Pay for everything with Magic Bands?

timsueshd

Julie the Cruise Director
Have not been to Disney since the invention of Magic Bands, so sorry for the silly question...

I am not a fan of carrying a lot of cash around the parks... Can everything be paid with your Magic Band, or do you still need cash or card for some stuff?

Everything in the parks should accept Magic Bands for payment.

I still carry one credit card incase the magic band charging system goes down (it does happen )

Disney computer systems have been known to crash every now and then. I highly suggest carrying some backup cash.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, then yes, you can charge pretty much everything to your room with your MagicBand and PIN. It gets added to your hotel folio and will get charged to your credit card on file every so often (based on $$ threshold reached). However, technology glitches do happen, so as other mention, I would recommend having at least a little cash or a credit card on you in case MagicBand charging goes down.

As others have mentioned, if you are staying onsite, you can use the magicband to pay for meals, shopping, kiosks and most snack carts.
At times, the system goes down, so having a little cash or a credit card with you is not a bad option.

I plan to use my Magic Bands for all purchases... but I also plan to have cash and my debit card on hand just in case.

If you are AP or DVC, you need to show the card to get the discount. Magic Band alone will not get you the discount.

I always carry a card and some cash. I always end up at a kiosk that doesn't take MB.

Last edited:
I remember F&W a couple of years ago when the MB readers and credit card system went down. If you didn't have cash on you, there was no way to make a purchase.

There were a lot of sober people at Epcot that day.

I believe a few of the little carts are still not equipped to accept MB charging. It never hurts to carry a $20 just in case you find yourself in a situation where the MB isn’t working. I checked in one time when the computer system was down and MB, dining credits and credit cards weren’t working. They couldn’t even load cc info on the hotel folio at check in. That lasted about 24 hours before it was fixed.

If you don't want to carry your debit or credit card i will suggest carrying a little cash and a Disney gift card with some $ on it. That way you have options in case the magic band doesn't work.

Nearly everything can be paid for by charging it to your room reservation via a magic band.
There are still some places that only take cash though such as if you want to purchase a giant balloon and some other small cart vendors.
I would definitely still bring some cash into the parks and do bring the credit card that is linked to your MDE account/magic band because there are times that computers go down or magic bands don't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter