Perfect Timing - Repotting Question

KaraKW

<font color=blue>Baby Bird Correspondent<br><font
Perfect timing for this new forum (as I have a repotting question :D)!! I'm pretty excited about this great addition to the DIS!

Tomorrow I will be repotting one of my daisies. I plan to break it into clumps to make two plants from the large one. If I do this, I'm concerned that it may be hard to separate them with all of the tangled roots. How hardy are the roots? Will they be traumatized if they're tugged on a bit? Will soaking it in water before dividing it help soften the soil for this process?

Thanks for any tips and reassurance! :D

Kara :wave:

Hi Kara - I never repotted daisies but I imagine it would be much like repotting any plant. Yes, roots do get tangled a bit but gently pulling apart (and sometimes roughly pulling them apart) never seems to do much damage from my limited experiences. I don't think I would soak the soil because then it is messier to work with but that is just my humble opinion.

I'm sure come morning, when the other garden buds discover this thread, you will get more advice. But from my point of view, I say tug, divide, replant and enjoy!

Quite often when I buy flats of plants from the nursery, I'll come across a few that have inter-tangled roots. I've always just gently tugged them apart (and as tulirose said...sometimes not so gently). I think you should be okay. Just remember, after repotting, give it a good watering and keep it in partial shade for a few days.

Pete

I find that when I seperate the flowers to replant that has I'm pulling them a part I shake them a little and it seems to help with the roots.

I have been known to use a saw to separate ornamental grasses or huge hostas...so pull and pull hard.

Wow! Thanks so much! I'll feel much more confident in working apart those roots with all this great advice! :D

I'll let you know how it goes... I'm hoping to get to it either this afternoon or tomorrow! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!