Perimenopause is making me INSANE!

Can someone please tell my why I have the worst hot flashes when it's hot? As in when my classroom is over 90 I will have hot flashes.

Also I never knew the cold spell were a thing! That probably explains why I get freezing cold after a bad hot flash or a hard workout.

Can someone please tell my why I have the worst hot flashes when it's hot? As in when my classroom is over 90 I will have hot flashes.

Also I never knew the cold spell were a thing! That probably explains why I get freezing cold after a bad hot flash or a hard workout.

Basically when you start losing your hormones your body loses it's ability to regulate temperature well. I hear this eventually calms down. I haven't had a period in 3 years and it's still going on. My mother, who is in her 70s has ZERO issues (nor did she ever have many issues early on).

For those with insomnia due to peri menopause, it does get better. I had horrendous insomnia for all of those years, able to get to sleep but after a couple of hours, I’d wake up and be awake the rest of the night. It was awful. I had the cold flashes, freezing cold for hours, as well. I was not prepared for either of these unwelcome symptoms. I also had hot flashes but the cold was worse. When hearing about peri menopause, I never heard about insomnia or cold flashes, all I heard was the hot flashes, irritability.

Glad to hear it gets better because this is killing me. In fact, last night I only got 2.5 hours of sleep, and it wasn't even consecutive. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's making me physically ill. Twice in the past 6 weeks I've had to leave work early because I couldn't make it through the day, and one time I came in late. Today I'm trying to power through, but suspect I'll be leaving here "sick" around lunch time. Fortunately, I've got hundreds of sick hours in my sick bank at work. My problem is both not being able to fall asleep and also not staying asleep. This isn't every night, but 2-3 times per week.

Glad to hear it gets better because this is killing me. In fact, last night I only got 2.5 hours of sleep, and it wasn't even consecutive. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's making me physically ill. Twice in the past 6 weeks I've had to leave work early because I couldn't make it through the day, and one time I came in late. Today I'm trying to power through, but suspect I'll be leaving here "sick" around lunch time. Fortunately, I've got hundreds of sick hours in my sick bank at work. My problem is both not being able to fall asleep and also not staying asleep. This isn't every night, but 2-3 times per week.

Same.

I've managed to make it through my work days but I don't think I've been a nice person.

I "hear you".. I also believe in Extra Vitamin D, depending how much daily sun you get. I take 5,000 IU per day and a good multivitamin daily formulated for women with B Complex and minerals in it. Vitamin D is linked to depression, especially in the winter months where you don't get much sunlight. Exercise also combats the blues, gets the natural endorphins going. Good luck, hang in there!:grouphug:

Thanks so much for the encouragement! And, I did forget to mention that I recently began a mat Pilates class. That has helped tremendously too. I LOVE mat Pilates for how much it helps my body feel good and move easier. As soon as the weather improves a bit here (it has rained and rained and rained here in Georgia this winter), I plan to start walking again.

if anyone has any advice to share to help alleviate the crazy symptoms, I would appreciate it. As it stands now, I am cancelling my WDW trip in December, I am in no condition right now...

if anyone has any advice to share to help alleviate the crazy symptoms, I would appreciate it. As it stands now, I am cancelling my WDW trip in December, I am in no condition right now...

Oh don’t do that! It’s months away!

Maybe do like I did and look into some natural supplements first. I did a good bit of research online first, and I have to believe there is a book or two out there somewhere. My attitude was I will try something for a month. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try the next thing. So, don’t throw in the towel!

I'm 48 and my pms is AWFUL. Cry for no reason. Feel sad or irrationally angry. One thing that takes the edge off and keeps me functional is evening primrose supplements. But ask your Dr. 1st. It has a slight blood thinning effect. But it keeps me sane and levels me out. Also is good for hair and skin.

I am 47 and I saw my dr this past summer. She said I wasn't any where near peri-men. I swear to all that is holy I am. I am brain foggy, I get angry as a switch at times, depressed, like my hormones tank and I feel hopeless (thankfully that doesn't last long each month - a few days at most), I wake up so frickin HOT but not sweating and I am freezing, like no matter what I do, I can't get warm, and I don't sleep all night anymore. I can sleep anywhere but just not all night long.

Still she says no.

Well I say she has to be wrong. If her indicator is that my periods are regular, like still every 28 days, well thats terrible because I feel all the other things going on. My period has changed even if it is regular as. I feel like I am going crazy at times with this. I just want it to all be over lol!

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly me to a tee. I was told I had years to go and no where near at 48. I know better. I'm regular, too but pms is AWFUL. Using evening primrose and solitude to cope.

I'm 48 and my pms is AWFUL. Cry for no reason. Feel sad or irrationally angry. One thing that takes the edge off and keeps me functional is evening primrose supplements. But ask your Dr. 1st. It has a slight blood thinning effect. But it keeps me sane and levels me out. Also is good for hair and skin.
I will have to try the evening primrose tablets, I bought some a few months ago and haven't used them yet. I was trying melatonin for sleep and that didn't work at all. Have you tried SAM-E? It's supposed to be a supplement to boost your mood. My doctor recommended them, so I was able to get a good deal on them at Costco, 60 tablets. I couldn't make it past a week and half! Gave me extreme gastrointestinal distress, if you know what I mean. My husband did say I seemed to be happier during that time though. I'm tempted to try them again, I have tons of them left! I will be 48 in a few weeks and I suffer from depression/anxiety and it's getting worse. I never thought that perimenopause might be a cause of this. I'm still getting my periods but they are very short now. They usually only last two to three days. I'm assuming they will be ending soon and then I will be starting menopause? Isn't that when you haven't had a period for a year? I'm scared to see how much worse this will get.

I will have to try the evening primrose tablets, I bought some a few months ago and haven't used them yet. I was trying melatonin for sleep and that didn't work at all. Have you tried SAM-E? It's supposed to be a supplement to boost your mood. My doctor recommended them, so I was able to get a good deal on them at Costco, 60 tablets. I couldn't make it past a week and half! Gave me extreme gastrointestinal distress, if you know what I mean. My husband did say I seemed to be happier during that time though. I'm tempted to try them again, I have tons of them left! I will be 48 in a few weeks and I suffer from depression/anxiety and it's getting worse. I never thought that perimenopause might be a cause of this. I'm still getting my periods but they are very short now. They usually only last two to three days. I'm assuming they will be ending soon and then I will be starting menopause? Isn't that when you haven't had a period for a year? I'm scared to see how much worse this will get.

Yep, menopause officially begins after you've missed your period for a year.

I'm lucky in that I didn't get any real crazy PMS symptoms like y'all are speaking off. My tough time began when my periods (which you could set your watch by) started skipping. The hot flashes started. Honestly I haven't had much more than feeling hot easily (not real flashes but constant heat), and insomnia. My moodiness is directly related to lack of sleep and if I sleep well I feel normal.

This may not help but I was having bad allergies about 5 years ago. So I started taking allergy meds. I found that taking them right before bed helps me sleep. Been taking them every night for 5 years. I have switched around the different over counter ones to see which works best for allergies and making me tired and, for me, it is Zyrtec.

Last edited:
This may not help but I was having bad allergies about 5 years ago. So I started taking allergy meds. I found that taking them right before bed helps me sleep. Been taking them every night for 5 years. I have switched around the different over counter ones to see which works best for allergies and making me tired and, for me, it is Zyrtec.
I'v been taking allergy meds for years, and my Zyrtec doesn't seem to do much for the allergies any more, but it sure helps me sleep. Most of the time if I wake up and can't get back to sleep I realize later I forgot to take my Zyrtec.

Another symptom that is rarely talked about that I’m going to add here is Cherry Angiomas and Angiokeratomas.

In regards to insomnia/sleep with hot, hopefully this helps others, I had to find a new sleeping position and sleep differently altogether. Surprisedly sleeping in the buff has lot of health benefits especially for women. My sleep has indeed greatly improved and insomnia is now nonexistent.

Everyone experiences menopause differently. I know older women who barely saw it as a little blip. It’s hard to talk to women who think it’s no big deal when you are truly struggling.

Meanwhile, my mother who also had a complete hysterectomy experienced some serious mental health issues, all hormonally related. I thank God that I just became a bit “witchy with a B” but didn’t lose my sanity at times like she did. I’m not gonna lie, I worried that the same thing would happen to me I’m so grateful that it didn’t.
In hindsight, what I experienced was barely a blip compared to many. :flower3: I'd never lack sympathy for those that have much more severe issues though.

I've looked back through this thread to my own posts two years ago and conclude that yes, I am definitely past the worst. Unfortunately the things that really mattered to me like mental acuity, energy levels, metabolism and the general appearance and quality of my hair and skin will never be the same. :sad1:

Another symptom that is rarely talked about that I’m going to add here is Cherry Angiomas and Angiokeratomas.

In regards to insomnia/sleep with hot, hopefully this helps others, I had to find a new sleeping position and sleep differently altogether. Surprisedly sleeping in the buff has lot of health benefits especially for women. My sleep has indeed greatly improved and insomnia is now nonexistent.
Please list the health benefits of sleeping in the buff. I've been doing that since my hysterectomy.

Please list the health benefits of sleeping in the buff. I've been doing that since my hysterectomy.

*Regulates temperature which you fall asleep faster, quality of sleep is better & deeper.
*Improves skin.
*Regulates cortisal which lessens anxiety, stress, and balances hormones.
*Increases growth hormone where you burn more calories while sleeping and increases bone density.
*Melatonin will help release the growth hormone. When these two combine they produce the anti-aging hormone.
*Vaginal health is better airing things out.
*Improves blood circulation. Lowers blood pressure.
*Lessens the chance for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, & stroke.
*Improves brain health.
*Improves digestion and intestines inflammation.
*If you have a spouse/partner skin to skin contact improves mood and releases oxytocin. More as intimacy well because well you know.

*Regulates temperature which you fall asleep faster, quality of sleep is better & deeper.
*Improves skin.
*Increases growth hormone where you burn more calories while sleeping and increases bone density.
*Melatonin will help release the growth hormone. When these two combine they produce the anti-aging hormone.
*Improves brain health.
*If you have a spouse/partner skin to skin contact improves mood and releases oxytocin. More as intimacy well because well you know.
WOW.

*Improves skin.
*Improves brain health.
I'd love to understand the science of how this is possible. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter