passes at AK.

I'm debating if choosing fast passes in the late afternoon/evening was a bad choice. I am thinking we will do EMH but have seen so many different opinions if that is even worth it anymore...

Hubby wants to do a TON of things in Epcot and MK (he's a history and animal buff), so we will most likely park hop a lot to those parks over HS and AK. We want to do all the classic rides in MK, but wasn't sure if we should change fast passes to hit those in the morning or do EMH/rope drop to hit all the classic MK rides? We want to do the F&W and assuming going in the afternoon/evening during the week would be less busy? We are foodies, so going to ALL the food stations is a must. Hubby is a beer drinker so assuming there are options for him to try different types?
In regards to fireworks, do they still do the fireworks by the castle at MK before it closes? Is that every night? We want to see that at least once. We aren't big on parades or character meet and greets.

Also debating if we should get tickets for the MNSSHP for that Monday 9/2/19... We have the Thrills VIP tour all day and then fast passes for AK later that evening, I am thinking we will be too tired.

Also debating if we should get the DAH for MK on Thursday 9/5/19... But we have really early flights home on that Friday.

Any suggestions would be wonderful? :)

Why all the really late FPs? You probably won’t get any worthwhile same-day FPs. If you can, try modifying all of the FPs for times between 10:30am to 3pm. This way you’ll have plenty of time for rope drop, beat the crowds with FP, then get more same-day FPs.

So fast passes in the later afternoon to evening are not great? We thought that would help with the heat...

Earlier day fast passes allow you to use them up and then get more. If you save all of your Fps until the end of the day, then there either won't be time or won't be any others left.

On your first day, I would switch Little Mermaid to an earlier time if it is just a throw away. That way, as soon as you tap into your swirling saucers, you can search for a 4th FP.

You mention the classic MK rides many times so maybe it would be good to get some Fps for them some of the days you are there. During EMH, not all rides are open. This list does not include Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/extra-magic-hours/. So you wouldn't be able to go on those classics during EMH.

I'm not as frequent a visitor as many here, but we like to make our FPs starting around 11 or 12. That's when the biggest crowds of the day hit, and we like to be guaranteed some quick waits during that time. Most people here recommend making them as early as possible so you can get more. I find that doesn't work as well for us (with 3 kids) since we tend to have a list of things we want to do in an order that minimizes walking vs. doing the things we can get same day FPs for.

About your Little mermaid throwaway FP- the way I understand it, you need to use all 3 to get more in the same park. But if you only pre-book 2, then you can book your 3rd at a different park that day. I think maybe as soon as you tap into your first, you can book the 3rd. You might also be able to pre-book #3 but then modify it for another park as soon as you tap into your first-- I'm not positive about it, but the stickied FP threads should have all the details.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the info. I was able to update all the fast passes to earlier times. All except the Flight of Passage, that will have to stay in the afternoon. I was surprised that SDD had an earlier option so I grabbed it. In regards to fireworks, do they still do the fireworks by the castle at MK before it closes? Is that every night? Since we want to do F&W a lot during the trip, is the best time to go in the afternoon or early evening for less crowds? Will we get to see a price list on everything before it starts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter