Passholder blockouts during Galaxy’s Edge’s opening?

PuppyJonathan

DIS Veteran
I know wdwnt is a very untrustworthy source when they speculate on things coming to Florida but when it’s rumors about tickets in California I believe it.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/rumor-dis...am-revamp-prior-debut-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

Reading this I agreed that as a passholder I actually approve of being blocked out just at Disneyland park during the first few months of Galaxy’s Edge’s opening. I know just how insanely busy it would be and I don’t want to put up with that!!!

Why I’m positing this is just to ask, did we hear anything similar coming to World as well? I know my plan was avoiding MGM for maybe a year when Galaxy’s Edge opened since I wasn’t putting up with those crowds we all know are going to show up. It makes sense but I wanted to ask

Nothing rumored for WDW yet. I’m not surprised they would do this for Disneyland. That park is going to become insanely busy.
Especially considering it’s mostly passholders there. I’m scared for Florida for the regular tourists

Nothing rumored for WDW yet. I’m not surprised they would do this for Disneyland. That park is going to become insanely busy.

With dlr and pass holder blackouts I can see them doing a blackout for a bit. Same in Florida for their fl resident pass that has blackouts.

As a WDW passholder that lives over 1200 miles away, I would be severely ticked off if they did this in Florida. I can't just pop in any day. I have to plan my vacations in November for the whole following year. I can't plan & book a vacation & then find out my AP is blocked. Maybe the could do it with Florida resident passes that already have blackout dates, but not the regular platinum AP. Especially with the rate they are charging now.

As a WDW passholder that lives over 1200 miles away, I would be severely ticked off if they did this in Florida. I can't just pop in any day. I have to plan my vacations in November for the whole following year. I can't plan & book a vacation & then find out my AP is blocked. Maybe the could do it with Florida resident passes that already have blackout dates, but not the regular platinum AP. Especially with the rate they are charging now.
We’ll truly have to see what they do just for residents. It wouldn’t surprise me if just gold and/or platinum can get in. I think you fall into one of those two, is that correct? I’m a silver passholder so I’m out (from family who live down there and paid for the pass if you’re asking why since that’s florida resident)

We’ll truly have to see what they do just for residents. It wouldn’t surprise me if just gold and/or platinum can get in. I think you fall into one of those two, is that correct? I’m a silver passholder so I’m out (from family who live down there and paid for the pass if you’re asking why since that’s florida resident)
Have you used it yet? Unless you are under 18 (maybe 16, not sure) and with a parent when checking in you will need photo id with a FL address on it to activate the pass-- they don't make it easy.

We have already said after our APs expire for DLR we will not be returning for aprox. 5 years. Time for us to do other things and not get trampled by the Galaxy's Edge chaos.

I seriously doubt they could add blackout dates to a pass after it was sold, unless it was specifically in the purchase contract that they could. It sounds like all of these changes would be made before the passes were sold.

They will make the BO date changes a year before it opens, not change the BO dates after they sell the pass. I would hustle and renew at the very first day I could if it was getting close. Now, I also read they may block us out of SW land specially for the entire summer, which I suppose they could do to existing passes because when you bought your pass SW land wasn't even open, so you aren't losing a benefit, they just aren't giving it to you.

We are seriously considering letting ours lapse when SW land opens after 22 years of having AP's. I won't go near that crowd, and honestly it has gotten so bad lately it's not a quick run over after school for a couple of hours activity like it was 5-10 years ago. :-( Plus once that 3rd kid turns 3.... $$$$$$

I seriously doubt they could add blackout dates to a pass after it was sold, unless it was specifically in the purchase contract that they could. It sounds like all of these changes would be made before the passes were sold.
I agree. Even if they are allowed to adjust blackout dates, it would be very bad PR to really do so.

Regardless, I expect to see blackout dates start adjusting with renewals later this year on both coasts. It will definitely be interesting to watch unfold.

Considering they sell the Platinum Pass as "no blockout dates", I can't see them changing that unless they change the tiers of passes (which would be odd to do at this time, considering they just increased the passes).

The thing is . .they have time to do this. they could theoretically make an announcement and change AP tiers at least a year in advance.

But I hoep not, I am looking to get an AP for the first time (out of stater) (Platinum) to be able to (hopefully) have some flexibility of checking out Star Wars Galaxy's Edge after it opens (Hopefully before mid-October 2019) 11 months after my upcoming November 2018 trip (to check out Toy Story Land).

If that changes (before I buy the pass this November), I just won't get one and won't plan a trip in 2019.

Have you used it yet? Unless you are under 18 (maybe 16, not sure) and with a parent when checking in you will need photo id with a FL address on it to activate the pass-- they don't make it easy.
My dad did it all since he lives down there and explained everything. And I have used it since. This is why I was nervous explaining that online

Mayyyyyyyyyyybe they are hoping that the fanatic, salivating SW geek-crowds who will come ONLY for Star Wars, who have saved up and spent so much $$$$$$$$ on this "exclusive, immersive trip of a lifetime", will find something fun they like about Disney during Opening Year, enough towards swaying their wallets to enjoy returning to the other Parks in the future? :)

I mean, maybe Disney doesn't want/need the AP's to spend money on their trips there at Opening Year - they really do want you all to come back again and again and again but maybe they're directing you towards saving up yet more $$$$$$$$ in following years, and they want to get the majority of the die-hard SW fans outta the way first. I mean, they have the DVC'ers for quite some time on the repeat visit, right?

Depends on how many upsells and preview parties of SWL that the Disney execs can manage, too! ;)

I myself am torn between wanting to be in the madness experiencing it all, and then I remind myself that Bill Murray's character did NOT enjoy himself in Groundhog Day, and Opening Year in SWL sounds just about the equivalent to me. :D

Mayyyyyyyyyyybe they are hoping that the fanatic, salivating SW geek-crowds who will come ONLY for Star Wars, who have saved up and spent so much $$$$$$$$ on this "exclusive, immersive trip of a lifetime", will find something fun they like about Disney during Opening Year, enough towards swaying their wallets to enjoy returning to the other Parks in the future? :)

I mean, maybe Disney doesn't want/need the AP's to spend money on their trips there at Opening Year - they really do want you all to come back again and again and again but maybe they're directing you towards saving up yet more $$$$$$$$ in following years, and they want to get the majority of the die-hard SW fans outta the way first. I mean, they have the DVC'ers for quite some time on the repeat visit, right?

Depends on how many upsells and preview parties of SWL that the Disney execs can manage, too! ;)

I myself am torn between wanting to be in the madness experiencing it all, and then I remind myself that Bill Murray's character did NOT enjoy himself in Groundhog Day, and Opening Year in SWL sounds just about the equivalent to me. :D

One simple reason they won't block out the resident pass-- (let alone the regular ap's)
Many DVC members have the resident pass--- Disney needs continued DVC sales, and in order to match the continued price increase on the DVC properties, they need to keep increasing the perks and perceived value in the product.... by blocking the resident (or any) AP, they would eliminate a large group of DVC members, making DVC look not so magical. I think they would prefer to use DVC and AP for the soft openings, like before with Avatar, to increase the draw.

If you compare it to Pandora, I went for the AP preview and then I have pretty much avoided Pandora. I have gone to AK, but just given that part of the park a wide berth. I haven’t had issues getting FP because I am not fighting for the Pandora FP, and haven’t felt the Park in general was more crowded than before Pandora. I will probably employ the same strategy for SWGE. I am a casual fan of the original trilogy, but not so much the later movies, so while I would go to an AP preview if offered, I would have no problem waiting to visit again until it’s been through at least one annual cycle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter