PDD/Autism discussion board

thumpersfriend said:
SueM in MN- after she starts preschool at 3 and is going 4 days a week do they have more speech therapists there to help her or do you think we will have to continue with private therapists? Thanks.
That is something to discuss in her IEP meeting (Individual Education Plan). The preschool Early Childhood programs do have speech working with them. Whether they do individual or group therapy depends on what is in the IEPs of the students and how much speech therapy time the school has.
For little kids, the therapy has to be fun -like playing games and groups sometimes work well for that. For older kids (who maybe know they can't pronounce R for example, it can be more direct "work".
Asking for what she needs is one of the things to think about to prepare for an IEP meeting.

My son's IEP allows for speech therapy 2 times a week. We don't have to pay a dime either. Make sure when your dgd has her IEP, that the parents are clear that they want speech therapy. Sometimes the school district will not voluntarily offer services. For example, I didn't know about ocupational therapy until another parent mentioned it to me. Then I had to ask about it and ask for an evaluation during the IEP. I had to push for it to. But ds was evaluated and the oc. therapist said he would definitely benefit from the therapy. So, you see how important it is to know what services are offered. The best way to find out is from other parents. The school district will probably be tight-lipped about what is available.

taximomfor4 said:
Two questions:
My 7yo dd, already mentioned her many times on this board...Sensory Integration Dysfunction, gross + fine motor delay, poor motor planning, balance issues but VERY intelligent and verbal -- every time we get her anywhere where there is activity going on...stores, restaurants, ANYWHERE -- she picks her fingernail. Nonstop. The same nail. Even while doing what she needs to (walking, moving up in line, ordering her dinner, etc). Is this common? I know we are not doctors here, but wondering if this is usually part of SID (like self-soothing or re-focusing) or something else needs to be looked at.

My 5yo ds, similarly, has for about 2 yrs now CONSTANTLY pulled at the neckline of his shirts. It sounds funny, I know. And we used to think it bothered him (tags or something) but it is EVERY shirt. He can be totally over-engrossed in a video game, but crash his guy while pulling the neckline again. He completely warps his shirts. He does this with every material, every size, every shape shirt. Ped didn't listen at all when I first mentioned it about a month after it started...said 3yo's often do repetitive behaviors. I am just starting to think maybe it should have worn off a bit by 5 1/2 yrs old? He, too, is apparently quite intelligent (though his preschool teacher is a bit worried because his mind drifts off into way-distant tangents and he misses information). He is very verbal, actually never shuts up...pronounces many letters wrong (most consonents are W's) but nobody is worried about that till age 8.

Anyone have any insight for me?

Beth

Not a doctor of course, but it just sounds like some mild obsessive compulsive types of behaviors. My little one used to cross and uncross his fingers constantly. I think unfortunately sometimes making a big deal out of trying to stop the behavior just makes it worse,. it is as if just them thinking about trying NOT to do it, makes them do it even more, as long as what they are doing is not interfering with every day life/activities, I would not worry too much.

kdtwiss said:
Not a doctor of course, but it just sounds like some mild obsessive compulsive types of behaviors. My little one used to cross and uncross his fingers constantly. I think unfortunately sometimes making a big deal out of trying to stop the behavior just makes it worse,. it is as if just them thinking about trying NOT to do it, makes them do it even more, as long as what they are doing is not interfering with every day life/activities, I would not worry too much.

Thanks for the reassurance! We never say a word to my dd7... she has always had SID and anything that might help her cope (if it doesn't disturb others) is ok by us, just worried a little that the SID diagnosis is missing something. With DS5, we have asked him why he does it (long time ago...dont' even ask anymore). He doesn't know why, just told us his shirt keeps bothering him. Ped assured us that normal 3 yo's get into strange repetitive behaviors and it would only last a couple months. Two yrs later, we are a tad worried that we might be overlooking something, being so focused all the time on dd7.

Thanks, DISers, once again, for listening!
Beth

I haven't read all the posts yet but just couldn't wait to jump in. My son loves to be brushed. You can buy brushes in any disability catalog. I only have to do it for a few minutes but it's a real comfort thing for him.

I don't know if anyone has answered this but ABA is Applied Behavioral Approach and is a form of therapy. Like someone else said every autistic kid is different so that therapy plus a combined with floortime really worked for my son. As for speech therapy well he REALLY talks now, we can't get him to stop!!! OK I promise I'm going back to read all the threads now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter