Peloton Ad

I think it must be nice to have nothing more pressing in one’s life so that one has the luxury of being outraged by an ad on TV for an exercise bike.

And yes, I’m being dismissive of everyone who is outraged about this. Their outrage would be more useful being directed at human trafficking, veterans homelessness, child abuse, animal abuse or the myriad of other true issues that impact our world today.

I think it must be nice to have nothing more pressing in one’s life so that one has the luxury of commenting to those being outraged by an ad on TV for an exercise bike.

Glad you could take some time from being on the forums for human trafficking, veterans homelessness, child abuse, animal abuse or the myriad of other true issues that impact our world today.

Just kidding. ;)

With 17 years of use it sounds like it was worth the money. The Peloton has an additional $480 a year in the subscription cost, though.
I'm the cheapskate who buys a $90 elliptical off of Amazon. 😄 It's terrible and I hate it, but I did get a few years of use out of it.

That subscription costs less than most good gym memberships (Planet Fitness doesn't count). Not only do you get spin classes, you also get strength training, both with and without weights, yoga, meditation, outdoor run/walk coaching on the app, etc. It's awesome.

Why do they even call it "Peloton"? It's like they don't even know what it means. The word "peloton" is French for a large pack of lead bicycle riders in a race. I guess it's for safety reasons, but when there's a pack in a stage race (i.e. Tour de France), everyone is given the same time as the lead rider in the pack. Someone riding at home on an exercise bike is hardly riding in a pack.

I remember there was a movie about motorcycle street racing called Torque. Pretty stupid title since sport bikes aren't know for torque.

Actually, while we are not literally "riding in a pack" when you ride, whether it's live or on-demand you are always riding with others. You can see everyone you're riding with and interact with them.

:confused: :confused3 I'm 69. Just got in from a 4 hour 70 mile Saturday bicycle ride. Lucky me because the weather is OK to get out instead of having to get on a Peloton like sooo many around the country/world who are experiencing lousy weather or are pressed for time due to family and/or job.

BTW, just saw the Aviation Gin commercial with Peloton Girl. Way to go Ryan.

Wow. 17.5 mph for 4 hours. That is faster than most 25 year olds could do. Congrats.

Wow. 17.5 mph for 4 hours. That is faster than most 25 year olds could do. Congrats.

Depends on the terrain. If it was flat and done in a paceline it was easy.

What I found crazy was doing sprints. We were going for all out speed and the highest I got on level pavement was 38 MPH. I remember Greg Lemond averaged that in his 1989 time trial finish that won him the Tour de France.

I see nothing wrong with the ad. I would want one myself to stay in shape. The bike, treadmill and rower and I wouldnt need the gym any longer.

If you've seen a lot of the comments, people have issue with them casting an already thin woman when it's exercise equipment. There's nothing wrong with her, as a person, but as someone who IS overweight, it comes across as them not wanting to appeal to customers who might want to use the machine to lose weight. Which, maybe they are okay with that! I personally would have had less issue with the ad if the person featured in it was easier for me to identify with, and I'm sure that's the case for others as well (note how a lot of the jokes about the ad are people saying "oh man, starting my tough life-changing journey to go from 115 to 112, pray for me!").

But again, they are JOKES about an AD about a FICTIONAL person for an OVER-PRICED piece of workout equipment.

Yeah, but you cannot please everyone. I identified with the ad. I see the woman as asking for it to stay in shape. If it were a heavier woman, I would have also understood the ad and moved on.

I dont see it as overpriced either although it would be great if less expensive. Some people rather do their workout at home rather than paying for a gym membership.

If I could have the Peloton bike and treadmill and a rower, along with my free weights, I wouldnt need to go to the gym could just workout at home.

Last edited:
I"m still mad about plastic straws, the lack of them that is. And lids. Dang it Disney! The paper straws fall apart before I'm finished with my drink!
I'm right there w/you about the plastic straw thing. They're still legal where I live, so if anybody needs some, I'm happy to mail you some black market straws. LOL

I am totally not their target market, but all of the hub bub over the ad got me to look it up and now I know what in the world a Peloton is. About 15 yr ago, DH & I bought a gym-quality elliptical machine and a gigantic weight machine system thing. And for 13 yr, those 2 things were in our MASTER BEDROOM! We regularly argued and bickered over it. For 13 yr, my master bedroom felt like half bedroom, half gym. We hardly ever used them. About once a year, we'd have an epic disagreement about it and DH would use the weight machine for 5 min.

Then we put that house on the market and finally sold the 2 world's most expensive clothes hangers and I was one of the happiest women alive. In our current neighborhood, there's a clubhouse with a gym. We've lived here a year and DH hasn't gone to the gym yet. LOL.

We will not be Peleton'ing any time soon. :rotfl2:

I'm right there w/you about the plastic straw thing. They're still legal where I live, so if anybody needs some, I'm happy to mail you some black market straws. LOL

The agave straws they have at La Cava in Epcot were pretty good. They didn't fall apart or get mushy like the paper ones.

I finally got around to watching the ad.....and WOW do people have too much free time on their hands to complain about this.

Of course there's another conspiracy theory I'm coming up with that maybe people are purposely doing these bashing campaigns specifically to drive a stock price down.....:scratchin

I"m still mad about plastic straws, the lack of them that is. And lids. Dang it Disney! The paper straws fall apart before I'm finished with my drink!

One of the restaurants I go to uses corn based straws that naturally decompose. And they work great. Disney should use these.

The Peloton actress has been found. TMZ found out her name and staked out her house until they could talk to her returning home from walking her dog. :eek: But, she handled it with grace, saying she feels really lucky, people have been nice to her. (Probably referring to Ryan & his people,) and she's grateful. When asked about if she saw the 2 bits Saturday Night Live, did about the commercial, she said she thought it was hilarious.

Contrast that to the interview TMZ did with her male co-star, and he's just as whiny & complaining as he was in the PsychologyToday.com interview. :rolleyes: He's a teacher. He could have modeled for his students how someone takes the high road when under pressure from social media. And he could have acted like he was trying to let it all roll off, like he's a cool guy, so that any director or producer watching that interview would have said, "He's a guy I'd be interested in working with. Let's call him in!" Not! He also complained that Peloton didn't give him a Peloton. . . Yet he was seen at a Peloton store on Sat afternoon, before the SNL skit. TMZ is wondering if Peloton didn't pay him to show up at that store. :rolleyes1

Here are the 2 interviews on TMZ: (Plus the bit on SNL.)

https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/09/peloton-wife-monica-ruiz-nice-lucky-snl-joke-hilarious/

One of the restaurants I go to uses corn based straws that naturally decompose. And they work great. Disney should use these.

A few cities around here have required paper straws and they almost immediately turn to mush. I've used paper straws in other countries, they were typically waxed so they didn't just fall apart.

For some reason I've seen ads for a company selling a collapsible metal straw called "Final Straw". Seems like overkill, where it comes in a case along with a cleaning brush like the ones I used to clean baby bottles. Also comes in a variety of anodized colors.

Purple_Rainbow_CrossCut_540x.png

There are other makers of reusable metal straws.

Wow, this is all wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't even know where to start. I almost think you're just trolling. And, FYI, the number on the scale is not a good indicator of health...
There have been studies on this & my own primary care told me this too. Pp said weight loss not health. Exercise is good for health, but caloric intake is much more important for weight loss.

There have been studies on this & my own primary care told me this too. Pp said weight loss not health. Exercise is good for health, but caloric intake is much more important for weight loss.

As someone who has lost and found lots of pounds, I can truly say this is “sort of” true.

One can lose weight to a point without exercise. But when one hits a plateau, something to burn calories is going to become necessary.

Some people can lose weight with only exercise—those people that don’t change the way they eat at all so do not increase their calories. I am not one of those people sadly.

Losing weight comes from burning more calories than you take in. For a whole bunch of us, that is going to mean adding activity of some sort. Take me for instance, I sit at a desk all day. Not many calories burned there. Do I have to go to a gym and do a whole complicated work out? Not really. I can walk. But not just to my car lol. Like at a track or on a treadmill.

And the other part of that is that most people have trouble spots they want to get smaller or defined or whatever. Their stomach or arms or hips or whatever. That is going to take working out.

That doesn’t mean anyone “needs” a peloton or any other expensive piece of equipment or even a gym to lose weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter