• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Part Nine (Final Report) - Meg & Mom's Disneyland/Hollywood Adventure

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
Cast.. Me (mom), 32 yrs & Meg (mature 8.5 yrs). Both LOVE Disney and Hollywood.This was our dream trip!
Day 9/10/11–Jan 15/16/17

254042715zsWpaV_ph.jpg

This was a wonderful day! It was hot and sunny and felt like ‘California’. We woke up and went down to the Hollywood & Highland Complex for breakfast (after staring at the Hollywood sign out of our window first!). We couldn’t find much, but decided that the Nestle’s Toll House Bakery would make a perfect vacation breakfast. What could be better than hot & freshly backed toll house cookies and milk? We then went on the Kodak theatre tour. This is a must do for any Oscar fan. We walked the same route the stars take on the red carpet, then waited for our tour guide. We lucked out because we were the only ones on the tour and basically had a private tour. We got to see (and stand in) the VIP lounge, the stair case,etc..etc… We went to Kirk Douglas’ private box for the Oscar’s. We then went backstage as if we had just won, and he took us through the backstage process of a winner. They go down an empty hall to the ‘VIP’ elevator (we got to ride the elevator and Meg got a bit star struck!), then down to where they go for all the press stuff. It was 30 mins long and really neat. Meg did get a bit bored, but I really enjoyed it. After that, we headed out to Hollywood Blvd to do some souviener shopping in those cheesey little shops on the blvd. Meg got herself and her best friend matching tees (they are so dirt cheap – 2 of 5.99). I bought Meg an oscar that says “best daughter” on the front. We also got a mug and a couple of other neat things for friends. Meg also got a poster of the Hollywood sign for her room. Some of the stuff is very expensive, and some is really dirt cheap. Most will gladly take cash and not charge tax too. So have cash on you when you shop here. We wandered down to the Hollywood Entertainment Museum. Neither of us are really museum people, but we figured it was free (city pass coupon) and we could just wander around and leave. Wrong! They brought us in to watch a movie, and then we had to go on a guided tour. We were not into this at all. We watched about 2 mins of the movie, and it was about Foley artists. We were bored, so we walked out and left. LOL! We decided to go back to the hotel and swim. They have a beautiful outdoor pool on the 5th floor rooftop. Surrounding the pool are dozens and dozens of lounge chairs. They also had about 12 cabanas. Meg took a liking to the cabanas. We swam a bit and then chose a cabana in the sun. We closed it and had complete privacy. Meg said she felt like a movie star hiding from the fans. Hahaha.

254042732qGaMXr_ph.jpg

These cabanas all were near walls with high speed internet if you brought your lap top! There was a pool bar and Meg went up and asked for an ice tea. They only had soda and juices and she asked for a pepsi and told them to please charge it to room 1715. The ‘cabana boy’ (ohhhh yes! The cabana boy……) took a liking to her and said it was on the house because she was so cute. We sat in the cabana for over an hour sipping the pepsi and relaxing/talking. Meg wanted to swim again, so I watched her for a bit, then she came running to me “Mommy – that famous guy from Jersey Girl is over there!”. Ben Affleck???? “YES!!! Mommy!!!”. I gave her my camera and told her to pretend to take a photo of the pool, then take a photo of him. She did this, and brought it to me. It did indeed appear to be him. So I went out to the pool and dipped my feet in. YEP! It was him!!! He was in a suit and tie and talking to some older people – maybe parents? Producers? Who knows. I don’t believe in bugging celebs – they have to have their own time, and it was just neat to see him. We laid in the cabana and had a tiny nap, then were getting cold.

254042820zsfYIF_ph.jpg

254042874EYYCga_ph.jpg

We went back up to the room. We decided to splurge and get room service. It was quite pricey – but we just ‘had’ to do it. It was about $30 for the 2 of us, and it was basic burger/fries/milk and grilled cheese kiddie meal. I called Alaska Air and explained the license situation to them. They weren’t overly concerned because it was a return flight and I had all my other id. Phew! We watched the Tsunami Aid show and there was Ben A. – dressed the same as we saw him! He must have been staying at the hotel before going to the show. Neat!

We fell asleep and woke up to another beautiful sunny day in LA!
254043019RLGZTw_ph.jpg

Mary Jo was picking us up around noon at the hotel. We checked out at about 10:30 and stored our luggage. We went across the street to Burger King for breakfast and came back across to the H & H complex for one last look around. Meg got some stuff at Claires (they had a buy 10 items for $5 sale). We realized there was a build a bear in this complex and looked around. I bought Meg a wig for her Eloise kitty. We didn’t want to leave!

Mary Jo came and we went for a drive. We had a ball. Boy oh boy can the 2 of us chat non-stop! We went looking around LA and Bev Hills and oogled the homes. We stopped in a few places to get photos. It was really fun.

254043106mcJcUv_ph.jpg

001meg.jpg

002meg.jpg

003meg.jpg

We drove down Sunset to the beaches and stopped at the Santa Monica Pier for lunch. We had clam chowder in a bread bowl and it was pretty good. Meg really wanted to go on the ferris wheel but the line ups were crazy and we just didn’t have time. I bought Meg a shell necklace at the pier and I also got one for myself and Mary Jo.

004meg.jpg

005meg.jpg

006meg.jpg

007meg.jpg

008meg.jpg

We went back to Mary Jo’s house and met her 2 wonderful kids Nick & Kelly. I used her computer quickly to print off our boarding passes and then she took us to the airport. Meg adored Mary Jo and so did I. I can’t believe how completely wonderful some people in this world are! Our flight was delayed about an hour so we got some starbucks and a magazine. We arrived back into cold Seattle at about 11:50pm. Luggage came out quickly and we were on the shuttle bus back to the skyway inn quickly. I was really impressed – they had my car cleaned off and waiting by the front of the motel for us. We got a room that wasn’t as nice as the first one, but we were so tired we didn’t care. We only slept until about 8am, and had a quick muffin/coffee/juice at the hotel and drove home in horrible rain!!! It seems that we brought the storms with us – and now we are in torrential downpours like we have never seen and everything here is flooded!!! Meg is hoping they close the schools soon!

All in all we had an amazing time! Despite a few setbacks (and aren’t there always some setbacks?), nothing too major happened. Just trying to get back into our normal routine now!

I loved your trip reports! I am glad you finally got some good weather and am really impressed you saw Ben Affleck! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you had a great trip despite the weather and hotel mishaps! Meg will have happy memories of it for a lifetime!

I got some great tips for our upcoming trip so thanks!

BTW did you buy your Starline Tour tickets ahead of time? Just wondering if I need to or not?

You don't have to buy the tickets ahead of time. They have a booth right at Grauman's and sell them there. I sent you a pm about this. We had pre-paid tickets in the Hollywood Citypass booklet.

Thanks for such a detailed trip report...I enjoyed looking at your pictures too!

Hey, "Lollipop's Mom", it was nice to meet you down in the rain. I'm glad it cleared up for you, we weren't so lucky. :guilty: I never thought I'd actually meet someone real from the boards :earseek: I'm glad you had fun!

I just LOVED your trip report.....how detailed! Thanks so much for posting and Im so happy that you and your daughter made the trip.

Kerry

I relished each and every report :earboy2:
Thank you for taking the time to give us all the details. Meg is a very cute (and lucky!) girl, glad you had the Hollywood time too, you guys had so much fun there :D

So, when is your next trip down?

Thank you so much for a great trip report. I've found so much detail in the reports in WDW, but not much in DL Trip Report. Your report was refreshing and has put some excitement in my upcoming trip. I've been to DL twice (both as a young girl and hated it both times). Of course me disliking DL doesn't mean anything because as a child I went to WDW - and HATED IT (when it was just MK and Epcot - I WAS THERE THE DAY MGM OPENED- AND REFUSED TO GO I HAD SUCH AN UNPLEASANT TIME), but loved it as an adult - go figure!!!!! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter