Perfect solution for room intrusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of legality, human decency would suggest that walking into someone’s hotel room and catching them undressing, or showering, without having a really good reason to do so, is disrespectful at the least. I really doubt that Disney wants the bad PR of people going online and sharing horror stories about being caught naked by an overzealous cast member. And I have no doubt a lawsuit would quickly follow.
Not just that but the lawsuits if something happens... or if someone wants to be internet famous for a while by saying it happened.

Unless multiple cms go together to do these checks they are opening themselves up to the possibility of someone claiming that the CMs are doing inappropriate things.

Housekeeping came early one time and caught the door locked. I happened to be just waking up and heard the faintest knock you can imagine. Three love taps on the door then a pause of 3 or 4 seconds before the electric lock opened. Then ... nothing. She couldn't get in. I don't know what she did after that. I got up. Began my morning routine. Put a shirt on. then pulled the addalock off the door and peeked out. Mousekeeping cart was down the hall a bit. Maybe she called her boss, but no one seemed to be in a hurry. Compared to my last trip, where the door swung open and slammed the privacy lock while I was asleep, I'm counting it as a win.

It takes about 3 seconds to defeat the swaybar and ... ironically ... the most common technique uses the do-not-disturb sign to flip the latch over.

I don't actually have a problem with the policy on principle but the way they are implementing it is not at all how they are describing it. They make it seem like hotel staff sees a room-occupied placard and knocks, gets an answer, or knocks again a few more times before deciding the guest forgot to remove their placard and letting themselves in. That would be okay I guess. But that's not what's happening. Even before this 'security check' business, a mousekeeper that would wait more than a few seconds for you to answer a knock before opening your room was rare in my experience.

Whenever someone takes money in exchange for a room to live in, be it a yearly lease down to a daily hotel, there is something called an "Implied Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment". Even in Florida this is a legal right that cannot be signed away in the rental agreement. Among this covenant are the right to Privacy and Peace & Quiet: Including the freedom from unreasonable and recurring disturbances from the landlord and/or other neighbors. This usually is held to mean that the property owner can stipulate access to your room but must do so in a way that minimizes disruption to the renter's peace and quiet.

Custodial staff letting themselves into occupied rooms is not something I have to accept. Or maybe I go back to sleeping in the buff.

My point exactly.. they can put any fine print they want but it does not take away certain rights under the law . Disney is not above the law their property or not , they are taking money for your right to have that rooms exclusive use for that time period . They still have to follow the law .

I think there are really two separate issues here. They may have the right to enter the room and do as they see fit, as it is their property. However they do not have the express right to do as they see fit to the people inside it by invading a person’s privacy while undressing, using the bathroom, etc, for no apparent reason, no suspicious activity, no belief that there is an emergency, etc. The same way they do not have the right to remove your belongings from your room while you are occupying it, as that would be theft.

If that were the arguement then any CM can just open up any bathroom stall anytime they see fit regardless if someone is occupying said stall, simply because it is their property. They may have a right to do as they please to the property, but they do not have a right to do as they please to the people inside it. They are not above the law just because they own the property.

The latch will keep housekeeping out whilst you’re in the room. They may knock and announce themselves but obviously they can’t get in whilst that is on. Just a friendly shout from you to say that the room is still occupied is enough to make sure they don’t try the door. If you have forgotten to put the latch on and they get no answer when hey knock on your door, they may well come into your room but if they see or hear you in there, they will leave immediately. They will then come back later to service your room. Housekeeping really have enough to be getting on with without standing outside your room until you leave.

I genuinely don’t see what the difference is between Disney hotels and every other hotel property I have ever stayed in, yet it seems to be a massive deal on these boards and as a result, people are getting wound up and worried about being walked in on etc.

Put your latch on, communicate with them if they knock and don’t worry about it. The new policy means they service/ check rooms every 24 hours. No one is going to demand entry and start calling security if you don’t answer the initial morning knock.

My point is that they have always had access to guest rooms, nothing has changed on that end.

Being able to access a room for valid reasons like maintenance and actually going into everyone's room on a daily basis are 2 very different things. I travel a lot and have been doing so for a couple of decades. When I have had my DND sign up, NO hotel personnel has ever knocked on my door to come in and check to make sure I am not up to something nefarious, ever. Going from we reserve the right to enter in emergencies or for maintenance to we are making sure your not a mass murderer is very extreme and frankly very invasive and insulting. Why are we all being treated like criminals because a small number of nut cases out there. This should bother everyone.

Being able to access a room for valid reasons like maintenance and actually going into everyone's room on a daily basis are 2 very different things. I travel a lot and have been doing so for a couple of decades. When I have had my DND sign up, NO hotel personnel has ever knocked on my door to come in and check to make sure I am not up to something nefarious, ever. Going from we reserve the right to enter in emergencies or for maintenance to we are making sure your not a mass murderer is very extreme and frankly very invasive and insulting. Why are we all being treated like criminals because a small number of nut cases out there. This should bother everyone.

I think my original point has gotten lost, like a game of telephone. :)

I appreciate it bothers others, doesn't bother me.

Unfortunately, it gives them the right to enter the room whenever they want.
Sorta, as long as they do so in the least intrusive method and manner available. And I think we can agree that if there's an 'occupied room' tag on the door, they can alert me of their need to enter in a lot of ways before they open the locked door themselves. It would be far less intrusive if, after finding the placard on my door and knocking to no answer, they called my room instead of just slamming the door open. The responsibility to not induce more than necessary is Disney's.

That video is scary! Especially since I am a woman and travel solo.
It should scare anyone. The product addalock works great. I'm not getting paid to say so.

I also recommend putting a wireless camera in your room that you can view from your phone. But I'm a little paranoid, so... grain of salt and all that.

Not just that but the lawsuits if something happens... or if someone wants to be internet famous for a while by saying it happened.

Unless multiple cms go together to do these checks they are opening themselves up to the possibility of someone claiming that the CMs are doing inappropriate things.

They could already claim that now about housekeeping. No difference

You know what I don't get? We are hearing reports from people that says that Disney is knocking on their door when they have the room occupied sign up. So what is the purpose of the sign really? I thought it was to let them know you are in the room and to come back later. Or is it just so they can knock quickly before they enter the room. Which to me defeats the purpose. If you are knocking on the door to announce yourself then a person can just say hold a minute and put away their arsenal. Again, these checks are worthless.

You know what I don't get? We are hearing reports from people that says that Disney is knocking on their door when they have the room occupied sign up. So what is the purpose of the sign really?

To alert them you are in the room so they don't just open the door and come in.

I thought it was to let them know you are in the room and to come back later.

No, that's what the old Do Not Disturb sign was for.

Or is it just so they can knock quickly before they enter the room.

Correct.

Which to me defeats the purpose.

Depends what their purpose really is.

If you are knocking on the door to announce yourself then a person can just say hold a minute and put away their arsenal. Again, these checks are worthless.

That is correct if that is what they are looking for. We don't know as WDW has never detailed the exact reason for these checks. Just the overly vague "guest safety".

That is correct if that is what they are looking for. We don't know as WDW has never detailed the exact reason for these checks. Just the overly vague "guest safety".

Well common sense would be that they are looking for guns or something like that. If they are so concerned about your welfare then you opening the door and saying "we are just great, having a marvelous vacation" would be enough. Further, with them coming into the room regardless of whether or not you are in there shows that they are looking for something.

I am sure WDW has a protocol and there has been no reports that housekeeping goes down the line methodically and just unlocks all doors regardless of signs. Being a rational and reasonable person is my guess is the process is something like this.

1. Go to first uncleared room and see if DND sign is in place.
    1. If DND is on door then make note of room on list and start back at top of process for next room
    2. If no then proceed to step 2.
  2. Knock on a door that has no sign
  3. Listen for occupants.
    1. If occupants still in room move on to next room with no sign. Make note of these rooms
    2. If room occupants gone then clean room
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 till all unmarked and unoccupied rooms are clean
  5. Start back on all rooms that were noted from steps 1.1 and 3.1
  6. If any rooms remain unclean from steps 1.1 and 3.1 start at the top till all rooms are complete.
Using these steps there should be zero to only a few rooms that aren’t cleaned. That list should be brought to management’s attention. I would assume management would start with a call and/or knock asking to enter. Finally if no answer they would likely announce themselves before trying to disengage the lock and check status.

I am sure WDW has a protocol and there has been no reports that housekeeping goes down the line methodically and just unlocks all doors regardless of signs. Being a rational and reasonable person is my guess is the process is something like this.

1. Go to first uncleared room and see if DND sign is in place.
    1. If DND is on door then make note of room on list and start back at top of process for next room
    2. If no then proceed to step 2.
  2. Knock on a door that has no sign
  3. Listen for occupants.
    1. If occupants still in room move on to next room with no sign. Make note of these rooms
    2. If room occupants gone then clean room
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 till all unmarked and unoccupied rooms are clean
  5. Start back on all rooms that were noted from steps 1.1 and 3.1
  6. If any rooms remain unclean from steps 1.1 and 3.1 start at the top till all rooms are complete.
Using these steps there should be zero to only a few rooms that aren’t cleaned. That list should be brought to management’s attention. I would assume management would start with a call and/or knock asking to enter. Finally if no answer they would likely announce themselves before trying to disengage the lock and check status.

I agree with you. While there have been some missteps, mishaps - the kinks will eventually be worked out. Most of the mistakes probably came from overzealous cast members themselves (who were just unsure what to do), who hopefully have been properly trained on protocol. I'm sure more serious complaints/incidents have been noted and corrected or a system is being worked on. This in time will just be something that is done at Disney resorts with as little disturbance to guests as possible. Yes, as with everything, there will still be issues in the future, but hopefully few and far between.

This too shall pass. :)

This brings up another point, because as a parent this is where my mind goes. Does Disney fully and regularly background screen every single employee who has access to room keys? Because this just sounds like a sex offender’s dream job.
can not say for Disney but the small park I work at requires that for any job at the park

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter