Perks you would like to see as a Platinum member

Maybe I am in the minority, but wi-fi is absolutely the very last thing I want on a cruise. I want to be as disconnected from the "real world" as possible. If it weren't for the Navigator app and the camera on my phone, I would be more than happy to put in the safe as we leave for the muster drill, and not touch it again until debarkation day.

LOVE this!!! IMHO so true.....

I've also noticed these mega cruisers don't where their platinum lanyards. They probably don't want to explain why they've taken 60+ disney cruises.
I really do think they need to add a couple more levels.

Absolutely agree. :cutie:

I debated about logging back in to reply or not since we have temporarily moved on, but figured I had a different perspective than most.

Our first 12 cruises were on DCL and we liked the service we got and the product. We are not Disney people and we’re horrible at the Disney trivia and wished they had changed up the shows more often. Our favorite characters, tigger is mine and eeyore my daughters, aren’t even on the ship because they weren’t originally Disney.

So for us it is all about the product, price, and itinerary. The biggest perk we were disappointed in not being able to get was the extra OBC for platinum. Also changing up the stateroom gifts for platinum, the bubbly was undrinkable, it didn’t suit either of our tastes. As for other perks, I like the idea of getting a percentage off on shore excursions, which gives platinum a better discount deal than a gold cruiser, and heck maybe 15 percent off in the shops. The internet is not something I would take advantage of, our phones go in the safe after we make our last calls to family as the ship is setting sail.

Where we are unique is that we won’t pay for the DIsney experience, especially now that my daughter is an adult, so for us a DCL upping their perks would factor into us sailing on them again. We just want to cruise:) I totally understand that DCL doesn’t have to do anything right now, because they get enough new families coming on all the time, so they don’t need us inside stateroom cruisers that do one to two cruises a year to stay afloat;)

Saying all this, I do want to sail on the new ships, time will tell:)

As a platinum guest fast approaching 50 cruises with DCL, I don't want perks I can buy. Yes, it can save me some money when the perk they offer aligns with my plans but I'd just as soon pay for these things and have the perks be something I couldn't get/do otherwise.

For example, we like Palo but we don't love Palo so we don't make it a point to go every cruise. So I'd say we only take advantage of the Palo perk 1/3 of the time. (And with the reports of how difficult it is becoming to get brunch reservations, I can see them enforcing the free Palo on dinner only, which would bring us down to using it maybe once every 9-10 sailings.) If they were to replace the Palo perk with something we couldn't buy, say Platinum Palo tea, that would be great. We'd still do Palo brunch/dinner just as frequently but we'd feel we had some value in being loyal to DCL. The "free" stateroom gift is also a pass for us. We don't drink wine (and if we did, we would probably be more than happy to bring a few of our favorites on board with us), fruit is everywhere to be found so I don't need a fruit bowl in the room and the chocolate is horrible (plus they give you better chocolate at turn down every night - well except Pirate Night chocolate!). Plus we have to endure explaining to Room Service usually at least 3 times during the cruise that we do not want them to send any of the above to our stateroom and that we do understand that they are free and that it is a bigger burden to receive them then to skip them.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, the biggest loss of perks we've had was when they eliminated the Platinum experiences. Yes, they were getting repetitive and they needed to freshen up their offerings. (They did do that occasionally; the best was when they gave an extended behind the scenes galley tour.) And now it seems they combined the reception with the old platinum theater experience on the 8+ nights. They call it a reception and we had no idea what to expect when we were invited to a special viewing of newly updated Twiced Charmed several years ago on the TransAtlantic. But in my opinion, it is neither a good reception (you aren't really interacting with anyone from your theater seat), nor is it a good "experience".

I know the receptions were getting difficult when they had hundreds of people at them. And when they had to spread them out through 3 different bar locations didn't really help in mixing and mingling. But initially (the early years) the receptions were a lot of fun. They had appetizers (hot and cold) and the officers mixed through the room and guest mixed because the group was not so large. Ahh, the good ol' days. Who knew!

As a platinum guest fast approaching 50 cruises with DCL, I don't want perks I can buy. Yes, it can save me some money when the perk they offer aligns with my plans but I'd just as soon pay for these things and have the perks be something I couldn't get/do otherwise.

For example, we like Palo but we don't love Palo so we don't make it a point to go every cruise. So I'd say we only take advantage of the Palo perk 1/3 of the time. (And with the reports of how difficult it is becoming to get brunch reservations, I can see them enforcing the free Palo on dinner only, which would bring us down to using it maybe once every 9-10 sailings.) If they were to replace the Palo perk with something we couldn't buy, say Platinum Palo tea, that would be great. We'd still do Palo brunch/dinner just as frequently but we'd feel we had some value in being loyal to DCL. The "free" stateroom gift is also a pass for us. We don't drink wine (and if we did, we would probably be more than happy to bring a few of our favorites on board with us), fruit is everywhere to be found so I don't need a fruit bowl in the room and the chocolate is horrible (plus they give you better chocolate at turn down every night - well except Pirate Night chocolate!). Plus we have to endure explaining to Room Service usually at least 3 times during the cruise that we do not want them to send any of the above to our stateroom and that we do understand that they are free and that it is a bigger burden to receive them then to skip them.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, the biggest loss of perks we've had was when they eliminated the Platinum experiences. Yes, they were getting repetitive and they needed to freshen up their offerings. (They did do that occasionally; the best was when they gave an extended behind the scenes galley tour.) And now it seems they combined the reception with the old platinum theater experience on the 8+ nights. They call it a reception and we had no idea what to expect when we were invited to a special viewing of newly updated Twiced Charmed several years ago on the TransAtlantic. But in my opinion, it is neither a good reception (you aren't really interacting with anyone from your theater seat), nor is it a good "experience".

I know the receptions were getting difficult when they had hundreds of people at them. And when they had to spread them out through 3 different bar locations didn't really help in mixing and mingling. But initially (the early years) the receptions were a lot of fun. They had appetizers (hot and cold) and the officers mixed through the room and guest mixed because the group was not so large. Ahh, the good ol' days. Who knew!

I agree the receptions used to be a lot of fun and interesting. It was nice being able to talk with the Captain and the engineers. One thing that was cool on our Hawaii cruise was they did a Q&A with some of the officers in the WDT and it was really interesting to learn some things. We were too late to the party to know about the platinum experiences and it sounds like it was really cool:) I think RCCL does something like this now once you reach a certain level.

As a cheapskate at heart - I do not even like the "free" Palo meal as it costs 20-30 dollars in extra tips for dining there; especially when the free food in the dining room is excellent (in my definite-not-a-foodie mind) :)

I would really like something truly free - like plush bathrobes (not the thin ones from the spa); or what I would really like is the laundry service for free.

Curious what percentage of platinum members are Florida residents and take advantage of special FL rates, or XGT rates last minute. There is the obvious advantage of less overall costs and therefore affording more cruises. In my late summer Dream sailing the past few weeks membership has totally jumped from locals taking advantage of lower FL fares. Even here I read people only live an hour from port.. So it could be that a larger % of platinum members are not high yield customers.. Hench no special rates.

I think you nailed it. The platinum members I have chatted with over the years live in FL and hop on and off short cruises quite often, thus racking up the platinum level very quickly. Coming from NM, its a once a year vacation and the up status is slow.

Wow! I wish DCL looked at that model. It makes me want to move to celebrity and be appreciated. I find those perks incentives....I suppose DCL doesn’t need repeaters right now, but they are building two more ships and that is going to require a lot more passengers. New people go DCL because of reviews and word of mouth. If people get disillusioned, their base will slowly erode. I suppose they will react at that time, but the first rule of marketing is it costs MUCH less to keep a customer coming back than finding new people.

I have always been the biggest DCL fan, but am starting to consider other lines. My kids are older, the Prices keep going up and the Canadian dollar makes it even more painful. Also, I want new itineraries and special experiences. The doubling of shows is almost a deal breaker for me.

Some incentives and appreciation would help. DCL should follow Celebrity’s model. I really like what they do.

This!!! I vote for this!!!

I am surprised DCL has not come up with a higher level CC, like I don't know, "Diamond", or "Titanium" or something. I know soooooooo many people that have been on more than 50 or 60 Disney cruises!! They must REALLY want more perks! Understandably so. :cutie: I do know this for sure, DCL keeps track of their "frequent fliers" and encourages their crew to recognize these folks each time they return.

My luck is Disney will come up with something like this, because my #10 is this later this year and #11 & #12 booked for 2019 and they'll change the levels just before I take my 1st cruise as Platinum.

See, I don't find that. I have 40 DCL cruises under my belt and I am treated no differently than any other guest (aside from the Platinum perks) which is fine. I have never had crew recognize that I have been on so many or say wow, you have been cruising with DCL since Day 1 and have 40 DCL cruises let me treat you special. ...
MJ

We have done 9 cruises since 2001 and while we are not recognized for # of cruises, we are recognized by Cast Members as being return guests. We were most amazed at running into a cast member on the Fantasy in 2016 that we met 10+ years ago on the Magic and not only did she recognize us (she was friends with our favorite bartender on that cruise), but she remembered which bar we hung out in. We are constantly amazed when we see crew from past journeys and they stop us to say welcome back - this goes across the board for us, officers, bar tenders, servers and cast in the retail establishments.

I agree a lot of Platinum may be Florida residents - add to that a lot are also Cast Members who get the cruises at discounted rates.

I know it can be a sore subject for some, but personally if they are going to revamp the system, I would like them to include the number of days sailed somehow in the levels. One person can take 10 3 day cruises and another 10 7+ day cruises and both be Platinum. Yes, they are both 10 cruises, but a HUGE difference on days at sea, and in many cases money spent to take those cruises. We did Princess once with MIIL/FIL, and they recognized the cruisers by # of days at sea. One couple had over 1,000 days.

We still book based on itinerary no matter the perks. Also, for a short cruise, we will just about always pick DCL because I definitely smile more on those quick getaway cruises.

BENEFITS WE USE ON CRUISE LINES

On Princess we still get a reception with food and drinks and officers to speak with, we get an Internet package and access to a private lounge with food and reduced drinks. On our last cruise, in January, the lounge was at the top of the ship, with great views. We were also allowed to bring our friends to the lounge, and this was their first Princess Cruise. Our future Princess Cruises include 7 night Alaska with a 3 night land package and a 28 DAY CRUISE AROUND AUSTRALIA!

On RCCL (& Celebrity) we get the reception, access to lounge that includes some alcohol, special lines at certain times. On these cruise lines we currently have a 10 night cruise to Hawaii and a 14 night cruise from Buenos Aires Argentina to San Antonio Chile booked.

We are Platinum on DCL and we go to Palo for dinner, play Bingo with the extras, get the wine, and use the on board discount. We have 7 DCL cruises booked, 2 DVC Member Cruises, NYC to San Juan, NYE on the Dream, W Caribbean on the Magic, WBTA and EBPC.

Princess, like DCL, has laundry machines for Guest use, that’s not a perk, but a consideration for us.

I do use Internet on board. With DCL, I have watched my whatever (bytes?)disappear as I logged on, that has never happened to me on Princess ( free for me) or RCCL when I pay. I would love Internet that works as a perk on DCL.

We still book based on itinerary no matter the perks. Also, for a short cruise, we will just about always pick DCL because I definitely smile more on those quick getaway cruises.

BENEFITS WE USE ON CRUISE LINES

On Princess we still get a reception with food and drinks and officers to speak with, we get an Internet package and access to a private lounge with food and reduced drinks. On our last cruise, in January, the lounge was at the top of the ship, with great views. We were also allowed to bring our friends to the lounge, and this was their first Princess Cruise. Our future Princess Cruises include 7 night Alaska with a 3 night land package and a 28 DAY CRUISE AROUND AUSTRALIA!

On RCCL (& Celebrity) we get the reception, access to lounge that includes some alcohol, special lines at certain times. On these cruise lines we currently have a 10 night cruise to Hawaii and a 14 night cruise from Buenos Aires Argentina to San Antonio Chile booked.

We are Platinum on DCL and we go to Palo for dinner, play Bingo with the extras, get the wine, and use the on board discount. We have 7 DCL cruises booked, 2 DVC Member Cruises, NYC to San Juan, NYE on the Dream, W Caribbean on the Magic, WBTA and EBPC.

Princess, like DCL, has laundry machines for Guest use, that’s not a perk, but a consideration for us.

I do use Internet on board. With DCL, I have watched my whatever (bytes?)disappear as I logged on, that has never happened to me on Princess ( free for me) or RCCL when I pay. I would love Internet that works as a perk on DCL.
Good to know about the Laundry on Princess. I know it's crazy, but having a laundry room is one reason I stick with DCL and Carnival. I have two teenage boys and I like to pack light. I don't like other people doing my laundry.
I agree with you on the internet. I buy the 1000mb package every cruise.

Last edited:

We feel the same way about Palo. I would say increased OBC would be nice, but very few of my cruises have been onboard bookings. I would assume a lot of frequent cruises are booking GT rates, FLR, MTO or some other kind of discount so the OBC is insignificant. I think they should offer some kind of obc to all platinums regardless of how you booked your cruise. Even if it's just 25.00 dollars or a few free drinks it would be appreciated.

It would also be nice if they could at least change up what they do offer. I have 7 sling backpacks. I don't need more then one. Fruit, champagne, chocolate.....there's got to be something new they could come up...a plate of cookies, stuffed mickey....anything that's new. The gifts they bring when you have a problem with your stateroom are nicer then what they give platinum members. The chocolate covered strawberries, and little sponge cakes are really good.

I thought the castaway club reception they had in the theatre was really lame. It's an hour of my life I'd like back. I did like the old mix and mingle receptions.

I'd love fare discounts, but as others have pointed out, DCL doesn't really need to give out perks to repeat cruisers. So long as the freshies keep coming in, I expect CC to be a minimal "me-too" loyalty program, maintained more from a P.R. perspective than anything else.

Maybe I am in the minority, but wi-fi is absolutely the very last thing I want on a cruise. I want to be as disconnected from the "real world" as possible. If it weren't for the Navigator app and the camera on my phone, I would be more than happy to put in the safe as we leave for the muster drill, and not touch it again until debarkation day.

I agree with you WiFi I don’t care about on a cruise. I think a lot of people want free WiFi so they can go on bragbook ( Facebook) and brag about their cruise they are on and post pictures. Some for work and some to check on their dogs, cats, older and sick family members. Nothing wrong with any of them things. Whatever makes them happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter