Party Size Adjustments

Mom2JoeyandBen

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had any experience where you had a last minute addition to your party size for a reservation? How is it usually handled at the host/hostess stand? Has anyone checked in and had 1 or 2 more people than the party size that their reservation was for?

We've experienced the opposite before where we had a reservation for 6 for example, but 2 people couldn't make it, and we've never had a problem being seated as a party of 4.

Adding usually is not so good. We added a person once and it added 30 minutes to the wait and it was at sci fi dine in.

Showing up with fewer is not a problem.

Unfortunately, showing up with extra people can be a problem. It really depends on if you are going at a busy time of the year, how busy the restaurant is at the time of your reservation, which restaurant, how many are on your current reservation and how many you are trying to add. You could be easily accommodated, you might have to wait longer or they will only be able to seat the number on your reservation and you will have to decide who in your group will go elsewhere.

If your reservation is for an odd number and you're adding only one person you have a better chance since most tables seat an even number, although some restaurants have tables for odd numbered groups. For the opposite scenario - even res, add one results in an odd numbered group - you'll have a harder time because you will need a larger sized table.

Call to see if your reservation can be modified. If there's nothing available, keep checking for a cancellation online for your whole party or try for a second reservation at the same time as your current one and when you check in ask if you can be seated together or near each other. There's no guarantee, but at least everyone will be seated.

Showing up and hoping you will all be seated would be a last resort. If you do this, have a Plan B in mind for those who might be turned away.

Oh boy, showing up with an additional person can be problematic. I always book for the maximum number of people in my party. I can reduce the number, but adding on is not always possible, and as has already been suggested, as a last resort with a back up plan in pace.

It is really not a "size adjustment". It is a new reservation.
As previously stated, they may be able to accommodate the new size, but they also may not. A plan B is essential.

WDW is very strict about fire code occupancy. So just showing up with extra people is a problem. They might accommodate or they can turn you away. Just keep trying for another reservation. As mentioned it might be easier to get a second reservation for the additional people rather than one reservation for a large group.

Extra can be an issue. Keep your eyes open for a reservation with the number you are planning to actually show up with.

The only case I can think of adding 1 person isn't an issue is going from a Party of 3 to a Party 4, just because I'm pretty sure there isn't one table at Disney property that is made for only 3 people.

Adding usually is not so good. We added a person once and it added 30 minutes to the wait and it was at sci fi dine in.
Ugh... We are adding 1 to our reservation at Sci Fi in October and a cast member assured me it would be fine since she "added a note" even though she couldn't confirm or change the reservation. Glad we know now that it may not work out quite so simply. ;)

The only case I can think of adding 1 person isn't an issue is going from a Party of 3 to a Party 4, just because I'm pretty sure there isn't one table at Disney property that is made for only 3 people.

There actually are some tables for 3.

It is always best to try and make an ADR for the new number of people in your group. Another thing you can try is to make a separate ADR for the extras at around the same time, show up and see if you can be seated together. Showing up with extras is always the last thing you should do.

Having said that I'm the crazy lady who is probably going to try and add 2 to Be our Guest. I've had the Touring Plan tracker going for over a month now to no avail. If they say no 2 people have volunteered to find somewhere else to eat.

I've only tried it 1 time and had success. I had a party of 4 and my cousin was able to join us last minute for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern a few days before Christmas. I wasn't sure how it would go but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. It ended up being no problem. We were seated on time as a party of 5 instead of 4. If he hadn't been able to eat with us he wouldn't have joined us, so it wouldn't have been a huge issue.

I've only tried it 1 time and had success. I had a party of 4 and my cousin was able to join us last minute for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern a few days before Christmas. I wasn't sure how it would go but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. It ended up being no problem. We were seated on time as a party of 5 instead of 4. If he hadn't been able to eat with us he wouldn't have joined us, so it wouldn't have been a huge issue.
Glad to hear that! We are mostly going to be a party of 6, but have 1 family member joining us for only a few days. He just switched his plans from being with us the last 2.5 days to the first 2.5 days, so all of my reservations are messed up! Liberty Tree Tavern is one of our reservations where we'll show up with 7 instead of 6. Fingers crossed!! And, if not, we'll just take turns being the odd person out who has to go get quick service alone. ;)

Glad to hear that! We are mostly going to be a party of 6, but have 1 family member joining us for only a few days. He just switched his plans from being with us the last 2.5 days to the first 2.5 days, so all of my reservations are messed up! Liberty Tree Tavern is one of our reservations where we'll show up with 7 instead of 6. Fingers crossed!! And, if not, we'll just take turns being the odd person out who has to go get quick service alone. ;)
If you know before hand I would most certainly try to increase the ADR size on MDE. The Change feature is good for this. Ours was a same day thing so no time to even do that.

Or, one other option, if you aren't certain on which meals, you can make all of them 7 and if you show up with 6, it will be ok.

If you can't increase your current reservation, try making a reservation for the extra person(s) around the same time as your reservation. If you are able to do this, when you get to the restaurant podium, request to be seated together. Even if they can't accommodate the seating, everyone will at least be able to eat in the same restaurant at the same time.

Liberty Tree Tavern is one of our reservations where we'll show up with 7 instead of 6.
Truly, just because one person had one experience where an extra person wasn't an issue doesn't mean that's typical or reasonably expected.

If you can't increase your current reservation, try making a reservation for the extra person(s) around the same time as your reservation. If you are able to do this, when you get to the restaurant podium, request to be seated together. Even if they can't accommodate the seating, everyone will at least be able to eat in the same restaurant at the same time.
Great idea! Have not been able to change any of our reservations inspite of repeatedly checking over several weeks, so that's great advice. Will do that! Then will continue to check back, especially the week of our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter