Peloton Ad

It's a weird ad, no doubt. What is she afraid of? Is the bike sentient or something?!

Also, if they really wanted to ramp up that it can be a life-changing hobby, whether it be for weight loss or getting fit, then they should have casted someone else. It's really hard to buy that someone who is clearly fit and thin would be nervous about introducing a workout routine into their life.

But my guess is that they only want to attract people who would actually spend that kind of money on workout equipment, so what most of us plebs think of it doesn't really matter. Except for the 10% drop in the stock, that is!

Peloton Christmas Ad mocked as sexist

Thoughts? Me? I'd love a Peloton for Christmas so I see no problem with the ad. I'd also take a Lexus. I don't need to pick it out! lol

The "outrage" also overlooks the possibility that it is what she "wanted" for Christmas.
There are people who have to complain about everything.....(sigh)

Exercise equipment (of whatever type) isn't just for losing weight. It's also used to stay in shape.

I find nothing "sexist" about that commercial. If she didn't want to use it, no one's forcing her to. I, also, think she may have asked for it.

Can you hear my eyes rolling? How utterly ridiculous. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the ad. I actually thought it was kind of cute and clever. Our society seems to find no end of things to be offended by, or trot out PC police. Silly.

I’m pretty sure she says something like “I’ve wanted this forever.” My DH and kids bought me a snazzy workout bench for Mother’s Day a couple years ago. My DH knew I wanted it but he also knew I would never buy it for myself. That’s how I’ve taken this commercial from the beginning. She’s also blogging her experience with it which conveys to me again, it’s something she wanted.

It's a weird ad, no doubt. What is she afraid of? Is the bike sentient or something?!

Also, if they really wanted to ramp up that it can be a life-changing hobby, whether it be for weight loss or getting fit, then they should have casted someone else. It's really hard to buy that someone who is clearly fit and thin would be nervous about introducing a workout routine into their life.

But my guess is that they only want to attract people who would actually spend that kind of money on workout equipment, so what most of us plebs think of it doesn't really matter. Except for the 10% drop in the stock, that is!
I agree the whole ad is really odd.

Can you hear my eyes rolling? How utterly ridiculous. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the ad. I actually thought it was kind of cute and clever. Our society seems to find no end of things to be offended by, or trot out PC police. Silly.

I don't think anyone is offended, they just think it's a ridiculous ad.

But this one is circling back around to one of those things where people who see no problem with the thing itself comment on how OTHER people have too many opinions, which is always hilarious.

So the first time I did Jillian Michaels Body Revolution each week when things ramped up and changed I actually did get nervous and said things like “If you don’t hear from me in an hour call 911.” I was relatively thin and in shape but it absolutely presented a challenge. It’s why I chose to do it to “move up a level” in my fitness. As PrincessShmoo said some people want equipment or programs to improve on what they’ve already built. It’s why I wanted the workout bench I got for Mother’s Day. I took this commercial the same way.

Like who? What is wrong with the woman that is in the commercial?

But this one is circling back around to one of those things where people who see no problem with the thing itself comment on how OTHER people have too many opinions, which is always hilarious.

Dunno. I took the article as some people being offended. One paragraph said "The 30-second ad sparked a storm on Twitter, with several users pegging it as sexist. Some said the husband was “controlling” and “manipulative” as buying his wife an exercise bike suggested that the she needed to lose weight."

Just like it's OK to see a problem with this ad, it's also OK to think it's absurd to find the ad "sexist", "manipulative", non-PC, or otherwise "bad".

Like who? What is wrong with the woman that is in the commercial?

If you've seen a lot of the comments, people have issue with them casting an already thin woman when it's exercise equipment. There's nothing wrong with her, as a person, but as someone who IS overweight, it comes across as them not wanting to appeal to customers who might want to use the machine to lose weight. Which, maybe they are okay with that! I personally would have had less issue with the ad if the person featured in it was easier for me to identify with, and I'm sure that's the case for others as well (note how a lot of the jokes about the ad are people saying "oh man, starting my tough life-changing journey to go from 115 to 112, pray for me!").

But again, they are JOKES about an AD about a FICTIONAL person for an OVER-PRICED piece of workout equipment.

Dunno. I took the article as some people being offended. One paragraph said "The 30-second ad sparked a storm on Twitter, with several users pegging it as sexist. Some said the husband was “controlling” and “manipulative” as buying his wife an exercise bike suggested that the she needed to lose weight."

Just like it's OK to see a problem with this ad, it's also OK to think it's absurd to find the ad "sexist", "manipulative", non-PC, or otherwise "bad".

I think having issues with how items are marketed is more valid than being dismissive of other people pointing out sexism and manipulation, personally.

Right, it would be just terrible to see some 170lb woman in the ad instead of this fit lady, they'd have to put a disclaimer in front of it so people could turn away or something.

If you've seen a lot of the comments, people have issue with them casting an already thin woman when it's exercise equipment. There's nothing wrong with her, as a person, but as someone who IS overweight, it comes across as them not wanting to appeal to customers who might want to use the machine to lose weight. Which, maybe they are okay with that! I personally would have had less issue with the ad if the person featured in it was easier for me to identify with, and I'm sure that's the case for others as well (note how a lot of the jokes about the ad are people saying "oh man, starting my tough life-changing journey to go from 115 to 112, pray for me!").

But again, they are JOKES about an AD about a FICTIONAL person for an OVER-PRICED piece of workout equipment.

Seems like you are mostly upset with the fact that the actor is fit. I get your point, but as has been noted, if the person had been overweight to start with, the public outrage probably would have been the lead story on the evening news. I don't see an issue with the actor being fit and attractive (IMO).

FYI, the number on the scale is NOT the biggest indicator of fitness anyway. Very possible to be 115lbs and unhealthy. And for the record, I do agree with the irony of this being a Peleton ad. They're all cardio, and doing nothing but heavy cardio is a good way to get skinny but unhealthy.

So the first time I did Jillian Michaels Body Revolution each week when things ramped up and changed I actually did get nervous and said things like “If you don’t hear from me in an hour call 911.” I was relatively thin and in shape but it absolutely presented a challenge. It’s why I chose to do it to “move up a level” in my fitness. As PrincessShmoo said some people want equipment or programs to improve on what they’ve already built. It’s why I wanted the workout bench I got for Mother’s Day. I took this commercial the same way.

And that's great! I think it's kind of funny that they are so specifically narrowing their customer base to that, though. It comes across as a "am I even cool or stylish enough to work out?" and that kind of vibe is off-putting to me.

No, not at all. This is one of those things that articles are written saying that people are "outraged" and calling it sexist. That is a pretty much being offended by it.

And that's great! I think it's kind of funny that they are so specifically narrowing their customer base to that, though. It comes across as a "am I even cool or stylish enough to work out?" and that kind of vibe is off-putting to me.

Almost all ads for weight loss or getting fit include a person who is already trim and fit. But, in most cases it works the opposite of what you are saying. People see someone that looks like her and they want to be trim and fit like her so this bike is "the answer".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts