Peloton Ad

I’m pretty sure she says something like “I’ve wanted this forever.” My DH and kids bought me a snazzy workout bench for Mother’s Day a couple years ago. My DH knew I wanted it but he also knew I would never buy it for myself. That’s how I’ve taken this commercial from the beginning. She’s also blogging her experience with it which conveys to me again, it’s something she wanted.

I don't remember anything in the ad that clearly implied that she wanted it. I'm at work or I'd watch it again. If she did want it, then I have no issues with the commercial. A husband randomly gifting his wife a $2000+ exercise bike would be side-eye worthy.

Right, it would be just terrible to see some 170lb woman in the ad instead of this fit lady, they'd have to put a disclaimer in front of it so people could turn away or something.
No people would turn it into what they’re doing now only amplified because she would be heavier. “What’s wrong with being a normal weight?” “We shouldn’t be told to lose weight.” etc. etc. And if people made “jokes” about her going from 170 to 168 there would be absolute OUTRAGE. It seems to be okay to make fun of a thin person or make snarky remarks but it would never fly for a heavier person.

I don't remember anything in the ad that clearly implied that she wanted it. I'm at work or I'd watch it again. If she did want it, then I have no issues with the commercial. A husband randomly gifting his wife a $2000+ exercise bike would be side-eye worthy.

She does say it. She says it in the video that she is making of the year on the thing.

As for your last sentence, yeah, it would be terrible if a husband knew his wife so well that he actually bought her a exercise bike because he knew she would love it. I mean that would just be a shame.

My husband once gave me a Black & Decker tub scrubber for Christmas. My friends and family thought that was a terrible gift. The man gave me exactly what I wanted - I loved that gift (and I was glad I didn't buy it because it didn't work). If that girl wants a Peloton then I say give it to her - she obviously wants it.

My husband once gave me a Black & Decker tub scrubber for Christmas. My friends and family thought that was a terrible gift. The man gave me exactly what I wanted - I loved that gift (and I was glad I didn't buy it because it didn't work). If that girl wants a Peloton then I say give it to her - she obviously wants it.

I bought my wife a vacuum for her b-day (well, part of her present), because she was very clear that's what she wanted...she even put the ad on my work desk. Truthfully, I vacuum as much as she does, so we both use it...we have 3 dogs, vacuuming is a must.

As for your last sentence, yeah, it would be terrible if a husband knew his wife so well that he actually bought her a exercise bike because he knew she would love it. I mean that would just be a shame.

I said if she wanted it it's fine. If she didn't express to her husband that she wanted it she'd probably see it as a criticism of her weight.

She says with excitement “A Peloton! Give it up for a first time rider!” If he’s surprising her and she’s excited that conveys *to me* she wanted it. I don’t know I think people are coming at this with their own personal bias, myself included.

It's almost like people can interpret things differently! I'd rather listen to someone explain why they feel that way than have people declare that those interpretation are invalid.

There either is or their isn't sexism. Its not an opinion. Its not sexism.

Watched the ad - thought it was dumb, wasn't offended but it didn't spark any interest in the product, which I assume it was intended for - unless really they were just going for making a wave and getting talked about in general, in which case they succeeded.

I think lots of ads are dumb though and poorly thought out for their intended receipients.

No people would turn it into what they’re doing now only amplified because she would be heavier. “What’s wrong with being a normal weight?” “We shouldn’t be told to lose weight.” etc. etc. And if people made “jokes” about her going from 170 to 168 there would be absolute OUTRAGE. It seems to be okay to make fun of a thin person or make snarky remarks but it would never fly for a heavier person.

I'm certainly not making fun of the person, just enjoying the schaudenfreude of a high end company literally losing business because their marketing department could have done better.

I said if she wanted it it's fine. If she didn't express to her husband that she wanted it she'd probably see it as a criticism of her weight.

But my point is if he knows his wife so well that he knew she would love this thing, that is not a bad thing. And perhaps she has a good self esteem and doesn't take it as a criticism at all.

There either is or their isn't sexism. Its not an opinion. Its not sexism.
Someone needs to go to remedial "what is sexism" class.

I do agree that the commerical wife simply could have wanted the thing. The commercial is still odd. (and sexist)

Yeah, I don't see the issue with it either. First of all THIN =/= FIT. It really, really doesn't. Yes, the lady was thin and attractive in the beginning and still thin and attractive in the end, but that does not mean she didn't improve her fitness. Also, even if she was fit, it does take work to stay that way. It isn't just a permanent fact. It will change if you let it, and sometimes even if you don't. I don't understand the uproar.

Personally, their other ad where they claim "it's affordable for everyone" - yeah, that comes across as out of touch. Those things are EXPENSIVE!

If they wanted to do a realistic ad, the should have shown her working out hard on day one, then on day two, then not showing up on day 3, then after a year the machine is buried under a pile of clothes. ;)

Last edited:
Someone needs to go to remedial "what is sexism" class.

I do agree that the commerical wife simply could have wanted the thing. The commercial is still odd. (and sexist)

How? A woman wants a gift. She is given a gift. She makes a video to show the changes in her life over the year with the bike. SHE is proud of HERSELF and the changes she has made. So how is this sexist?

I didn't consider it sexist. I mean, kinda cringey, but not sexist. Then again, I'm a dude, so maybe I was missing something.

I didn't think all that much about it besides the fact that I though the actress looked like Zari (played by Tala Ashe) from Legends of Tomorrow.

So, can somebody clarify? This is a $2,000 bike, with a $40 monthly cost for streaming classes?? Seriously? A gym membership is less, although I guess the point of the bike is you would be more motivated to use it because it's in your home.

Still, that's crazy.

It does make me wish they filmed the daughter opening her gifts as well. An easy bake oven that can fit four cookie sheets! The actual costumes that Elsa and Anna wear at Disney World! A 3BR condo playhouse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!