Passing time while in line

I like to read or play Pokemon Go in line. Yes, that means my nose is in my phone, because I have the Kindle app on my phone. Nothing wrong with being on your phone/Kindle/whatnot if you don't want to talk to strangers around you! I usually think I'm going to play PoGo around the park but only end up doing it if I'm stuck in line. I end up enjoying myself just walking around or people watching and I sort of forget to play until I'm in a 45 minute line for Haunted Mansion, haha.

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Concerning being "that person": The comment wasn't meant to be judgmental. It reflects me wanting to be in the moment and enjoying it rather than responding to being uncomfortable by escaping into my phone.

I used to carry a physical book, but technology has put them into kindles and phones now for easier transport!

I've found it very natural to go to a table service restaurant, look at the menu, greet the waiter and place the order, read until the food arrives, then set it aside and eat and gaze around the dining room. Sometimes I read while eating, but in the nicer restaurants I'm less likely to because both hands are more often required! You can also read a few pages while waiting for dessert!

When you're done you can pick the book/kindle/phone back up again and that generally will send the waiter back over to give you your check!

You're going to have a wonderful time. There's something really intoxicating about complete freedom of mobility (in the absence of other people to consult).

Hahah...yeah it is! Other times of year is a little harder. I rely on the degree of farmer's tan in most cases, and locals have a little bit more of a casual touring style. I suspect dis'ers would throw me off a bit.
And not only hidden Mickey's but other things too! Just this year I heard about the hidden Pascals by the Tangled restrooms. I'm not sure a restroom has been on my must-see list of any previous vacation in my life, but it sure is now!
Tangled restrooms are neat. What are hidden pascals? I’m guessing you’re not talking units of pressure!

Speaking of locals vs tourists. A lot of locals hang out outside the tangled restrooms. A popular spot to slow down, charge phones, nap, and eat packed lunches. I’ve seen fried chicken, pizza in zip locks, sandwiches, pre made hot dogs. Many locals obviously wear USF, UCF, Lightening, Bucs, FSU, Miami, NASA, etc clothing. It seems like most of my co-workers from Tampa were pale/not very tanned from sun aversion. But that could be because I was hanging out a bunch of couped up bankers that were workaholics. Small sample but my other Disney friends seem to favor EP the most for the meals/drinks, especially F&W

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Concerning being "that person": The comment wasn't meant to be judgmental. It reflects me wanting to be in the moment and enjoying it rather than responding to being uncomfortable by escaping into my phone.
That's been my main concern about my phone use as well. I'll be honest, when I did my solo trip to Disneyland Paris last year I did spend a lot of time on my phone. In some ways that's fine; I did spend at least some of my time going through my photos to delete the ones I didn't like and compile Facebook posts out of favorites. I'd also message photos of weird stuff to friends, but whether your friends will react positively to that is up to you to judge. In other ways, I did find that I relied on the phone sometimes more than I would have liked to occupy myself--the point of going is to be immersed, so you have to strike the balance of not being bored versus not being too fixated on the screen.

When I did the College Program in WDW, I would always bring a paperback novel with me and read while waiting in line. I did get a few odd looks for that now and then; I think it's more obvious you're alone if you're reading a book than if you're on your phone (as others have said, even people in groups are on their phones a lot in the parks). I never got any mean comments about it, though, so I didn't bother about the occasional side-eye from strangers.

Re: phones, though...they've released that app, Play Disney Parks, that appears to be designed specifically to keep people entertained in line. I'm interested in trying that since it seems like it might be more relevant to where I am than playing around on other apps or reading a book, since the games are supposed to tie in with the parks themselves. I'm interested in trying it, but my expectations aren't too high--the online game for Crush's Coaster in DLP was not particularly good and I don't have a lot of faith that the WDW app will be a lot better. Here's hoping I'm wrong, though!

Tangled restrooms are neat. What are hidden pascals? I’m guessing you’re not talking units of pressure!

Speaking of locals vs tourists. A lot of locals hang out outside the tangled restrooms. A popular spot to slow down, charge phones, nap, and eat packed lunches. I’ve seen fried chicken, pizza in zip locks, sandwiches, pre made hot dogs. Many locals obviously wear USF, UCF, Lightening, Bucs, FSU, Miami, NASA, etc clothing. It seems like most of my co-workers from Tampa were pale/not very tanned from sun aversion. But that could be because I was hanging out a bunch of couped up bankers that were workaholics. Small sample but my other Disney friends seem to favor EP the most for the meals/drinks, especially F&W
Pascal is the chameleon in Tangled. There's little Pascals all over the restroom area]

I've traveled both with my family and gone solo several times, and I've gotten to the point that I feel comfortable wandering alone. I really like the reading a book in line idea. I also try as much as I can to stay off the phone during DL/WDW trips, but sometimes it really does help pass the time. I'm an avid people watcher, and when you go to Disney, there's no shortage of people to watch!

Great topic BTW...

I found that carrying my sketchbook around with me was a great way to pass idle time. Whether I was eating at the Art of Animation food court or just sitting down somewhere to rest my feet, I would doodle and sketch whatever looked interesting to me at the time, and it often lead to some lovely conversations with passersby as well. I also kept the Disney Tsum Tsum game on my phone, (its a super simple and cheerful game to play), and that helped keep me in that "Disney spirit" even in crowded lines. Hope you have a great time!

I found that carrying my sketchbook around with me was a great way to pass idle time. Whether I was eating at the Art of Animation food court or just sitting down somewhere to rest my feet, I would doodle and sketch whatever looked interesting to me at the time, and it often lead to some lovely conversations with passersby as well. I also kept the Disney Tsum Tsum game on my phone, (its a super simple and cheerful game to play), and that helped keep me in that "Disney spirit" even in crowded lines. Hope you have a great time!

I love this! Makes me wish I had any artistic ability. There’s be so much to sketch in a Disney park. Unfortunately my sketch book would just be filled with stick figures. 😆

Count me with the masses reading a book on their phone! I usually last about 15 minutes in line before I bring out the book. I spend that time looking around and enjoying the scenery, or chatting with a stranger in line (If I'm feeling chatty, which isn't too often, I'm an introvert too! I usually kick it off with a compliment, that way if they're not interested in talking they can just say "thanks" and turn around.). After I cross that 15 minute threshold, it's book time! Occasionally I'll play a phone game or browse facebook, but I feel that I'm at Disney to enjoy myself, and playing around on the internet isn't really ENJOYABLE, it's just a habit, while reading is enjoyable for me. I think the key here is to find something you enjoy, that is pocket sized, whether it's on your phone or not, and make sure that if you're doing something "non-Disney" it's something that makes your trip more enjoyable! I once saw a lady knitting at Cosmic Ray's, and people kept going up to her and complimenting her work, so don't worry if you pick something unique!

I once saw a lady knitting at Cosmic Ray's, and people kept going up to her and complimenting her work, so don't worry if you pick something unique!
There's a thought...having taken my knitting out in public (though not in WDW), I think one of the most convenient ways I've managed it was to knit a scarf and just wrap it around my neck as it got longer--little warm for Florida summer, though! That's a better trick for work conferences in cold hotels. But I do find that knitting is great to keep my hands busy and occupy me enough to let me relax; it's just a little inconvenient to carry a project sometimes.

Like others have said here - I read in line and at restaurants. I have iBooks on my phone loaded up with some easier reads like novels and autobiographies. Something that's not to tricky to pick up if you randomly have to put it down. My husband will pack his smaller Kindle in his pocket. I also like to have Heads Up on my phone - sometimes you can strike up a game with people in line.

My phone strategy is to leave it on airplane and battery saver mode all day, and I only turn on the phone every so often to check the WDW/DL app. I've found I can usually stay on one battery all day that way.

Some sort of book---a book to read, a puzzle book, or a journal to write in. Anything with pages works for me.

Read a book. My daughter read an entire book one week at WDW, mostly while waiting in line. It was a soft cover, she hates reading books on her phone or using a nook, kindle...

When I was a kid, and they had hot dog vendors around the parks, my mom & i would grab lunch & go on a line of 30+ minutes and eat while we were in line. It was a little tricky, but thats why we favored the hot dogs (they were footlongs & they gave you a paper boat to hold them in, with a bag of chips & a drink.) So, if you have a lunch that's portable enough, you could do that. Just make sure you choose a line that you know has trash cans on (like Jungle Cruise in MK)

I've tried the Disney Play app, but it never wants to connect to disney's wifi (which my phone also hates using) and seems like it's always buffering/crashing (both at the park and when i've tried playing with it at home.)

When I go solo, I do a combo of sit down and quick service. I love going to Teppan Edo since I know I will be seated with others and there is a show. Keeps me off the phone and gets me interacting with others for at least 1 meal. I do often play on my phone in lines and at some of the other restaurants --- sometimes reading or sometimes just playing games.

I’m an introvert and fairly outgoing—being introverted just means that you get energy from being alone. I’m a habitual line chatter. Just yesterday I had the most wonderful experience chatting with two different families, ahead and behind me, in the Disney Visa character greet line at Epcot. I think the particular line helped, because you’ve got to be something of a superfan to have a Disney Visa card anyway.

One of the things I love about solo travel is meeting and interacting with people from all walks of life. CMs and guests alike. Not one person has been judgy or weird when they found out I’m solo, so far on this trip. We all have love of Disney in common. And people are fascinated when I talk about why my partner couldn’t make it because her job is so interesting (she does art restoration).

After I’ve had my fill of human interaction and the batteries need recharged, I tend to read on my phone or play a game, look at wait times, mobile order food, refresh for more fp etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!