Pearl Harbor and diamond head in same day?

chimommy

Mouseketeer
we have a rental car. Could we go to both in the same day? Which would be better to go to first? does the day of the week matter? Thanks!

@chimommy I'd get on the park service website to get your memorial tickets. If you do that, you can head to Diamond Head early and then Pearl after. Diamond Head was a 2 hour experience for us. Pearl 1/2 to 3/4 day if you do everything.

Beware that parking at Diamond Head gets full early, and you might need to park elsewhere and walk in up the hill and through the tunnel, or get a taxi ride into the crater floor. So if you have Pearl Harbor tickets later in the day, you'll have better luck parking at Diamond Head.

I agree WRT parking, but we were disgustingly sweating after climbing Diamond Head at about 9 am in early June. We grabbed a burger and went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. I would not have wanted to go to Pearl Harbor in our sweaty clothes.

Agree with PPs. Diamond Head is best done early in the morning - both because parking can be a challenge, and also because the trail can get very hot and very crowded the later in the day it gets. We were also sweaty messes in our athletic clothes and sneakers, and would not have wanted to do anything afterward before we showered.

With Pearl Harbor, if you are not able to secure a tour time 60 days in advance online, you really need to get there early to wait in the standby line. And you want to be towards the front of the line so you don't have hours to kill before your tour time.

Because of the logistical issues, we did them on separate days - both in the morning. We were done with both by 11am.

You can but it depends on how you do with lines. We go first thing usually first or second day of our trip because the time change gets you up early. Start while still dark 6:30 drive to diamond head. The sun will be coming up on your hike and it will be plenty light to navigate. Then drive to Pearl Harbor and get your tickets. If you aren’t there first thing you may get a 9:30-10:00 start time but you can grab something to eat at their snack shop. Pearl Harbor is going to take you longer, if you go there first then Diamond Head will be hot and crowded and you’ll be hiking at midday.

If you aren’t there first thing you may get a 9:30-10:00 start time

Perhaps its different now, but from what I remember, if you aren't lined up at Pearl Harbor when it opens, you run the risk that all their tour times will fill up. Or you run the risk of having a late afternoon tour time which means you'd have several hours to kill. Parking can also be a challenge if arrive later in the morning.

Yes you can do them on the same day but I highly recommend separate days. You will be hot, sweaty and need a bath and FOOD after Diamond Head. So unless you get their at the crack of dawn and have time to run back to hotel and bath and then go to Pearl Harbor you might want to consider doing them on separate days.

If you are not a hiker and are not reasonably fit Diamond Head is quite the encounter. It's not a quick 30 minute hike on a flat trail. It's a nice hike and consist of stairs, more stairs and more stairs. It's not for the faint of heart. We saw so many turn around before reaching the top. It's quite a view when you make it to the top but be prepared for a "real" hike.

If you are not a hiker and are not reasonably fit Diamond Head is quite the encounter. It's not a quick 30 minute hike on a flat trail. It's a nice hike and consist of stairs, more stairs and more stairs. It's not for the faint of heart. We saw so many turn around before reaching the top. It's quite a view when you make it to the top but be prepared for a "real" hike.

This, exactly. We are two average size 30 somethings, not hikers, and we really underestimated it. We made it to the top but it was more of a challenge than I was anticipating, especially because its such a big tourist stop. When we got there, we saw children, older people, people wearing shoes other than sneakers/hiking shoes. We were surprised that it was more difficult than we were anticipating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter