Passports for Cruise???

shadawn

Earning My Ears
Has anyone been on the cruise resently, and what are they accepting for valid id. My travel agent told me that a valid drivers licence with photo and birth certificate was enough but after research on Dreams Unlimited, they say a valid passport is needed. After sharing this with my TA, she still says dl and bc?? I don't want to get there and they turn us away but I also don't want to spend over $400 on passports if I don't need to.:confused: :confused:

I'm pretty sure you need your passport. We did on the cruise in Sept 2000. They hold your passport for the duration of the trip and then give it back to you on debarkation.

I would check with DCL directly.

DCL has recently changed their policy. They used to accept a birth certificate and photo ID but now you NEED a valid passport.

Make sure you have a passport before you leave!

We went last Oct and our TA told us that we HAD to have our passports. I would get them anyway just to be on the safe side.

We leave next week for our 7-day Western cruise, and the documents we received from DCL clearly specify that for all cruisers who are not American citizens, a passport is required. We got ours last year when we drove to WDW and it makes crossing the border much easier. (At least for us, anyway.)

- Mike

Thanks everyone. Looks as if I better get applying for those passports soon. We only have 52 days left until we leave for our trip of a lifetime.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We are cruising in Decmeber and I was seeing conflicting information so I sent an email to DCL Guest Communications. Here's the reply. We got passports anyway to be on the safe side!

7/30/02

Thank you for your e-mail.

All U.S. and Canadian citizens must travel with proof of citizenship, which is a valid Passport, a Birth Certificate (an original one with a raised seal from your state of birth) along with a picture identification, or a Certified Naturalization Certificate along with a picture identification. Acceptable forms of picture identification are a state or provincial driver's license with a picture, or a federal, state, province, or local government photo I.D. card.
Travel documents required throughout the vacation are the responsibility of the guest. We ask that guests consult with their travel agent, government agencies,embassy, or consulate to determine documentary requirements. Guests under 18
will be permitted to board with just their Birth Certificate if travelling with a parent or legal guardian.

We look forward to the chance to sail with you.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Disney Cruise Line Guest Communications

Original Message Follows:

This was recently posted on the cruise line board:

DCL has just released a reminder about documentation requirements. This is especially important for Canadian citizens, who were able to travel withOUT a passport before. That is no longer the case. Here is the updated information:

IMPORTANT DOCUMENTATION REMINDER
We would like to clarify our position regarding acceptable documentation necessary to travel aboard our cruise ships.

All U.S.citizens must travel with proof of citizenship. These include one of the following:

• Valid U.S. Passport

• Certified birth certificate with acceptable picture identification. Copies of birth certificates without a raised seal are not acceptable.

• Certified Naturalization certificate with acceptable picture identification.

Acceptable forms of picture identification are state driver’s license, or federal, state or local government photo ID card. Guests age 17 and under who are U.S. citizens are only required to have proof of citizenship, excluding picture identification.

All non-U.S.citizens, including alien residents of the United States, must have valid passports and necessary visas at time of embarkation to ensure his/her ability to re-enter the U.S. upon the ship’s return. Travel documents required throughout the vacation are the responsibility of the Guest.

These guidelines are based on U.S. government regulations, which are subject to change at any time. It is the Guest’s responsibility to check with their travel agent, government agencies, embassies or consulates prior to their vacation to ensure that they have proper documentation.

Unfortunately, any Guest traveling without proper documentation, as mentioned above, will not be allowed to board the vessel . We hope this clarifies our position regarding acceptable documentation.

We received our documents at the beginning of September. The box sports a large flourescent orange label listing requirements for US citizens. The last line states:
Non-U.S. citizens please refer to page 2 of your Passport to Disney Magic or Passport to Disney Wonder

The Passport to Disney Wonder has a contents page as page 2. Page 3 lists Customs and Immigration requirements but is overstamped "Revised Please see insert". The insert is dated July 9 2002 and has a specific listing for Canadian Citizens (not resident in the US):
must have one of the following:
- valid Canadian Passport
- Canadian picture ID issued by a provincial government /proof of citizenship and oral declaration of nonimmigrant status in the US

So passports would be easier but Disney's documentation clearly states acceptable alternatives.

Although they could deny boarding if you did not have a Canadian passport they would have to compensate you having sent out contrary instruction.

After all that this latest instruction is incorrect on at least two counts: they require visitors who entered on the Visa Waiver Program to have an I-94 card - which is for a real visa when they should require an I-94W (green rather than white); they require everyone other than US or Canadian citizens to have a visa or visa waiver.

The last point supposedly means I cannot board as I am a UK citizen but as a permanent resident of Canada do not need a visa or waiver to enter the US. I am not bothered as I know I can refer them to an INS officer but it shows how inaccurate the DCL documentation can be.

My two cents.

I would NOT chance heading down for a cruise without a passport. We were on a Wind Surf cruise last March, just as the new guidelines were sent out indicating that Cruise passengers (as opposed to persons entering only the U.S.) absolutely required passports. We scrambled to get ours. None of the Canadians on the cruise were without a passport.

I would never assume that the "misinformation" from DCL would somehow entitle you to compensation (nor would that comfort me greatly). You will note the strongly worded waiver right in Disney's documentation saying that the Passport is YOUR responsibility.

I have heard of a recent horror story. Engaged couple went down to one of the Islands for a wedding. All the family and guests were to follow the following week. When they arrived at the airport only 3 of the 12 wedding party/family group were able to get on the plane. The other nine people had no passports and did not leave!!! It was a much smaller wedding than the couple had planned.

So....my humble advice. Going on a Cruise? Get a passport! And don't leave it until the last minute, especially if you don't live in a metro area with an Immigration office. Due to 9/11 and the stepped-up checks being done, the waiting time is longer than before. I am often asked to sign as guarantor for passport applications and I have seen far too many panicked people ready to go out the door, and no passport yet!

(Also, we found it necessary to have photo i.d. with us in addition to the Passports. The passports are retained by Cruise Line and on occasion, we were asked for photo id.)

Dave in the Frozen North

Wendy: All cruise lines hold your id, whether it is your passport or your bc and photo id, so that they can expedite clearing the ship when they reach certain ports. Instead of making each person talk with authorities from a port, they simply show that persons ID as part of the manifest. When this process has been completed, you will hear an announcement stating that the shipped has been cleared and you may now go ashore.

There may still be a time during your cruise, depending on your itinerary and the order of ports that are visited when you will be required to get up early and clear customs yourself. This will be done when you re-enter a US port.

I just returned from the cruise last week. I have a passport and absolutely agree that you should never travel internationally (to the US and beyond)without one. BUT, when I checked in at the terminal,I asked if my birth certificate would suffice as the document surrendered as I was very uncomfortable handing my passport over to anyone (yes, even to Disney). Also, with plans to roam about Nassau, I was also uncomfortable thinking I would be without my passport in a foreign country. And YES, I was able to leave my BC instead of the passport. But by no means am I saying don't get a passport. You still need picture ID to get off and on the ship, so what better than your passport.

I think I may have been the only Canadian on board. At the 6am customs romp I was very lonely (I was travelling with Americans). Don't forget to set that alarm!!!

I agree with everyone else ... the passport is the best form of identification when you're travelling abroad ... even if they say that a driver's license is acceptable. I even take my passport with me when I go to Buffalo ... I find its much faster than the driver's license/birth certificate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter