Peloton Ad

Someone needs to go to remedial "what is sexism" class.

I do agree that the commerical wife simply could have wanted the thing. The commercial is still odd. (and sexist)
How is it sexist? Because a man gave it to his wife? Because an already thin woman gets an exercise bike? Women shouldn’t be perceived as wanting to get in shape? What? How would you feel if the wife was giving it to husband?

I didn't consider it sexist. I mean, kinda cringey, but not sexist. Then again, I'm a dude, so maybe I was missing something.

I didn't think all that much about it besides the fact that I though the actress looked like Zari (played by Tala Ashe) from Legends of Tomorrow.

So, can somebody clarify? This is a $2,000 bike, with a $40 monthly cost for streaming classes?? Seriously? A gym membership is less, although I guess the point of the bike is you would be more motivated to use it because it's in your home.

Still, that's crazy.

And their treadmill is over $4000. :oops:

It's just a crappy commercial that feels creepy the way the actors, well act. I dont think its sexist though. But it is a very bad commercial. Peloton's stock dropped 10% in reaction to it.

The ad itself is somewhat bizarre. The jokes I've heard are that she looks like she's being held captive and is suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Especially the look like she's being forced to do it against her will.

2-1.jpg

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

The ad itself is somewhat bizarre. The jokes I've heard are that she looks like she's being held captive and is suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Especially the look like she's being forced to do it against her will.

2-1.jpg

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

It's just that she's nervous, you know, because if she can't keep up, the bike is going to eat her, or throw through the glass doors into the freshly fallen snow, or worst of all, her husband will think she doesn't appreciate his really expensive gift. She definitely can't just turn it off and get up if for some reason she doesn't like it on any particular day.

I saw a different article. And there was a blurb on Inside Edition. While some people were outraged that a 115 lb woman was given a Peloton & tracked herself for a year for the 5 lbs she lost, it actually went viral, more in a FUNNY way. The actress actually looks terrified in most of her shots. People were poking fun that we are seeing a mini Lifetime movie where she is being abused and the husband is making her lose weight. "Does she need help? And I don't mean with the Peloton!" That she tracked herself via videos to prove to her husband that she actually IS using the Peloton. "See honey, I have been using it for you." :scared: :rotfl:

To me, it was also funny, as I think the actress is the same one who was in a couple Hallmark movies a few years ago. I think it is Katie Findlay, who was in Karen Kingsbury's The Bridge, movies. I thought it was funny as she went from a Hallmark movie to a "Lifetime" abusive husband situation. :lmao:

Here is the article I read:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/peloton-bike-lady-needs-help-someone-please-help-her

Last edited:
So, can somebody clarify? This is a $2,000 bike, with a $40 monthly cost for streaming classes?? Seriously? A gym membership is less, although I guess the point of the bike is you would be more motivated to use it because it's in your home.

Still, that's crazy.
That is my understanding of the cost. Depending on household income of course, but this is generally not a piece of equipment to give to a casual fitness buff and definitely not to someone who currently does not work out but needs to lose some weight. I regard it as something you give to a pretty dedicated fitness enthusiast, or it just becomes a very expensive clothes rack, like @BrianL described.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but what's creepy or odd about it? Like I said, I actually thought it was kinda cute...and I think Peleton items are rips offs. I'm a gym rat, much better investment IMO, and would never buy one.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but what's creepy or odd about it? Like I said, I actually thought it was kinda cute...and I think Peleton items are rips offs. I'm a gym rat, much better investment IMO, and would never buy one.

I've never thought much of gym memberships. I live on a hill and whenever I can I use stairs. I'll go out for a hike. And I haven't used it recently, but I've got several actual bicycles.

Any time I tried working out in a gym it just seemed weird being cooped up indoors.

I agree with those who have said it's a weird ad. The whole thing is just strange, but I'm sure it's something she always wanted. I think, not unlike anything else on the DIS these days ;) , a lot is being read into concerning a 30-second ad.

Some of the Twitter comments about this are pretty hilarious, though. I love the ones commenting (about other Peleton commercials as well) about the staging of the bikes in these ads. One comment was something like "Love putting my Peloton bike in the most striking area of my ultra-modern $3 million house" :rotfl2:

I agree with those who have said it's a weird ad. The whole thing is just strange, but I'm sure it's something she always wanted. I think, not unlike anything else on the DIS these days ;) , a lot is being read into concerning a 30-second ad.

Some of the Twitter comments about this are pretty hilarious, though. I love the ones commenting (about other Peleton commercials as well) about the staging of the bikes in these ads. One comment was something like "Love putting my Peloton bike in the most striking area of my ultra-modern $3 million house" :rotfl2:

Yes their ads are pretty stupid across the board. Seems like a cult to me. :rotfl2:

I've never thought much of gym memberships. I live on a hill and whenever I can I use stairs. I'll go out for a hike. And I haven't used it recently, but I've got several actual bicycles.

Any time I tried working out in a gym it just seemed weird being cooped up indoors.

Cardio is not the same as resistance training.

That always seems kind of weird. I've recently seen re-airing of a particular GMC ad.

First of all, who the heck dresses like that at home like they're ready to go clubbing? Also, that driveway looks spotless. And finally if they can afford a house like that why a GMC Denali and not a Porsche Cayenne?

The most annoying thing about the ad to me is how it ties into the ridiculous "influencer" lifestyle. That's why she's recording everything (and making her "instagram husband" review her videos), and that's why she's nervous, because now she will have to live up to her followers' expectations. Influencers, man, ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter