Peace Out Delco! Trip Report- AKL/MNSSHP/Gatorland August '18!!! - UPDATED 09/08/2018

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
***SEE END OF POST FOR TABLE OF CONTENTS***

Hello,

My name is Spencer and this is my first trip report! I was going to do this somewhat ‘live’ but then realized how much work it is! We are headed to Walt Disney World (WDW) from August 16th-26th and could not be more excited.

If no one minds I thought I was post the couple of items pre-trip to help with an especially difficult countdown!

20841836_1665043163567441_3466679256446876359_n.jpg

I live in Ridley Township, Delaware County, PA (Delco), right outside of Philadelphia, and work in the insurance industry in Center City Philadelphia. My WDW favorites are listed below:

Favorite Park: Animal Kingdom

Favorite Resort: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Favorite TS/Buffet: Ohana

Favorite ‘Land’: MK Adventure land

Some favorite attractions: FOP, Splash Mountain, Swiss Family Robinson Tree house

Favorite QS: Flame Tree BBQ

Some honorable mentions include:

Park: Epcot

Resort: Beach Club

TS/Buffet: Cape May Café

‘Land’: Epcot Future World

Attractions: Spaceship Earth, Figment, Nemo and Friends

QS: Columbia Harbor House

So on to our trip, the cast includes myself (28), my sister (24), and my mother (all of us pictured below):

30167231_1974922502579504_6379422899748719345_o.jpg

20915616_1665818663489891_8998750360163490585_n.jpg

21077498_1669764139762010_7975252845828757472_n.jpg

We are staying at AKL, arriving on August 16th and leaving on August 26th. We are experienced WDW travelers, with this being my 9th or 10th trip! I looked at how some Trip Reports are structured, and decided I’ll talk about our likes, dislikes, and traveling style in the post where I lay out our schedule (see TABLE OF CONTENTS).

This year we are all especially ready!! My mother has been working as floor Nurse full-time while going to the University of Pennsylvania full-time. My sister has been going to Penn State and working at a daycare both full-time.

While I’ve only been working full-time and not going to school, my employer’s senior leadership has changed in the past year, with massive changes, and a lot of services being delegated to an outside vendor (also known as outsourcing). I was however able to wrangle a promotion out of the chaos! Therefore, I think the three of us are going to simply collapse upon walking into the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby.

AKL is probably our favorite place on property and we could not be more excited to stay there.

We of course have ADR’s and FP’s booked and general plan of how we wish to go about the trip.

Something new, is that we are going to try Gatorland on the 17th and MNSSHP on the 24th. This will be our second MNSSHP!

21077445_1673275029410921_744511781740792943_n.jpg

21078848_1671697726235318_5441079148264343166_n.jpg

We like to do a good bit of planning but are willing to be flexible!

We tend to have very attraction heavy trips and are absolutely Rope Drop people. This may be tempered somewhat this trip; as we want to see more of the parks at night; but are often too worn out to be out too late. Our goal is to maybe slow down somewhat, so we do enjoy a lot of details which may otherwise be overlooked.

To be clear, were not terrible with rushing around. But we might try the Pirates Adventure Game in MK or do some of the shows in order to enjoy things at a somewhat slower pace.

21034305_1673275046077586_1529398244294586813_n.jpg

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Planning!!
Packing and Preparations!!

Departure and Arrival!!
Room and Falling in Love with Disney Springs!!
First Day... Gatorland/Boma/Epcot!!
And Away We Go!! 1st Magic Kingdom Day/ Olivia's/ Epcot (Part 1)

And Away We Go!! 1st Magic Kingdom Day / Olivia’s/ Epcot (Part 2)
Pandora/ Grand Floridian/ and Space Mountain with the lights on!! (Part 1)
Pandora/ Grand Floridian/ and Space Mountain with the lights on!! (Part 2)
Water Park Day / Cape May Café/ Epcot!! (Part 1)
Water Park Day / Cape May Café/ Epcot!! (Part 2)
Flight of Passage/ Flame Tree BBQ / Sanaa!! (Part 1)

Flight of Passage/ Flame Tree BBQ / Sanaa!! (Part 2)
Toy Story Land/ Ohana/ Magic Kingdom/ Double Extra Magic Hour Day!! (Part 1)
Toy Story Land/ Ohana/ Magic Kingdom/ Double Extra Magic Hour Day!! (Part 2)
More Magic Kingdom / Fort Wilderness/ and a Most Disappointing Glass of Wine (Part 1)

Last edited:
Planning!!

We of course began planning this trip shortly after our last August trip. I do have a Pre-Trip Report where I go into the details of our planning.

The long and short of it is, we thought about staying at the Beach Club but it was too much money, so we switched back to AKL for a 4th stay. We absolutely love AK and AKL so I am happy with this decision.

We normally get a pool view which is not the case this year, (in order to get the %25.00 discount). This is a bit of a bummer, but it was too big a savings to turn down.

Generally, as indicated above we love AKL and AK, but also love Epcot and the World Showcase. We of course love MK and Studios, but Studios has been a park of diminished stature. Also, MK is a good stretch from AKL (my only problem with AKL), and therefore we tend to visit it a little less.

My mother is a Nurse in a pretty intense setting, so she is content enjoying the stores, sitting soaking up the atmosphere of places, and doing a small number of attractions. I work at an Insurance company and am sitting most of the day so I basically go at full throttle from start to finish. My sister works as a Daycare Teacher and is somewhere in the middle, but all-in-all as a group it works out!

20994401_1672001042871653_7729164815694807768_n.jpg

Below, I’ll put each day with the general outline of our plans, and the ADR and FP’s; and then below put a couple little notes on what we like, do not care for, and possibly why we made the plan we did (in italics). Afternoon pool breaks should be assumed.

August 16th:

Scheduled to Land Approximately 9:30 and then DME to AKL!!

Unpack, Pool, Ect.

Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ Dinner ADR

Perhaps enjoy Disney Spring’s

This is a relaxing day of course, but I also did not want to sitting around the resort all day (as much as we love it).

August 17th:

Gatorland!

Boma ADR

I wanted to try something different in FL, and from the small sample of people who I know who have gone, it comes highly recommended.

21032470_1673275049410919_7924098231905150925_n.jpg

August 18th:

Magic Kingdom

FP’s: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise

Olivia’s (OKW) ADR

As you will see, we are not adventurous with ADR’s, but thought we would try something new. This is a day where we will definitely using Minnie Van/ Lyft once, if not twice.

August 19th:

Animal Kingdom

FP’s: Expedition Everest, Na’vi River Journey, Kali River Rapids

Grand Floridian Café ADR

We absolutely love AK and cannot get enough of Pandora. This will be our first time eating at Grand Floridian Cafe.

August 20th:

Water Park

Cape May Café ADR

Epcot at night (FP: Test Track, Spaceship Earth)

I was thinking about not doing water parks at all but was overruled. While they are amazing places, I find the experience somewhat uncomfortable. I do not like not having my glasses on or valuables on my person. Also, the two-bus thing is a rant I do not even want to begin to get into.

20992883_1666932546711836_1065867606245261271_n.jpg

August 21st:

Animal Kingdom

FP: Kilimanjaro Safari, FOP, Rivers of Light

Sanaa ADR

We love either Pizzafari or Flame Tree BBQ for lunch, so whatever is not done earlier in the week will probably be done this time. This will be my first time seeing Pandora at night and Rivers of Light For as much as I love AK, I have never been there at night!

21077775_1672001082871649_7556413241253131862_n.jpg

August 22nd:

Hollywood Studios

FP: Slinky Dog Dash, Roller Coaster, Star Tours

Ohana ADR

Whether to visit Studios at all was discussed. Last trip we went for one morning and enjoyed it, but that was it. There are EMH with the park opening at 7am, so we know what that does to crowds! Ohana is a family favorite, and depending on crowds, we either go to MK or Epcot afterward.

August 23rd:

Magic Kingdom

FP: Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates

Cape May Café ADR

We like to take usually one morning and do attractions that are often overlooked, or at least are not subject to an initial rush. This includes The Little Mermaid Attraction, People Mover, and Swiss Family Treehouse. The Swiss Family Treehouse is one of my favorite attractions and I absolutely love it. It doesn’t involve a trendy FP or a lot of Instagram hits, but thinking about it gives me chills!!

August 24th:

Disney Springs

Epcot: Soarin and Spaceship Earth FP

Edison Lunch ADR

MNSSHP!!!!!

We may do either Disney Springs or Epcot during the day. My sister and I much prefer the parks, but my mother loves Disney Springs. As a sort of compromise, we scheduled a couple of FP at Epcot in case we decide to go there instead.

MNSSHP left me with mixed feelings last year, as I thought the immersion in Halloween was somewhat underwhelming and the park was PACKED. Also, it was BOILING outside!! However, after 10pm the park emptied, and we had a great time. I think it will be a great time!

21032327_1671697812901976_2954288848111426964_n.jpg

August 25th:

Animal Kingdom: FOP, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Dinosaur FP

Boma ADR

August 26th:

Flying out at about 11am. I don’t want to talk about it!!!

Packing and Preparations!!

So now the countdown is almost complete. The packing for myself has begun, which to my mother and sister’s frustration is quite easy for a man!

As you can see I have a few helpers who I think may want to come along.

20882005_1664515066953584_3221206573022158534_n.jpg

18838876_10212588379925328_7735491497487823698_n.jpg

I won’t bore anyone with a catalog of what I am bringing, but the one special items of interest is my ‘Minnie Van’ fund!

During last year’s trip, I found the waiting for the busses and transit very annoying. This was especially true in the evenings when we take two buses for some ADR’s and like to leave early ‘just in case’. Therefore, throughout this year, I have scrimped and saved little bits of money, such as cash back, cashing in coins, ect., and saved up $504!

(This is my one exception to breaking my ‘never discuss specific money figures on the boards’ rule)

So, while I do not plan on using it all of the time, this will fund the use of Lyft or Minnie Vans, to make things much quicker and easier. As this fund got bigger, I have also allocated funds for souvenirs and Gatorland admission with the hope this fund will either cover an appreciable portion, if not all of these expenses.

For my trip reading I have selected a biography of George Cukor (prominent Director in old Hollywood), and The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.

One problem is that I get EXTREMELY anxious in the airport but have gotten better. However, I am hoping the airport should be relatively calm with an early flight time. We are flying on American Airlines, with a scheduled departure of 7:00am, so hopefully the early time will help negate possible issues and keep me calm. Positive pixie dust would be appreciated!

The next step is to have my last day of work on the 14th, and my sister will be heading to my house!! My mother hates to fly and is a Floor Nurse. Therefore, she can make her schedule to avoid missing extra days of work and will be taking Amtrak with a sleeper car.

Last edited:

Jumping on board this train. Saw you were from Delco (I'm from MontCo) so that grabbed my attention! We are heading down in Nov and are also staying at AKL! I will be looking forward to reading your reviews about that (but it sounds like you love it!) and seeing your photos!

What makes you anxious? The flight or airport? South Jersey here.

Something about the airport makes me very anxious. I think its the possibility of problems and how people can behave. Really, I have no idea why, but I'm hoping with an early flight there should be no problems.

Jumping on board this train. Saw you were from Delco (I'm from MontCo) so that grabbed my attention! We are heading down in Nov and are also staying at AKL! I will be looking forward to reading your reviews about that (but it sounds like you love it!) and seeing your photos!

I saw in your report you have not been to Disney Springs for a while! I shall be sure to get some pictures of that. I did not go last year, in my opinion I can just go to KOP mall; but my mother loves it so it was a compromise.

Hi Spencer. Your plans sound like a lot of fun! Our trips will overlap, as we will be there from the 18-23. Hope you have a magical time!

AK is my favorite park,too. You have a great trip planned. Have a magical time!

Looks like a great time!!! Excited to read about it:)

Looking forward to your report!

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time! excited to follow along on your TR!

Your trip is so close to mine that I look forward to your report!

Fellow Ridley Township dweller following

I appreciate everyone's interest!!

Something about the airport makes me very anxious. I think its the possibility of problems and how people can behave. Really, I have no idea why, but I'm hoping with an early flight there should be no problems.
We will be at WDW on Monday. Staying for 7 nights at Grand Floridian and 1 night at Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek. We also have MNSSHP tickets for the 24th.

Looking fwd to your report. Im from South Jersey and work in Center City also. We are DVC members and own at Animal Kingdom Jambo and OKW. We are headed down 8-30 and staying at the Polynesian then headed to Disneyland in Oct for 2 weeks at Grand Cali doing Mickeys Halloween Party there. Your Halloween pics have me super stoked!!!

Looking fwd to your report. Im from South Jersey and work in Center City also. We are DVC members and own at Animal Kingdom Jambo and OKW. We are headed down 8-30 and staying at the Polynesian then headed to Disneyland in Oct for 2 weeks at Grand Cali doing Mickeys Halloween Party there. Your Halloween pics have me super stoked!!!

A lot going on!! Its a really cool event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!