Party of 1, plus 1,000! My solo DIS adventure! 2/19 New TR Started!!

Joining in!

Looking at your food from CHH just made me REALLY hungry! Those crowds were also crazy! You just don't realize what you've gotten yourself into until you take a step back and look at it from a different angle!

I'm here!

Sorta bumpy start ya got there. Nothing major but some odd little hiccups. In room mosquitoes for one...

I'm glad you're always so positive though; makes things in life much better!

Can't wait to see the rest of this solo-ish adventure!

Hey!!! :welcome: It did feel bumpy, and not really magical. I think it colored my view of Pop. So many people love it, I just never got the "Disney" feel from it.

I try and be positive, which is why I didn't say anything about my room.

Following! A solo trip sounds like so much fun! That crowd is insane though, I just can't deal with that many people in the heat.

:welcome: I can deal with heat (to a degree) and I can deal with crowds, but the combination of the two is too much!

ontinuing to enjoy your TR, and LOVED your video with Capt. Jack. :) I'm not sure, watching that, if I've ever done any of the Main Street vehicles, so I'll add that to my "must do next time" list. :) Yikes - can't believe all those people outside at CHH!! Oh - and congrats, yet again, on your fantastic graduation achievement!!

Thank you again!!

I tried to check some things off my Disney Bucket List on this trip and a ride on a Main Street vehicle was one of them. Watching the video I can only hear myself laughing... ugh.

Great update! I love MK first thing in the morning it's always a lot of fun. I have yet to eat at the Columbia harbor house but it looks like a good meal. That crowd is insane!

Early morning at MK is the best!

The crowd was crazy! It would eb and flow but it stayed pretty consistently busy.

Joining in!

Looking at your food from CHH just made me REALLY hungry! Those crowds were also crazy! You just don't realize what you've gotten yourself into until you take a step back and look at it from a different angle!

:welcome: I can't wait to try CHH again and get the lobster roll that people love. I

Busy day at MK! That Florida heat is a killer. I swear it's more the moisture in the air than the actual heat index. When you sweat the moment you step outside it's a terrible thing.

Glad to know there's no need to arrive an hour before park opening, although it looks like you enjoyed your bus ride with Jack!

Psyched for your DISMeet!

Welcome to the solo trip that felt anything but! I have been home for a little over 24 hours, and although I have no voice and my feet haven’t fully recovered, I am ready to go back!! And now I have a reason to, since before I left I picked up this little beauty!!!
20170604_105902_zpswbhkufqw.jpg

I also rode a banshee.

20170603_223003_zpsvt2lfamo.jpg

Fought the Pandora crowd.
20170603_064356_zpsrvadclyb.jpg

Saw a Princess perform.
20170601_231805_zpsj1pewkmv.jpg

And soooo much more!

Before I go too far, let me get to the who, what, when, why, where and how…

The who is me. PrncessA or Sara.

20170531_142244_zpsdjfvtygu.jpg

Usually known as Mommy, but not on this trip, this trip I was SOLO. I am a huge Disney fan and I love Disney history, which is why I was totally geeking out when I met Michael Bowling. (I could have talked to him for days!!!!) I am an uber planner and love the planning of the trips almost as much as I love the trips….. Almost!!! I am a full time wife, mom, secretary and student and in my non-existent free time (and most of the time I should be doing something else) I spend thinking about, reading about and planning our Disney trips. I write about Disney nearly constantly and am concentrating right now on starting my own blog. I just graduated with my first degree last month and I begin at a new school in the fall.

The who also includes a lot of friends! Some Diser’s who I had never “met” in person before, some Diser’s who I had met previously, some who I had never met at all and others who I have known for years.

That what is a solo trip to Walt Disney World! Due to a few different circumstances such as school, money, timing and reasoning my husband suggested that I take a solo trip to Walt Disney World this year. Do you think I was going to say no? I don’t think so! I nearly left him spinning where he was standing as I ran to the computer to book my room!

The when was May 30-June 4th. Originally my plans were the week before Memorial Day, but when the DIS announced their 20th anniversary celebration and then WDW released the Pandora opening dates there was no way I could go the week before and know what I was missing. So of course I changed my dates to coincide with both celebrations, and boy am I so glad that I did. This trip was filled to the brim with magical moments and meetups. It had a few snags as well… but nothing can bring me down from a Disney high!

The why was to celebrate my graduation from college. Going back as an adult was not an easy thing, and going back as an adult with a full time family and job seemed impossible at times. A lot of people ask why I was celebrating getting my associates degree (I was taking Bachelor's Degree classes concurrently), since my B.A. isn’t too far off, but I am going to celebrate each step because I am working hard to get to my dream.

The where was Pop Century and here is where I hit a snag. More to come on that later, let’s just say that I probably will not ever stay at Pop again. :(

The how was by flying in on Southwest Airlines. This was my first time flying Southwest without purchasing the early bird check-in, and I can say I would never do that again if I am flying with my kids!! I didn’t rent a car (but the idea became more appealing as the week went on) so I was at the mercy of Disney transportation most of the time. I did appeal to the mercy of my friends a few times and they have taught me the ways of having a car at Disney. I may never want to ride a Disney bus again!!!!

So without further ado….. I give you “Party of 1, plus 1,000! My solo DIS adventure!”

I enjoyed your update - definitely get that excitement the first morning so not surprised to hear you woke up before your alarm. I know you got to MK early but worked out that you did your photoshoot on Main St instead of Pop I supposed (BTW I agree with you about the stairways at Pop, they really held the heat!).

I have mixed feedings about them moving the welcome show - it really does open up the front of the train station and that was just getting crazy packed and people on edge and stuff - but I think the original show was better. I wish they had more to the new show and did things like the Family of the Day still

That is so cool you rode the Omnibus - and so fun you were in the front and alone going back and people waving to you and stuff!

Seems like a pretty productive start to the day - and those lines did really build later, wow - those are some crowds!

Those sound like thoughtful gifts for your husband :thumbsup2

Sorry you didn't enjoy CHH better. I agree the mobile ordering will help a lot there. I think it is better than most quick services though not sure I like it as much as some people for whom it is there favorite place to eat

Looking forward to your DISmeet and the Connecting with Walt update!

Busy day at MK! That Florida heat is a killer. I swear it's more the moisture in the air than the actual heat index. When you sweat the moment you step outside it's a terrible thing.

Glad to know there's no need to arrive an hour before park opening, although it looks like you enjoyed your bus ride with Jack!

Psyched for your DISMeet!

I think the humidity is the issue for me as well! It feels like you are walking into a sauna! It doesn't help that my doctor is currently trying to determine why I am having hot flashes at 34! LOL

The morning crowds were very manageable but it got busy pretty quickly!

just booked my solo trip today, I can't wait to continue reading...I am interested to hear what you have to say about Pop, I have had some good experiences there. Congrats on your degree! Celebrate every step!

Yay a solo trip!!! I am not sure I would stay at Pop again, but I am glad I tried it out.

Thank you!

Congrats - a great celebration !
Loving your report.
Waiting for more.

:welcome: Thank you!

...a little late, but I made it!

:welcome: Yay!

I enjoyed your update - definitely get that excitement the first morning so not surprised to hear you woke up before your alarm. I know you got to MK early but worked out that you did your photoshoot on Main St instead of Pop I supposed (BTW I agree with you about the stairways at Pop, they really held the heat!).

I am not an early riser anywhere but Disney!

I have mixed feedings about them moving the welcome show - it really does open up the front of the train station and that was just getting crazy packed and people on edge and stuff - but I think the original show was better. I wish they had more to the new show and did things like the Family of the Day still

I really did miss the excitment of everyone outside the Train Station, but I see why they changed it. I do wish they had kept the Main St. characters though!

That is so cool you rode the Omnibus - and so fun you were in the front and alone going back and people waving to you and stuff!

Seems like a pretty productive start to the day - and those lines did really build later, wow - those are some crowds!

With the heat and crowds I was glad that I didn't have the kids and Erik with me, I would have been dealing with some GRUMPY people.

Those sound like thoughtful gifts for your husband :thumbsup2

Then I follow it up with a trip to Cherry Tree Ln for my own the next day! LOL

Sorry you didn't enjoy CHH better. I agree the mobile ordering will help a lot there. I think it is better than most quick services though not sure I like it as much as some people for whom it is there favorite place to eat

I think anywhere they can add mobile ordering is a good move. It was so easy in Pandora! I think that the heat was the major reason my meal wasn't great. I was just sooo hot and hungry it affected my taste I think.

Looking forward to your DISmeet and the Connecting with Walt update!

Coming up!

Congratulations on graduating! Very nice gift to yourself!!

:welcome: Thank you!

I'm having an easy day at work today so I thought I would bang out another chapter. I really should try and get this written as soon as possible because I am starting a second job this week and in the fall I will be back in school full time. Yep, that's right school full time, a full time job and I took a second part time job. :rolleyes: ALL the money from my part time job will be going straight into our Disney savings, plus it is a job I have been wanting for a while, so I am motivated!

Now on with the show!

As I was sitting at CHH, not planning on moving until I absolutely had to, I saw that a member of the Facebook group, Kirsten (@Mommy a Deux ), and her kids were headed my way. They had just taken the Express Bus from Epcot and like me they were not fans of the crazy crowds and the heat that was the MK that day!

They got to me around 1pm and it was so great to sit and talk with another Diser! Her kids were fantastic, and her son (who is the same age as my son) would have gotten along with Ethan immediately I am sure. Her daughter is a Disney planning wiz! We talked about our days, our future Disney plans (So jealous they are headed back in September!) and got excited for our upcoming Connecting With Walt (CWW) DisMeet. We really enjoyed NOT being in the heat and crowds that were directly below us.

giphy.gif

I don’t have one photo from our meet but I swear it happened! I really slacked on photos this afternoon, I blame the heat! Sorry! I will add GIF's to break it up. LOL

As it got closer to the CWW meetup time I grabbed another ice water and we headed out toward Adventureland together. While we were waiting we met another Diser and for the life of me I can’t remember her name. I want to say Claire? She was also on a solo trip. Although she was headed back down with her husband in September as well!!! So many September trips! She was great fun and we talked a lot about Cheerleading, since she works for a Cheer company.

200w.webp

After a while we realized that we weren’t in the heart of the Dis Meet, since Craig and Michael had arrived and were greeting people under the covered seating at Sunshine Tree Terrace. And here we are trying to keep cool in the tiny amounts of shade we could find! LOL

There was a pretty big group of us there for the meet (maybe 30 or more) and surprisingly we didn’t get a photo! I recognized a few people from their Dis or Facebook photos but I was too chicken to really introduce myself to anyone. Everyone was excited to see Craig and Michael of course and they were great, taking turns with everyone and taking photos with people.

DSCF5366_zpsnk88qbju.jpg

The best part was when a woman at one of the tables ask us who they were, since they thought they were celebrities. They are! Dis Celebrities!

I finally got up enough courage to introduce myself to Michael and I could have talked to him for DAYS. I love Disney history and he always has so many stories and insights! Alas I did let him continue on to talk to other Disers.

20170531_142242_zpsrnf4wae6.jpg

After some good Disney conversation, Craig ask if we would all like to head over to the Enchanted Tiki Room. The Tiki Room twice in one day? Yes please! So that is where we headed.

Standing in line with Michael and Craig was like our own personal “Keys to the Kingdom” tour and it was so much fun to talk to them and hear their personal stories, and those of other Disers!

20170531_144258_zpsoh3wywqc.jpg

Right before we sat down I met another Diser named Beth and really hit it off with her. Of course I don’t know her Disboards name though! Turns out we both left our kids and husbands at home for this trip AND we were both from Illinois AND she previously lived and taught in the town that I live in. It really is a small world! I never got a photo with Beth, but she is the blonde in the background of this one. LOL

20170531_142242_zpsrnf4wae6.jpg

More Tiki Photos

20170531_145758_zpsaeuwrfp9.jpg

20170531_145300_zpss7tn37cs.jpg

After an especially magical Tiki Room show, where not only did the birds sing and the flowers crooned, but so did a room full of Diser’s, we headed back out where Michael gave us some more Tiki Room trivia. At the end of each stop it seemed like we lost a few Diser’s but here is where we lost the most, more than half really. The rest of us headed over to a new attraction for me (one that was on my bucket list) The Country Bear Jamboree!

DSCF5367_zpsfh3iai5s.jpg

This is the ONLY photo I have to prove it and it could be from anywhere in Frontierland. I wasn’t taking photos because I was too busy talking. Now that there were less than a dozen of us it was a lot easier to have discussions. Craig was pretty excited that they had a Country Bear virgin in their group and Beth KNEW I would love it. She said her boys thought it was hilarious!

I don’t know what to say about CBJ other than, why did I wait so long?? I thought I was going to cry laughing at some of the songs. “All the boys that turn me on, turn me down.” :lmao::lmao: And Big Al, oh my Big Al. :eek::laughing: I can not wait to take my kids to the CBJ, I know they are going to love it! It is just so classic Disney!

***On a side note I saw Craig the next day at the auction and he made a point to tell me that they had recorded a special CWW podcast the night before and had talked about me! Then I was really geeking out! It was this episode: http://www.disunplugged.com/2017/06/01/connecting-with-walt-podcast-060117/

After the CBJ we headed all the way across the park to everyone’s favorite, The PeopleMover! Beth and I got a car to ourselves and talked “mom things”. We also exchanged numbers and made plans to meet up the next day.

Sooo cool!

200.webp

After a relaxing ride on the Peoplemover, and let’s face it I could have stayed on for a few more turns, we headed over for our last attraction as a group. Beth and a couple other people head out leaving only about 6 of us. Our last ride of course was the Carousel of Progress and we were able to hear Michael talk about it before we headed in, which made it so much better. You can just see his love for Disney history when he talks!

We all hung around a talked for a few minutes after the CoP, but I was ready for a break! I am usually out of the MK by 1pm at the latest and it was at least 4:30pm at this point! I knew my goal for the night was Happily Ever After and EMH, so I needed some down time.

Sorry for the lack of photos in this chapter, but I really was having such a good time talking I didn’t think to take any!

Next up: My first experience with the Pop bus stops! Happily Ever After! And an impromptu meetup with a Diser who wasn’t there for the 20th Anniversary!

Last edited:
That is so great you had that DIS meet in CHH and the CWW meet sounds do fun - I really wish I could have made it! I love that podcast and would love to chat more with Micheal

The best part was when a woman at one of the tables ask us who they were, since they thought they were celebrities. They are! Dis Celebrities!
... you should have said "don't you know?!?!? They are the new villains in the next Decendants movie!" ;)

That's great you met Beth and connected so well. (So not just Connecting with Walt, but Connections through Walt)

I can imagine you needed a break at that point, but, despite the heat, seems like a great day so far!

Enjoying both the report, and your awesome pics - especially love the one with you and Michael - you can't tell how hot/humid it was, because you both look FAB!!!

Congrats on the 2nd job, but oh my gosh - where do you get that ENERGY from???? :worship:

Sorry for the lack of photos in this chapter, but I really was having such a good time talking I didn’t think to take any!

From the sound of your day I'd say you made the right choice. Pictures are great, but they aren't better than being there and enjoying the moment! So glad you had such a great time, and how cool that they talked about you on an episode!!! We haven't hooked the speakers up to the computer yet, but I will listen in later!

If the rest of this trip is at all like this day, I bet it's incredible, can't wait!

Sounds like a great meet with other dissers and to meet Michael and Craig, too !

Glad all was a wonderful time.

Thanks for the pics too.

Hi, I love your report! I'm wondering where exactly is your most favorite spot in front of the Castle? I can't wait to be there in August, and I want to go to "your spot", ha. Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing!!

That is so great you had that DIS meet in CHH and the CWW meet sounds do fun - I really wish I could have made it! I love that podcast and would love to chat more with Micheal

Meeting so many like minded people was the best part of this trip. You instantly feel a shared connection!

.. you should have said "don't you know?!?!? They are the new villains in the next Decendants movie!" ;)

That's great you met Beth and connected so well. (So not just Connecting with Walt, but Connections through Walt)

I can imagine you needed a break at that point, but, despite the heat, seems like a great day so far!

Ha Ha! I just pictured Craig the Grumpy Cat!

The day really was fantastic. This was the only official meet I was able to make (other than the party) and I am glad that it turned out to be the Connecting with Walt one.

Dis Celebrities aka the only kind of celebrities!

You know it!

Enjoying both the report, and your awesome pics - especially love the one with you and Michael - you can't tell how hot/humid it was, because you both look FAB!!!

Thank you! I felt like a melted pile of mush, LOL!

Congrats on the 2nd job, but oh my gosh - where do you get that ENERGY from???? :worship:

We will find out! I just got my A.A.S. in Meeting and Event Planning, and I am continuing on to get my Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree, so all roads lead to Disney. My new job is scheduling the events and parties for the town park district, then working some of the events. I have two events this weekend, a 2 hour party on Saturday and a 6.5hour one on Sunday.

From the sound of your day I'd say you made the right choice. Pictures are great, but they aren't better than being there and enjoying the moment! So glad you had such a great time, and how cool that they talked about you on an episode!!! We haven't hooked the speakers up to the computer yet, but I will listen in later!

If the rest of this trip is at all like this day, I bet it's incredible, can't wait!

I agree, you can kind of tell when I got too wrapped up in the company throughout the trip to take photos!

This was an incredible day, but the next day may be my best Disney day ever!

Sounds like a great meet with other dissers and to meet Michael and Craig, too !

Glad all was a wonderful time.

Thanks for the pics too.

Thank you!

I have never been to CBJ - might have to do that next trip.

You should, it is a great laugh! I don't think everyone would "get" it, but it is a hoot!

Sara, I did hear the podcast and did hear your name mentioned - now you are famous, too !

:dancer::dancer:

Hi, I love your report! I'm wondering where exactly is your most favorite spot in front of the Castle? I can't wait to be there in August, and I want to go to "your spot", ha. Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing!!

My favorite spot is right in front of the castle in the morning. Between the Partner's Statue and the Castle on the street. I have no idea why, it just feels that right there you are completely surrounded in all directions by Disney Magic. You have the castle looming over you, an idealic Main Street spread out behind you, and you are beginning your day at the most magical place on earth. Just standing there you can block everything else out and just enjoy the magical feeling. Try it! And let me know!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter