Party of 1, plus 1,000! My solo DIS adventure! 2/19 New TR Started!!

What a fun day!

I felt the same at Art Smith's. The chicken was really great, but I wanted to try other stuff. All of the desserts there were incredible.

Sorry about the hot day! I'm still not sure why they removed that bus stop. I mean DS is huge, a few bus stops might be helpful.

There was a lot that sounded good on the menu at Homecoming ... in hindsight we should have ordered a few things and shared/did it like a buffet or something so we call could have tried a bunch of things. The meal really did drag on longer that I should have - but, like you said, at least we were with a good group to pass the time.

I think we all were thinking it, we were just too shy to bring it up!

totally get why you got the one with Mickey but the one with Donald had him placed like perfectly on it!

Looking back I almost like the Donald one more... such indecision is what took me so long to pick it out in the first place.

Bummer about the extra walking you had to do - major bummer! Very glad you made it to Trader Sam's though!

I really don't know why they closed that bus stop down.

I am enjoying reading your TR. It was great having Dis meets and being at the Dis auction. Congrats to them for having a successful auction.
Your solo trip was fun and you did meet so many nice people.

:welcome: It never felt like a solo trip for long!

I am impressed with all you do - a family, several jobs and school. Congrats to you. You can and will do well !

Thank you, sometimes I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water.... but at least I can swim.

What a fun day!

Could be my best Disney Day Ever!

I felt the same at Art Smith's. The chicken was really great, but I wanted to try other stuff. All of the desserts there were incredible.

A return trip is definitely warranted!

Sorry about the hot day! I'm still not sure why they removed that bus stop. I mean DS is huge, a few bus stops might be helpful.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Thanks or the info about the bus being moved - will be there in November.

Have fun! And bring your walkin' shoes!

I finally got up and got ready around 5:30, although I felt like I could have slept for another 8 hours! At 6:00 promptly I was headed to catch the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

20170601_180203_zpsf2rqgum3.jpg

And 25 minutes later I was trying to decide the best way to get to the Poly.

20170601_182543_zpscrfkoqhc.jpg

I really wanted to take the boat launch, but for some reason I felt like it would be faster to go on the monorail. So that is where I headed.

20170601_183007_zpsoprmxlsh.jpg

I got a message while on the monorail that the group was on their way to the Poly. I was really hoping they would arrive before me because I am horrible at holding seats for a large group. But I didn’t need to fear, part of the group had already arrived when I got there!

20170601_183822_zpshsr84pcr.jpg

20170601_185049_zpsbmptmatf.jpg

Sorry in advance for the dark photos, it was dark in there!

I joined @TheMaxRebo , @GAN and @katmu and we ordered our drinks. I ask our waitress which drinks had coconut (which I have a slight allergy to) in them, which prompted her to bring me a allergy drink book. I luckily was safe ordering a Polynesian Pearl (RumChata Cream Liqueur, Grand Marnier, and Cinnamon with Tropical Juices. The Pearl is yours to keep!) which was what I had wanted.

20170601_191628_zpsjzq2wnks.jpg

No black pearl for me! :(

@katmu ordered the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, which was a no-no for me due to the coconut and the waitress made sure I knew!

I tried getting good video, but the interactions were so fast… and I have an annoying laugh. LOL

@GAN and @TheMaxRebo shared the Uh-Oa! which was a hoot!

20170601_191240_zpsqrm6ug86.jpg

We were soon joined by many other Diser’s (planned and unplanned) including Kirsten and her kids who I had met the day before, Jamie (who’s screen name I have completely forgot) and @Accident. It was a very fun group!

@Mommy a Deux ordered a Dark and Stormy when she arrived and that prompted a round of Dark and Stormy's for many in the party… as well as a few orders of pot stickers which were really good!

20170601_193902_zpsgulyq5hh.jpg

Although it is hard to see in the photo, the tiny drink umbrella in the Dark and Stormy is ripped and inside out... from the storm I guess. We decided that the Cast Members who work on It's a Small World all day take turns destroying the umbrellas. :scared:

20170601_195207_zps5dhwfe9h.jpg

At 8pm they kick all those under 18 (or 21, I can’t remember) out, so we settled our tabs and headed outside to the patio. The tables don’t move so we were a bit separated outside. I ordered the Spikey Pineapple (Barbancourt Pango Rhum blended with Pineapple Soft-serve) with an extra rum floater and it was AMAZING! Because what can make a Dole Whip better? RUM!

20170601_201826_zpsqjdix5l0.jpg

It was fun sitting outside and talking. @Accident was telling us about monkey attacks in Florida… and I am still not quite sure if he was telling the truth or pulling our leg…. seriously Bryan is it true? I need to know??

Here is a bad and dark selfie before we headed out.

20170601_203645_zpsqvoga0if.jpg

We headed out around 8:40pm and walked toward the TTC. The 3 drinks, extra rum floater and fun company made the walk feel like seconds!

20170601_203943_zpsrcltruww.jpg

After bag check at the TTC, we headed down to the boat launch to watch Happily Ever After. Funny story. After we got through bag check Jamie was laughing. Seems she had put a small pair of scissors in a small change purse in her bag for mole skin. The security officer had pulled them out and very matter-of-factly said, “You have scissors.” Then put them back in her bag and sent her on. I don’t know why but it struck us a hilarious… could have been the rum. Most likely was the rum.

x6OPr.gif

I was curious as to what HEA would look like from far away but I really enjoyed it! I tried to not take too many photos as I wanted to watch it.

DSCF5711_zpsi2dkv1c1.jpg

After HEA we headed back to the monorail to head over to Epcot for the party. I lifted this photo from @GAN from our Facebook group.

18835855_138900569993092_4905324371610494507_n_zpso8krhdqo.jpg

Weird selfie on the monorail.

20170601_214200_zpsvhogb5hd.jpg

The excitement was building….

20170601_214333_zps19qnsjag.jpg

I had been texting with both Kat and my new friend Beth, but trying to find them in the crowd was crazy. They were both toward the front of the crowd and we were at the back. I inched my way to the front looking for them and ended up being let in before they were. I hope people weren't thinking I was cutting. I didn't rush to a ride when they let us in so most people streamed right by me.

20170601_214954_zpsmyjy1ezk.jpg

When they let us in I finally was able to find Beth and we headed to The Land. How cool is this cake?

20170601_220850_zpss7mcx8u8.jpg

Quick Jackie selfie.

20170601_225128_zpsglagkpe7.jpg

We were on the second ride of Soarin’ and when we were getting on we saw Pete and his mom unloading. After our first ride… we decided to do it again because Soarin’ is awesome. I was texting with Kat and we planned to meet at the concert.

Last edited:

After our second ride we grabbed some of the donuts with gelato (no photos sorry) and some iced tea and headed over to see Jodi Benson! The concert was held in a building that is behind the scenes in Canada. No idea what the building is called but it was a very cool building!

20170601_235114_zpssd1e0xam.jpg

Kat and Tim had saved two seats for Beth and I and before we knew it John and Pete were on stage.

20170601_230636_zpsmazefxf4.jpg

It was really emotional listening to them talk about what The Dis meant to them. I may or may not have teared up. Then came the main event, Jodi Benson, and WOW was she amazing. I really don’t know what was better hearing her sing or listening to her talk about her Disney AND DIS memories. She is just so wonderful!!!

20170601_231805_zpsgpwbr9lt.jpg

20170601_231607_zpsyl12rlp3.jpg

After the performance we rushed back to the entrance of World Showcase for a front row spot for Illuminations!

20170602_000651_zpsyxbuyawh.jpg

DSCF5869_zpsiqefr0re.jpg

Illuminations is not my favorite firework show at WDW but this was special and amazing!

DSCF5865_zps9wnsmpbf.jpg

After the fireworks ended we decided to take a ride on Test Track. We walked right on since we didn’t design a car. Kat is not a big Test Track fan, but she humored us. I am in the back with Kat and Tim, and Beth is in front of me.

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_8049366637_zpspjqpigir.jpeg

Finally we headed back over to take one more ride on Soarin’. Because why not!

As we were walking out of the Soarin’ theater we were all talking about how great the night had been and how $85 was a crazy low price for what we had got in return. While we were talking who should be in front of us? But Steve and his new bride! He was so nice talking about how he had come to the Dis and how nervous he was the first time he met the team. We all congratulated him on his VERY recent marriage before saying good night.

As we were leaving we thanked Pete (John and Kevin were surrounded) and headed out. We offered Beth a ride, but she had paid for the bus. She texted me later and said she should have taken us up on the ride because the bus left an hour after the party was over!!!

I was exhausted when I got back to the room but this time I was really upset at the amount of dead bugs in my room…. Again. This time I took photos, although the bugs are hard to see.

20170602_014051_zpsd3oihypl.jpg

20170602_014335_zpswtakzjzb.jpg

20170602_014147_zpsbwzhiame.jpg

20170602_014228_zpshg3rw9pg.jpg

The kicker was when I went to wash my face. I grabbed the hand towel to dry my face and at the last minute I saw a dead mosiquito on the towel.

20170602_021026_zpsm5tjaaxv.jpg

Then I noticed them all over the counter and in the sink.

20170602_021026_zpsm5tjaaxv.jpg

20170602_100312_zpsuricow0a.jpg

20170602_100318_zpscgr9go2t.jpg

Bonus photo of peeling wall paper.

20170602_014352_zpsju0wxvbo.jpg

It was GROSS! I decided an early morning visit to the front desk was in order!

All in all this really was the perfect Disney day. I posted on Facebook.

facebook_zpsoomtx6bv.jpg

Next up: “Sleeping In” and a day alone at Disney Hollywood Studios!

Still loving your report. Cool "Oh Ooh A" video - kind of reminds me of the interactions people had with Babylonia at the Adventurer's Club. :) Sure wish I could have been with you, reminds me of the big get togethers I used to go to back in the 90's, and it was SO much fun - always running into somebody you knew, or meeting somebody new that was there for the same thing you were - made you instantly feel close to them! :) And yes - that 20th cake looks REALLY cool!! :)

wow, you really captured the time at Trader Sam's well - that was a fun time. oh, and RUM!

Thanks for posting the videos!

I had forgotten about it but now I totally remember the story Jamie told about the scissors. I am sure the Rum played a roll but I think we were all thinking "um, if it isn't sharp pointy things, what exactly are you looking for a bag check?"

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the party! I agree that it was a great deal for $85 - at the same time it felt like it went so fast!

Steve was one person I never saw but wish I did - if nothing else to tell him "congratulations"

What a magical evening!! Trader Sams is on my wish list to visit; we tried in 2015 but it hadn't opened for the day yet.

And Jodi! DD and I watched your video together and she kept saying "it's Ariel, the real Ariel!" What a special thing.

Omg, the bugs! I hope your stop at the front desk gave you something, a better room clean at the very least!

Still loving your report. Cool "Oh Ooh A" video - kind of reminds me of the interactions people had with Babylonia at the Adventurer's Club. :)

I wish I had a chance to visit the Adventurer's Club, but alas we began going to WDW after Pleasure Island had closed. It is one of those things that the "cool" Disney people talk about and I wish I had been there!

Sure wish I could have been with you, reminds me of the big get togethers I used to go to back in the 90's, and it was SO much fun - always running into somebody you knew, or meeting somebody new that was there for the same thing you were - made you instantly feel close to them! :)

I hope they keep doing these meet-ups. Let's celebrate 21 years... then 22... the more celebrations they have, the more people get to attend! I didn't get to go to the one last year. :(

wow, you really captured the time at Trader Sam's well - that was a fun time. oh, and RUM!

It really was so much fun! I love that we met Diser's who weren't part of "the group", but because we all part of this big "family" they joined in!

I had forgotten about it but now I totally remember the story Jamie told about the scissors. I am sure the Rum played a roll but I think we were all thinking "um, if it isn't sharp pointy things, what exactly are you looking for a bag check?"

Seriously! I had a manager called at Epcot last July because we had park hopped and we had a Starbucks mug... they won't let you in with a mug but you can bring in scissors?

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the party! I agree that it was a great deal for $85 - at the same time it felt like it went so fast!

I felt like it was expensive when I bought the ticket, but the experience really was worth the price.

Steve was one person I never saw but wish I did - if nothing else to tell him "congratulations"

The only person I never got to talk to in person was Ryno. He was always so busy filming.

What a magical evening!! Trader Sams is on my wish list to visit; we tried in 2015 but it hadn't opened for the day yet.

My kids are going to love it... weird thing to say, but they will think it is a hoot.

And Jodi! DD and I watched your video together and she kept saying "it's Ariel, the real Ariel!" What a special thing.

It was so surreal at the time. She was so amazing.

No TR update, but I have to include a PTR update. Since I upgraded to a AP when I was there for the 20th Anniversary Event, I of course had to plan a trip back to WDW ASAP! Cool weather is a must... so we thought about heading down during Thanksgiving again this year, but vacation time just wasn't cooperating and we are hoping for lower crowds. Funny right?:laughing: Our anniversary and DD's birthday are in early February (before President's Day and Princess weekend) so that is what we agreed on. We will have to pull the kids out of school, but their school district is good about vacations if you keep up with the work.

No room booked yet but........

Last Friday I looked at flight costs, which are a huge budget item, and Southwest fares were low... like super low. Combine that with the credit from my May flight and the Target red card/gift card discount.... and I bought 4 round trip tickets for $403.88!!!! :jumping1::jumping1:

So my countdown has begun... only 197 days until we go home!:faint:

We haven't decided where we are going to stay yet. We are throwing around a few possibilities, including renting DVC points. Ethan really wants to stay at the Animal Kingdom, and it really is tempting to me. I guess it all comes down to budget. Stupid budget....:confused3

Last edited:
No TR update, but I have to include a PTR update. Since I upgraded to a AP when I was there for the 20th Anniversary Event I of course had to plan a trip back to WDW ASAP! Cool weather is a must... so we thought about heading down during Thanksgiving again this year, but vacation time just wasn't cooperating and we are hoping for lower crowds. Funny right?:laughing: Our anniversary and DD's birthday are in early February (before President's Day and Princess weekend) so that is what we agreed on. We will have to pull the kids out of school, but their school district is good about vacations if you keep up with the work.

No room booked yet but........

Last Friday I looked at flight costs, which are a huge budget item, and Southwest fares were low... like super low. Combine that with the credit from my May flight and the Target red card/gift card discount.... and I bought 4 round trip tickets for $403.88!!!! :jumping1::jumping1:

So my countdown has begun... only 197 days until we go home!:faint:

We haven't decided where we are going to stay yet. We are throwing around a few possibilities, including renting DVC points. Ethan really wants to stay at the Animal Kingdom, and it really is tempting to me. I guess it all comes down to budget. Stupid budget....:confused3
How exciting! I sorely miss always having a countdown, regardless of how long away it was. AKL is awesome, for sure. I will say that - personally - unless you can afford to stay in a savannah view room - I would stay somewhere else, and just go there for a meal/visit/see the animals, whatever. And if your'e just doing "commando parks" and spending absolutely no time in your room, or on your balcony, enjoying the animals, I'd say the same thing. Can stay other, more convenient transportation-wise places, and/or MUCH cheaper. If that helps the decision any. :)

How exciting that you'll be back so soon!

And yes budgets are stupid, I hate them and wish I had infinite monies to spend on Disney trips!

AKL Club Level is DH's dream, says he wouldn't even go to the parks, just sit in the balcony and watch the animals.

Can stay other, more convenient transportation-wise places, and/or MUCH cheaper. If that helps the decision any. :)

It does! We are leaning toward POR or POFQ for the majority of our stay. But I am waiting to see the best deal I can get.... we did splurge on something else already.

And yes budgets are stupid, I hate them and wish I had infinite monies to spend on Disney trips!

That is the DREAM!!!

So awesome! I am tempted to get an AP...

It makes me want to go back all the time....

Not a update on my current trip per se but definitely an update. Last week was CRAZY busy at work and at home. Between working both jobs, getting ready for a huge gala at one job, and show week for Lorelai (where of course I volunteered) I am surprised I have updates to share about our upcoming trip. Well not really, because I can fit Disney planning in no matter how busy I am.

But first a few pictures of Lorelai's theatrical debut this past weekend. She was a Who in Seussical Jr.. She was also a Cadet and a Hunch.

20430042_10155035003874615_4989002297137456011_n.jpg 20476201_10155035004419615_1759972049176056030_n.jpg 20431540_10212988930573310_1528340236410230279_n.jpg

How cute is she? She loved every minute of it and never complained about the long practices, so I believe we have found her activity of choice.

I also want to share my recent interview on the Be Our Guest Podcast (I know, sharing another podcast on a DIS trip report, but they are both great podcasts, and completely different formats). I was interviewed about my 2014 trip, for which you can find the written trip report in my signature.

You can find the interview HERE!

Finally an update on our upcoming trip!

Last week I spent countless hours trying to make the Poly work for our budget... but alas it just wasn't working. So I thought about renting points for the trip... but that is still out of our budget if we want to eat while on the trip. So after a lot of number crunching I decided that we could splurge for the last two nights of our trip, which just so happen to be our anniversary and Lorelai's birthday.

So I rented points from a member of the DIS (which was crazy nerve-wracking, but I did my research) and we are booked for 2 nights at:

download (2).jpg

I just love the retro logo that they brought back!

And we will be staying in one of these beautiful villas!
download.jpg

I had originally tried to keep it a secret from my husband, but I literally only lasted one day and told him. The kids are so excited for the pull down bed and of course to go swimming here:

download (1).jpg

I am not sure where we will be staying for the first part of the trip yet, but I am leaning toward POR or POFQ. I am also interested in renting points and staying at OKW or Saratoga Springs... but we shall see.

Okay, back to our trip report!!

Not a update on my current trip per se but definitely an update. Last week was CRAZY busy at work and at home. Between working both jobs, getting ready for a huge gala at one job, and show week for Lorelai (where of course I volunteered) I am surprised I have updates to share about our upcoming trip. Well not really, because I can fit Disney planning in no matter how busy I am.

But first a few pictures of Lorelai's theatrical debut this past weekend. She was a Who in Seussical Jr.. She was also a Cadet and a Hunch.

View attachment 257807 View attachment 257808 View attachment 257809

How cute is she? She loved every minute of it and never complained about the long practices, so I believe we have found her activity of choice.

I also want to share my recent interview on the Be Our Guest Podcast (I know, sharing another podcast on a DIS trip report, but they are both great podcasts, and completely different formats). I was interviewed about my 2014 trip, for which you can find the written trip report in my signature.

You can find the interview HERE!

Finally an update on our upcoming trip!

Last week I spent countless hours trying to make the Poly work for our budget... but alas it just wasn't working. So I thought about renting points for the trip... but that is still out of our budget if we want to eat while on the trip. So after a lot of number crunching I decided that we could splurge for the last two nights of our trip, which just so happen to be our anniversary and Lorelai's birthday.

So I rented points from a member of the DIS (which was crazy nerve-wracking, but I did my research) and we are booked for 2 nights at:

View attachment 257812

I just love the retro logo that they brought back!

And we will be staying in one of these beautiful villas!
View attachment 257813

I had originally tried to keep it a secret from my husband, but I literally only lasted one day and told him. The kids are so excited for the pull down bed and of course to go swimming here:

View attachment 257814

I am not sure where we will be staying for the first part of the trip yet, but I am leaning toward POR or POFQ. I am also interested in renting points and staying at OKW or Saratoga Springs... but we shall see.

Okay, back to our trip report!!
OMG - all the kids are so ADORABLE in those pics. And your little angel looks so daggone comfortable being there! That's awesome! Congrats on doing the Poly thing, that's wonderful! And when I used to be able to go every years or so, that's what I would do - a split stay, with 2 or so nights in a "new to me" place. I got to experience so many places that way, and it was so much FUN! I think you also did it the smart way - besides perfectly being able to "celebrate" 2 events that way, I always saved the "best place" for last - did it the other one 1 time (home away from home to value), and even though staying at a WDW value is far from being in a jail cell, it sure felt like it! Doing it the other way, I REALLY appreciate the deluxe or mod that much more!!! :) :)

How cute is she?

SUPER CUTE and giant!whwn did she get so tall??

She loved every minute of it and never complained about the long practices, so I believe we have found her activity of choice.

Yay! Theatre kids are the best, I speak from experience!

but that is still out of our budget if we want to eat while on the trip

Yes, food is an important part...

which just so happen to be our anniversary and Lorelai's birthday.

Great reason to splurge!!

which was crazy nerve-wracking, but I did my research

That's a thing??

And we will be staying in one of these beautiful villas

DH wants to stay there and not do a park...???

The kids are so excited for the pull down bed and of course to go swimming here:

I would be too!!

Q. I am also interested in renting points and staying at OKW or Saratoga Springs... but we shall see.

Oooo, I hear OKW is nice. We stayed there in 1996...

I love OKW, it's one of my fave places to stay on property. The laid back atmosphere, beautiful boat ride to the Springs, and most especially the HUGE units, are all conducive to having a wonderful, relaxing vacation. And I've had some nice meals with wonderful long time CM's at Olivia's.

OMG - all the kids are so ADORABLE in those pics

I know! I was so impressed with all the kids (some as young as 6!) for the amount of hard work they put in!

I always saved the "best place" for last

That is my thought!

and even though staying at a WDW value is far from being in a jail cell, it sure felt like it!

:lmao::lmao: Seriously I laughed out loud when I read this... ugly snorting laugh! :rotfl:

SUPER CUTE and giant!whwn did she get so tall??

She is shooting up there! She makes it impossible to find pants since she is so skinny but her legs are crazy long!

Theatre kids are the best, I speak from experience!

Agreed!

food is an important part...

It is the reason we are up at the crack of dawn 180 in advance to get ADRs... and change them all for the next six months. :cool:

DH wants to stay there and not do a park...???

I am thinking about that... but we shall see.

Oooo, I hear OKW is nice. We stayed there in 1996...

I am really leaning toward it if it is still available when I am ready to pay for the room in full.

The laid back atmosphere, beautiful boat ride to the Springs, and most especially the HUGE units, are all conducive to having a wonderful, relaxing vacation. And I've had some nice meals with wonderful long time CM's at Olivia's.

I have heard AMAZING things about Olivia's!

I've loved your TR so far! I really wanted to come to the DIS 20th anniversary event, but we were in the middle of a big thing at work and I couldn't swing it.
I just listened to your interview on the Be Our Guest Podcast yesterday! It sounded like an awesome trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!