part time as a retiree

tednvon

DIS Veteran
Hi..just got back from another fun trip to Disney...am now about 6 months from retirement and would love to work at disney part time...any rumors or ideas about part timers and is there some hiring at this time.....or are full timers just now beginning to increase hours and get back to a decent no. of hours. Any opinions about where to look for part time...ie. the golf course vs. the theme parks......any thoughts or ideas are most appreciated....Ted

I don't know for sure what their hiring status is right now, but there will be times when they need extra help (particularly during the summer and holidays). Good luck to you if you pursue it! I think it's a great way to balance retirement life and work (plus, you get to go in the parks for free, have so many free tickets to give to family and friends, and have access to the many discounts cast members get from many businesses).

To job search in all categories for ALL Disney locations around the world, visit http://www.headhunter.net/cm/waltdisney/search.htm

Disney DOES hire a lot of part-timers, because then they don't have to provide full benefits (vacation, full insurance, etc.). But the recent cut-backs meant a lot of full-timers got converted to part-time. Just check the site listed above at regular intervals if you are interested in anything.

My understanding is that they are going to be opening up reqs again in March.
With summer coming, the part time work should be increasing.

Thanks for the input...still interested in any other feedback...FYI, the headhunter site is for salaried positions, at least from what I can see.....there is a job line that is more tuned into hourly jobs......thanks again...Ted

For hourly positions, check out www.wdwcareers.com
Full Timers have had their hours back for a while now, and Part Timers (and seasonal Cast like me) have been able to work since about a week after it was announced that we would be on temporary furlogh. Reqs have not been reopened as far as I know, although transfers are no longer frozen. For more information, call Casting at (407) 828-1000. They'll be more than happy to answer all of your questions.
(We have alot of retirees in part time, seasonal, and full time positions. They're great!)

Do you know anything about when they plan to open up full-time professional positions again? If I become a part-time CM would it be easier to be considered for something full-time down the road? Is there a time period in which I would have to wait to switch from part-time to a professional role? Thanks!

I do not know when salaried roles will be reopened. Most of my managers were promoted from within, although it is possible to be hired into a salaried position without working your way up. I know that for new-hires there is a 1 year minimum before you can transfer to a parallel position (IE from one attraction department to another), but I don't think that you have to wait that long if you qualify for a higher position on the food chain (you do have to wait at least your 90 days, though... possibly 6 months, but I'm not sure.)

We are thinking about retiring to the Orlando area ourselves in the next few years. Any advice where to move to?

I don;t know much about there part time help situation but I can tell you that it would be my DREAM job to go work in Disney when I retire. Good luck! :)

Last....or almost last anyway, attempt to get some ideas and thoughts about part time employment for a retired boomer at Disney.....are the golf courses an area that hires a lot....??..thanks again to all for your input...Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter