PayPal

disneykins

DIS Veteran
I live in Canada but have a USD PayPal account. I use it to rent my DVC through Disney Dave. The money goes into PayPal in USD but when I try to get it out, it will only send it to my Canadian bank in Canadian funds, meaning I have to pay the exchange rates. I'd rather withdraw it in USD to take on my next vacation in the US. I have a USD account and credit card at CIBC but PayPal still insist on exchanging it. Any ideas on how to get it out in US funds? I guess I cant get a US bank account without a US address.
Thanks,
Tony

You can't do it I've been around the loop on this many times. Supposedly you can do this with RBC but even this no longer works. PayPal doesn't seem to care about its customers in Canada if you look at their own FAQ replies to this issue which come up often online. They used to send cheques I us dollars until January this year until they ended the practice. Many of us out here share you frustration

I live in Canada but have a USD PayPal account. I use it to rent my DVC through Disney Dave. The money goes into PayPal in USD but when I try to get it out, it will only send it to my Canadian bank in Canadian funds, meaning I have to pay the exchange rates. I'd rather withdraw it in USD to take on my next vacation in the US. I have a USD account and credit card at CIBC but PayPal still insist on exchanging it. Any ideas on how to get it out in US funds? I guess I cant get a US bank account without a US address.
Thanks,
Tony
Why not use your paypaa account to buy some Gift Cards? I'm pretty sure there was a conversation a month or so ago about this ... Disney sells e-cards that you can pay for with paypal. I would imagine other companies have something similar, just a thought.

Thanks,
Tony
If I'm not mistaken, you can get a U.S. bank account through RBC (http://www.rbcbank.com/index.page) or TD (https://www.tdbank.com/) with a Canadian address. Note: I'm not referring to Canadian U.S. dollar accounts from RBC and TD -- I'm referring to U.S. bank accounts via the U.S. subsidiaries of RBC and TD.

I guess I cant get a US bank account without a US address.

Sure you can. I have two, and no US address. Canadian banks that run US operations typically cater to Canadian cross-border customers, and so have processes in place to facilitate. PP mentioned RBC and TD; I would add BMO Harris as an option. It can be done at other US banks as well, but you usually have to be physically present at a branch to open the account, and the absence of a US SSN can cause hiccups. Easiest is to stick with one of the Canadian banks, unless you have a good reason not to. Account fees and minimum no-fee balance thresholds vary. There's a sticky at the top of the Canadian forum on this topic - some of the information there might be dated, but it's a decent place to start.

That said, I'm not entirely certain it solves your PayPal problem. Even if your PayPal balance is in USD, if it's a Canadian account (probably based on primary address?), they may insist on linking Canadian bank accounts only.

If you have a canadian bank account even if it is a us dollar acct then PayPal will convert to canadian when it transfers across the border. There are no exceptions to this. As the other poster said you would need to have a us dollar account physically based in the us. This is not always easy to facilitate.

If you have a Canadian bank account even if it is a us dollar acct then PayPal will convert to Canadian when it transfers across the border. There are no exceptions to this. As the other poster said you would need to have a us dollar account physically based in the us. This is not always easy to facilitate.

This is exactly what I do, and it IS incredibly easy, at least through TD. I have a no-fee US account with minimum $100 balance. Every paycheque I transfer money into it to pay for my DVC dues and save for the next trip.

It's also hooked up to paypal. Any purchases in Canada uses Canadian $$ and any thing from the US uses my US account.

Why not use your paypaa account to buy some Gift Cards? I'm pretty sure there was a conversation a month or so ago about this ... Disney sells e-cards that you can pay for with paypal. I would imagine other companies have something similar, just a thought.
Where can I buy Disney cards with a PayPal account? This would be fantastic, as I'm in the same boat. Lots of US PayPal, and can't figure out how to use it towards paying for Disney.

Where can I buy Disney cards with a PayPal account? This would be fantastic, as I'm in the same boat. Lots of US PayPal, and can't figure out how to use it towards paying for Disney.
i did some research for you so i could give a close to an accurate answer as possible (don't like sharing information that isn't 100% true so forgive me if this ends up being misleading)

There is 100% an option to buy eCards using PayPal that is a US account but it screamed at me that you need a US address to use this method. SO i checked off the address i have saved for my US Dis-er friend who is my middleman when it comes to shipping problems and it appeared to be happy. I wasn't able to go any further though because then PAYPAL was yelling at me because i don't have a US account. SO i would imagine if you have those 2 things you *should* be good to go. Since it's not actually getting delivered anywhere just pick any address that is in the states.

Disney Gift Card site
Scroll down and choose Send an eGift. Have a go and see if you can make this work for you. You can even use this to pay for your stay if you call!
upload_2017-7-12_12-19-14.png

This is exactly what I do, and it IS incredibly easy, at least through TD. I have a no-fee US account with minimum $100 balance. Every paycheque I transfer money into it to pay for my DVC dues and save for the next trip.

It's also hooked up to paypal. Any purchases in Canada uses Canadian $$ and any thing from the US uses my US account.
I would love to see how you managed that.
I have been going around and around in circles for over a month. I have a TD no fee us account(physically based in the US) There they call it TD The Worlds most convenient bank (haha). Paypal will not allow me to add this bank account.
Called....they have no idea why....bank doesn't know. So very FRUSTRATING !! Rented points and paid in US $, but can't spend those US dollars on anything.

I have been going around and around in circles for over a month. I have a TD no fee us account(physically based in the US) There they call it TD The Worlds most convenient bank (haha). Paypal will not allow me to add this bank account.
Called....they have no idea why....bank doesn't know. So very FRUSTRATING !! Rented points and paid in US $, but can't spend those US dollars on anything.
I recently closed my account but I had an account with RBC Bank (the US based arm of RBC) and had my account linked to it. No problem send US funds to it.

I wish I could help. I just registered the bank with paypal and it worked fine.

I have the chequing account that's free with $100 minimum balance, or something like that. What part are you stuck on?

I think RBC at one point had an option to link Canadian Based US account to Paypal but it seems to have ended. What has happened here is that Paypal changed their internal processes to comply with tighter anti money laundering rules. They eliminated the cheque option which was the best way for Canadians to get their US dollars out of paypal. As posters have said, it is entirely possible to have a US bank give you a US account and then link to Paypal, however its not straightforward. Due to FATCA they are increasingly scrutinizing citizenship/residency - same as in Canada, because the CRA sends US persons data to the IRS under an agreement. It has created a lot of red tape. Possible - yes, but much harder than before. The electronic monetary system is tightening up - borders mean more and more in the system

I wish I could help. I just registered the bank with paypal and it worked fine.

I have the chequing account that's free with $100 minimum balance, or something like that. What part are you stuck on?
I have a US $ cross boarder account, AND a US based TD account_physically based in Boston. Trying to link the account to Paypal I just get an error message. As I have read in other forums, Paypal is no help, the bank is no help. I could use that US $$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!