Peanut allergy

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
I know i am a adult so i get yo roll my eyes but i am very picky in the meat department so my mom is concerned about me getting enough protein so easy enough she thinks of peanutbutter for me i told her there is a person who is allergic at the gym so i eat sunbutter instead

Long story short how do i convince my mom that there are some that have such a serve allergy that if its on your breath it can send them to the ER

There has to be a happy medium i mean i love chicken and steak two hood sources of protein right there

Are you looking for lunch ideas? DD isn’t much into sandwiches so I get the whole “how to pack protein” bit. DD also loves chicken and steak, so I will often chop up leftover meat into pasta salad, maybe chop and toss in some cheese and or broccoli as well. Another option is a protein bar with a yogurt - but many bars have nuts so you have to shop carefully if you want to avoid the ones with peanuts (one of her faves is Kellogg’s strawberry meal bars because she avoids all nuts). Chicken salad sandwich might work for you. Leftover meat can be sliced or chopped and added to a garden or Caesar salad also. Eggs are a good protein source as well, so a hard boiled egg with crackers and cheese and veggie sticks is another good lunch. Or an egg salad sandwich.

enjoy!

First of all, thank you! You are so sweet to be concerned and careful. My son, who is now 26, is peanut allergic so I have 25 years of experience with this. I honestly would not be too concerned about your own peanut consumption unless you are eating immediately before direct contact with this person. As long as you aren't kissing them, washing your hands with soap and drinking some water to rinse your mouth and/or brushing your teeth should really be all you need to be concerned about.

My home was nut free for many years, but now that my son lives elsewhere I enjoy having peanut butter in my home. I will always be watchful of peanut residue and cross contamination issues, but I enjoy it with no guilt.

Last edited:
Stay away from the peanut-allergic person, or
Go to the gym at different times from them, or
Wash your hands before using equipment, or
Wipe down any equipment you use, or
Don't breathe on them, or
Expect this adult gym member to take some, if not all, responsibility.

Or any combination of the above.

https://www.allergicliving.com/experts/can-i-react-to-the-smellof-peanutnuts/"The smell of peanut/nuts or peanut butter does not come from the peanut protein, and therefore allergic reactions should not occur just because you smell peanut or because there is an open jar of peanut butter in the area."

First of all, thank you! You are so sweet to be concerned and careful. My son, who is now 26, is peanut allergic so I have 25 years of experience with this. I honestly would not be too concerned about your own peanut consumption unless you are eating immediately before direct contact with this person. As long as you aren't kissing them, washing your hands with soap and drinking some water to rinse your mouth and/or brushing your teeth should really be all you need to be concerned about.

My home was nut free for many years, but now that my son lives elsewhere I enjoy having peanut butter in my home. I will always be watchful of peanut residue and cross contamination issues, but I enjoy it with no guilt.

Same! I think it was first purchase when the DD left of college last year. I keep it in the pantry in a zip lock bag and only use a plastic knife with it.

To the OP - I agree with everything @disykat said.

As a mom of a now 19 year old DD with severe peanut allergy I concur with Disykat. I would not worry about your breath. Eat and then wash your hands and you are good to go... unless you are kissing people at the gym. Hey... no judgement here. :love2:

Soooo many other (healthier) sources of protein than peanut butter - eggs, chickpeas, tofu, lentils, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, oats and oatmeal, milk... the list goes on. There's a good chance you're already getting enough protein in your diet as it is. Protein deficiencies are uncommon. Someone eating an entirely vegetarian diet is more likely to have deficiencies in B12, iron, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin D.

Like others have said, it's sweet that you are worried about the other gym member with the allergy, but you should be fine to eat a peanut butter sandwich and still go the same gym as that person. I am a teacher and our assistant principal has a peanut allergy, but we aren't a peanut free school - she just knows to not eat anything with peanuts.

To the pp its a class bassed gym you sign up on a app and only you know if you are signed up it does not say who else is signed up

How did you find out about the allergy? Did the person tell you or did the gym inform you?

As others have said, you don' really need to avoid PB altogether, there are things you can do before you go to the gym to prevent contaminating anything at the gym.
For the issue with your mom, there are so many ways to get protein in your diet that don't include PB that she shouldn't be worried. You can google what veggies contain protein- it's a big list so even if you are having a couple meatless meals a week you can still get plenty of protein.
I personally love PB as a protein source- all natural not the ones that contain sugar or HFCS. I can't have other butters in my house because my ds is allergic to tree nuts and sunflower seeds.

How did you find out about the allergy? Did the person tell you or did the gym inform you?

As others have said, you don' really need to avoid PB altogether, there are things you can do before you go to the gym to prevent contaminating anything at the gym.
For the issue with your mom, there are so many ways to get protein in your diet that don't include PB that she shouldn't be worried. You can google what veggies contain protein- it's a big list so even if you are having a couple meatless meals a week you can still get plenty of protein.
I personally love PB as a protein source- all natural not the ones that contain sugar or HFCS. I can't have other butters in my house because my ds is allergic to tree nuts and sunflower seeds.

She announced it and i love that broccoli has protein that is one of my favorite veggies

Soooo many other (healthier) sources of protein than peanut butter - eggs, chickpeas, tofu, lentils, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, oats and oatmeal, milk
Nah. Most of those need some prep - washing, peeling, cutting, cooking... The only thing easier than (a fingerful) of peanut butter from the jar, is milk from the carton. :D,

Now, seriously, thank you for the list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!