people who travel often & for over a week, how do you get so much vacation time at work? or is your job flexible?

I work for a small private law firm. I get 10 days paid off each year. Anything after that is unpaid. I'm lucky that we are in a position with DH's job that we can afford for me to miss and take unpaid time (I can take whatever I want unpaid as long as I keep up on the work and deadlines). He works in a factory and has pretty high seniority with quite a bit of time off. However I do definitely miss when I worked for a large corporation and all of the paid time I had off there (and the salary too!)

At my company, we get 20 days vacation, 7 days sick time, and usually about 15 days holiday time. Our company is very generous. So when we take vacations, we try to take about 10 calendar days otherwise, there is not enough time in the year to take it all with my work load.

I think it just depends on your profession and also employer. I'm fortunate to work for a company that values their employees. I get 5 weeks of paid vacation time plus ten scheduled holidays. Also if I don't use all of my vacation time, I can roll over one week (which I typically do). So going into 2020, I had 6 weeks of vacation. My husband works for a school corporation, so unfortunately our vacations are scheduled around his school breaks.

I'm self employed so no problem getting days off and getting paid (or not) for them. I follow my kids' school calendars so we go to Disney in the spring, summer or between Christmas and New Years(son's birthday). This year one is in college and the other is in high school so different spring break weeks. Maybe 2 Disney trips in spring?:)
I'm afraid to take them out of school because they learn so little as it is and I'm no teacher.
BTW, noticed the many health professionals responding here, God bless you and thank you for what you do!(please no edit)

You would have to check with employer about PTO before accepting a job but for the most part vacation is dependant on seniority. Been at my job for 20+ years and have 7 weeks vacation. Granted I can't take it all at once but no issues taking off two weeks at a time and when we travel to WDW we always go for 2 weeks.

Been at my current company for 8 years. I get 5 weeks of PTO, all holidays (including Christmas eve and New Years eve). The only thing I wish I had was dedicated sick time, because having to PTO time for being sick really stinks. Overall though, it is nice. I have been able to take a two week vacation before: first week was at Universal, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and some time with my grandfather; second week was on a Dis cruise. It was a wonderful vacation!

Been at my current company for 8 years. I get 5 weeks of PTO, all holidays (including Christmas eve and New Years eve). The only thing I wish I had was dedicated sick time, because having to PTO time for being sick really stinks. Overall though, it is nice. I have been able to take a two week vacation before: first week was at Universal, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and some time with my grandfather; second week was on a Dis cruise. It was a wonderful vacation!
I also don’t get sick time, just PTO. I don’t remember getting it at any company for which I have worked. My previous bosses have always been flexible about occasionally taking a day or partial day when sick without taking PTO. Being salaried, there are many times when I work 60-80 hours a week without overtime or extra pay. However, my current boss is kind of a stickler. Unless I can’t physically work, I used to just work from home when I was sick. I work from home all the time now with Covid.

Vacation time is 26 days, all federal holidays paid and sick time accrued at 4 hours biweekly, so I can't complain.

However, my husband gets 2 weeks total and if he can't find a pilot to cover, he can't take the time off. He can't roll his time over either, so there are years where he stands to lose vacation time due to lack of coverage.

We are self employed....my boss can be a little tough on taking time off...😉😉😂
Since we are on our own, I budget money every week to “pay” our salary when no income is coming in when we don’t work.

We usually take a few weeks in Disney with our DVC, except this year of course.

I work for a Health System. Have been there for 25 years, so at max PTO accrual. Comes out to 31 days per year. Six paid holidays.

I teach.

2 months off in the summer.
2 weeks over Christmas
1 week over the March break.

Not always cheap or ideal times to travel, but we go for 3 weeks or more over the summer. :)
We teach! Best job in the world!

This... and we get 10 days a year to use for sick time or personal business. I built mine up over the years (rarely sick, a pain to get ready for a sub). Last year, I switched teaching assignments (super easy sub prep) and put myself on 5 year plan. To use up all of my accrued days plus my new 10 per year, I can take off 30 days a year. Covid closure last Spring messed that up a little, so now it’s more like 32 or 33 a year.

I have 5 weeks PTO plus 2 personal days and 9 holidays. We can roll up to 1 week per year in to the next so this year I have 6 weeks. We don’t go anywhere 2 weeks at a time but we could.

my dream is to take 2 weeks at the end of May and 2 weeks at the beginning of June because our fiscal year ends 5.31. A whole Month of vacay!!

I'm a teacher - lots of vacation at the busiest/most expensive times. (But I'm not complaining - I'll take it.) My running joke with DH is that we'll go to WDW in a nice cool off season time for my retirement trip.

DH is not a teacher, so his vacation days limit us. He works in the public sector and gets about 10 a year (15 after 5 years), and a few extra days. He works 9/80s, so when we plan vacations, they always span 2 Fridays since he gets every other off. We also have family we visit out of town, so that uses some of his days, too. My mom is retired, so sometimes I get to go on a vacation with DH and then another vacation with her during my summer.

This... and we get 10 days a year to use for sick time or personal business. I built mine up over the years (rarely sick, a pain to get ready for a sub). Last year, I switched teaching assignments (super easy sub prep) and put myself on 5 year plan. To use up all of my accrued days plus my new 10 per year, I can take off 30 days a year. Covid closure last Spring messed that up a little, so now it’s more like 32 or 33 a year.

I almost never use those days, either! Way too much work to have a sub. In CA we can use them towards retirement. People usually do that. If you can store up a year's worth of days, you get a whole extra year of credit for retirement.

To be honest, it's a real problem for me. I switched companies and one thing I gave up was seniority of vacation time. My new company I only have 2 weeks + 5 personal days. I have DVC which handles about 10-14 days of vacation in a studio. In short, if I use all my DVC points, I have only 5 days of vacation over the entire rest of the year, and my company does not allow flex time - that is if I need to take a day to do stuff like go to the doctor, I have to use time for it, even though I work 60 hours a week otherwise. So 5 days over a year for all the time I have to go to the doctor, bring my dog to the vet, or handle any other business is... not much.

It is indeed a struggle.
Until recently, I also worked at a company for a long time and had 6 weeks PTO (including sick time) with the ability to roll over some of the unused time each year. I know that when I get a new job, I will likely not even get close to that amount, which is a bummer as I considered PTO to be one of the best perks of a job for me. At least my daughter just finished college, so I won't have to take off time for move in/out days :).

I own 2 businesses and make my own schedule. One company is harder to leave than the other. We just started a new Disney blog/vlog, so our trips are tax deductible as a business expense. We're trying to get somewhere Disney-ish about once a month. Next month, it might be a Disney museum (DL needs to open already!). Because I work for myself outside of my Disney blog, I can do work from about anywhere and don't have to worry about asking for days off :)

Until recently, I also worked at a company for a long time and had 6 weeks PTO (including sick time) with the ability to roll over some of the unused time each year. I know that when I get a new job, I will likely not even get close to that amount, which is a bummer as I considered PTO to be one of the best perks of a job for me. At least my daughter just finished college, so I won't have to take off time for move in/out days :).

I tried very hard to negotiate it too, explaining that I was coming from a company where I had more than double the PTO. However, as the company I was going into was a government contractor, they were very limited in what they could do by their contract with the government. It's I think the worst part about changing jobs is losing the PTO.

DH and I teach a community colleges. We get two personal days per year and a 1 sick day a month. We do get summers off, but it's unpaid. In the past, we have done Disney as soon as we were done in May (about the 15th) which was pretty good. We could stay as long as we could afford to. This fall, our schools decided to go mostly online, so, with laptops in hand, we're able to go for eight days. Every evening, when parks close, we'll be back at work. We will have to respond to emails throughout the day, as well. We've both tried to schedule classes so that we don't have very much grading for most of those days.

My DH gets 23 days PTO. We tend to vacay about 4 weeks a year and then have long weekends here and there and visit family for holidays and the such. Maybe take a day off, here and there, for getting something done at home. So when we do any vacay that is 5+ days, he will likely work while on vacay. We did a week at the beach in June and have another week at the beach next month. He worked 3/5 weekdays in June and probably will work 2/5 next month. He usually carries some days over too (can carry over 10).

He also gets 9 days paid holidays and we can travel around those dates too. He loves to do around Xmas and NYs because his whole office tends to slow down so he doesn't miss as much.

I have mostly been a SAHM. Our kiddos are all adulting or finishing college now so I could work but whatever job I'd get would be very hard for us to continue our vacation lifestyle. I wouldn't be able to take off as much and we'd probably be down to just 1 week a year. I'd like to work part time though.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand how people can go for 2 weeks and still have more time for more travel.

I'd love to ! I'm a stay at home mom now with freedom & time but not my own income (husband doesn't value Disney/ doesn't really care to travel)

And when I worked, I had terrible flexibility, 10 days vacation but 5 had to be taken at one time & I think unpaid time off was penalized or looked down upon.

So when I work again & can fund multiple Disney trips & travel, I'm going to have to find a job with better vacation time/ flexibility.
I worked at a State job where we received vacation, but also comp time (for working nights, weekends, and holidays). As I got older, this time added up. In my case, it was about choosing a job that gave me things that I valued (time), over things I didn’t care about (like working nights).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!