Passport Question

AcrossthePondNic

Mouseketeer
I’ve got what’s probably a stupid question, but thanks to reading other forums I’m a little confused and can’t seem to get a straight answer so I’m hoping some of you lovely people can help. We are travelling this August and my passport will still have 13 months left on it. However, it does have a chip but is the photo stuck in rather than printed onto the page itself. I’ve read that even though it has a chip it might not be suitable for travel to the US unless it’s the printed on photo, but I’ve also read that it’s fine. I don’t want to risk being turned away but I’ve never applied for a new passport 18 months in advance of its expiry before so don’t even know if it’s wise to apply that far in advance of its expiry date . Anyone know if it’s still ok or the most reliable place to find out? Even the official gov sites seem to have conflicting comments and travel agents don’t like to commit themselves.

It is absolutely fine as long as it is an e-passport and has a chip, which all passports issued since 2006 have.

You can apply for a new passport if it is worrying you though - I applied for one when mine was just two years old as I changed my surname. As long as you're paying they don't mind!

If it sets your mind at rest I travelled last July on my passport which expired February and I have just renewed. There was no issue as the machines can read all chips - we even used it at the Global Entry kiosks as we have GE membership now and if they can read it then ordinary booths will!

Thanks all. It definitely has a chip so I’m hoping it’ll be fine. Im reluctant to spend more unless I have to but I’m mulling over the idea of putting in an application. OH has expired so I’ll wait for his new one to arrive and then decide. Am I right in assuming if I apply for the ESTAs and that all goes through that would also mean my passport has been accepted?

Thanks all. It definitely has a chip so I’m hoping it’ll be fine. Im reluctant to spend more unless I have to but I’m mulling over the idea of putting in an application. OH has expired so I’ll wait for his new one to arrive and then decide. Am I right in assuming if I apply for the ESTAs and that all goes through that would also mean my passport has been accepted?

Your passport is absolutely fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter