Passports....

NewYorkcruiser

Earning My Ears
We applied, we waited (impatiently checking the website daily) and it looks like they may finally be on their way. Can someone tell me how they are shipped? Fedex? UPS? Please don't tell me USPS with no way of tracking.

Usually through USPS, but they do have tracking on it, well as much tracking as the postal system offers.

We applied, we waited (impatiently checking the website daily) and it looks like they may finally be on their way. Can someone tell me how they are shipped? Fedex? UPS? Please don't tell me USPS with no way of tracking.
How long has it been since you applied?

Just an FYI, Routine Service is currently 6 to 8 weeks plus mailing time, expedited service is 2-3 weeks. If you do need it faster, there are agencies that can get it faster, exact time depends on the situation.

When you applied you had the option to get it sent by USPS overnight when finished for $15.45 each (this is separate from the $60 fee for expedited service) . If you didn't do that then yep, Priority Mail it is.

As mentioned, they come USPS Priority mail. I also wanted to mention that you will get two mailings. One with the actual passport and a separate one with your birth certificate. In my experience, the package with the passport comes first and the one with the birth certificate comes a couple days later.

As mentioned, they come USPS Priority mail. I also wanted to mention that you will get two mailings. One with the actual passport and a separate one with your birth certificate. In my experience, the package with the passport comes first and the one with the birth certificate comes a couple days later.

Thank you for that information.

We applied on Sunday, June 4th. The website says they are in the final stages of processing and we should have them no later than July 2nd.
Oh, that's not long. You'll get it very soon. My experience has been that the State Dept. does a good job in processing passports on a timely basis.

Does anyone know who is eligible to renew their passport on line? The US Passport website said it would take ~85 minutes to fill out the forms to start the application process on line, but I didn't see a checklist of who or how one would be eligible to renew on line. Any advice, I'd much appreciate it.

Does anyone know who is eligible to renew their passport on line? The US Passport website said it would take ~85 minutes to fill out the forms to start the application process on line, but I didn't see a checklist of who or how one would be eligible to renew on line. Any advice, I'd much appreciate it.

All you're doing with that is filling in the form and then it will generate a PDF for you to print. You're not renewing online; you're filling out the form while online.

If you have a post office that does renewals, go there and grab the paper form. :). And I cannot imagine why it would take that long to fill it out. Go here (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html), look over under the yellow Forms box, and click PDF to print it out if you don't have a nearby office to grab a form from.

As for who can renew by mail (because that's what you're doing even if you fill it out online)...

You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

• Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

All you're doing with that is filling in the form and then it will generate a PDF for you to print. You're not renewing online; you're filling out the form while online.

If you have a post office that does renewals, go there and grab the paper form. :). And I cannot imagine why it would take that long to fill it out. Go here (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html), look over under the yellow Forms box, and click PDF to print it out if you don't have a nearby office to grab a form from.

As for who can renew by mail (because that's what you're doing even if you fill it out online)...

Thank you. So I guess my questions are (1) Can your current passport be already expired when you apply by mail? And (2).is it any quicker or still the 6-8 wks? And i have a 3rd question i don't remember the answer to: At what point in time do you have your photo taken? Before you would actually apply?

Thank you. So I guess my questions are (1) Can your current passport be already expired when you apply by mail? And (2).is it any quicker or still the 6-8 wks? And i have a 3rd question i don't remember the answer to: At what point in time do you have your photo taken? Before you would actually apply?
1) Yes, your current passport can be expired. It just has to be issued within the last 15 years, so not expired more than 5 years.

2) I can't remember if they promise shorter than the 6-8 weeks but my experience when I renewed last year was I got the renewal passport in the mail 3 weeks after mailing it in. Then again, my DDs first passport only took 3 weeks to get back in 2014.

3) You have to mail the photos in with your application, so yes, before you apply.

(1) As long as it was issued within the past 15 years.
(2) Time varies by how many applications they've received, but I was surprised how quickly mine came back. The expired passport will be returned to you separately.
(3) You'd need the picture before you actually apply.

Children under 16 yrs passports cannot be renewed online.

Also:

I'm not sure what part of the country the original poster is in but if they have an aversion to waiting, there are options. Here in Dallas, you can have your passport made and printed on the spot at the downtown Dallas passport office (same day service). All you have to do is show an itinerary that you are departing the country within 2 weeks and have all of your supporting documents (expired passport or birth certificate, drivers license, SSN card, payment etc.) They produce your passport right there and you have it same day. No weeks of waiting and wondering. This applies to new ones, renewals replacement of lost or damaged, name change, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!