Passing time while in line

You've inspired me! I'm going with a friend for 4.5 days in January, and I decided to go a day early, and have two days (or at least 1.5 days) on my own. I can do what I want, wait in line or not, etc, and take time to do what she may not want to do.

I am a 57 year-old introvert planning my first solo trip for this fall looking for ideas:

I'm not terribly comfortable eating alone, so I thought counter service (rather than waiting at a table to be served) would be a better choice for me. I don't want to be that person with their nose in their phone while eating. How do other solos spend their meal time?

Waiting in line for an attraction: How do other solos spend that time to make it go quicker?

In past trip with 'the girls', when I was alone and tried getting out of my comfort zone by talking to someone who made eye-contact that appeared to be alone, my attempts have been met with the swooping in an apparent partner to intervene. LOL

I'm kind of similar about the solo meals. Normally I hate eating at sit downs by myself but I find it actually pretty comfortable at Disney. Good thing too since I can't eat a lot of the QS places.

And in some places you can't get really good cell service anyway so you won't be looking at your phone for that reason.

I do solo day trips all the time and one other strategy that I haven’t seen mentioned is eating at the bar. At Tune-In Lounge and Yak & Yeti you can order from the full restaurant menus. Other bars like Nomad Lounge or any of the resort lounges have more limited menus but still have great food. And you might feel less obviously solo sitting at the bar vs. a table. I’ve had some great conversations with “strangers” that I’ve met at Disney bars.

I used to be uncomfortable with it (especially eating). I started with talking to people in line (making over their kids usually goes well), plan my next FP or park move, I read a book on my phone or Kindle, playing on the Disney Play app - one gets dull I just swap to another. Eating - I usually choose counter service for just me unless there is somewhere I have wanted to try that I can never get anyone else to go to. While eating I will do a lot of the same and answer email (as I try to ignore that except at mealtimes). I also choose places with a bar for a change up - like Tune In Lounge where I can eat at the bar and talk to the bartenders - they are usually up for some chatting while they work.

For the people who are too uncomfortable to eat TS alone...think about this....there are MANY people who dine alone/go on a disney trip alone for many reasons. You could be there on business, you could be a few days early meeting your party, etc. Its not a strange/foreign concept. Try it out. I have zero issues going to restaurants by myself. I love my solo trips! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter