Perks you would like to see as a Platinum member

Curious what percentage of platinum members are Florida residents and take advantage of special FL rates, or XGT rates last minute. There is the obvious advantage of less overall costs and therefore affording more cruises. In my late summer Dream sailing the past few weeks membership has totally jumped from locals taking advantage of lower FL fares. Even here I read people only live an hour from port.. So it could be that a larger % of platinum members are not high yield customers.. Hench no special rates.

I’m not a FL resident but once cruised with a military discount on a last minute 3 night Dream. I managed to spend 1500.00 onboard, so discounted rates are not necessarily low-yield.

Last edited:
We feel the same way about Palo. I would say increased OBC would be nice, but very few of my cruises have been onboard bookings. I would assume a lot of frequent cruises are booking GT rates, FLR, MTO or some other kind of discount so the OBC is insignificant. I think they should offer some kind of obc to all platinums regardless of how you booked your cruise. Even if it's just 25.00 dollars or a few free drinks it would be appreciated.

It would also be nice if they could at least change up what they do offer. I have 7 sling backpacks. I don't need more then one. Fruit, champagne, chocolate.....there's got to be something new they could come up...a plate of cookies, stuffed mickey....anything that's new. The gifts they bring when you have a problem with your stateroom are nicer then what they give platinum members. The chocolate covered strawberries, and little sponge cakes are really good.

I thought the castaway club reception they had in the theatre was really lame. It's an hour of my life I'd like back. I did like the old mix and mingle receptions.

This is 100% accurate. I have tons of backpacks, sling bags, tote bags, etc. Not complaining just stating that when you do cruise often you get multiple of things. And we had an issue with our Cabin on our October cruise out of NY. As a thank you for our understanding and patience (we were not really inconvenienced all that much) we got about six chocolate rice crispy mickey head treats and a beautiful Cheshire Cat fleece blanket and two bags of popcorn. We couldn't believe how nice it all was and thought it a wonderful gesture.

I would like to see the beach towel brought back....that I can use many of as we use them for bath towels!

50699254MYmhzE_fs.jpg

I agree with you WiFi I don’t care about on a cruise. I think a lot of people want free WiFi so they can go on bragbook ( Facebook) and brag about their cruise they are on and post pictures. Some for work and some to check on their dogs, cats, older and sick family members. Nothing wrong with any of them things. Whatever makes them happy.

Oh, I don't begrudge anyone who wants free wi-fi, especially if they have concerns at home that require an open line of communication. I was just speaking for me.

The thought of hearing my phone buzz with an incoming text or social media notification while on a cruise makes my left eye twitch.

Last edited:
I’m not a FL resident but once cruised with a military discount on a last minute 3 night Dream. I managed to spend 1500.00 onboard, so discounted rates are not necessarily low-yield.

Hey Stinkerbell, I agree wholeheartedly with you! I have been a FL resident for 20 years, but just now have my 1st FL res. discounted cruise coming up. Mostly I've booked w/DVC points. And almost all my cruises have been a minimum of 7 days, a few a good deal longer than a week. It doesn't matter HOW I booked our Disney cruise, I always end up with a room charge somewhere in the vicinity of the one you mentioned. :rolleyes1 We do a few spa treatments, always, always Palo, and enjoy adult beverages while onboard, and of course, one MUST buy some stuff in the shops, mustn't they? :goodvibes

Oh, I don't begrudge anyone who wants free wi-fi, especially if they have concerns at home that require an open line of communication. I was just speaking for me.

The thought of hearing my phone buzz with an incoming text or social media notification while on a cruise makes my left eye twitch.
You don't get texts or notificatioons. The phone is left in airplane mode. You just connect to wifi as needed. If you keep you phone in airlane mode you'll use up less mb.

You don't get texts or notificatioons. The phone is left in airplane mode. You just connect to wifi as needed. If you keep you phone in airlane mode you'll use up less mb.

I have never used wifi on a ship. So, if you connect to wifi (even with your phone still in airplane mode), your iMessage, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. won't sync up and deliver a bucketload of messages, notifications, and so on?

Last edited:
I have never used wifi on a ship. So, if you connect to wifi (even with your phone still in airplane mode), your iMessage, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. won't sync up and deliver a bucketload of messages, notifications, and so on?
1. Phone in airplane mode.

2. Connect to DCL wifi WITHOUT logging in using your stateroom number, the only thing that will work is your DCL app with DCL messaging.

3. Connect to DCL wifi WITH logging in using your stateroom number, all of your apps will update and notify as usual unless you turn off updates and notifications. Doing this will use up WiFi at a remarkable rate and show you just how much we actually use technology all the time.

3a. First turn off all updates and notifications. Then connect to DCL wifi WITH logging in using your stateroom number. Nowall your apps will NOT update and notify as usual. They will only pull data if you open them an manually update.

1. Phone in airplane mode.

2. Connect to DCL wifi WITHOUT logging in using your stateroom number, the only thing that will work is your DCL app with DCL messaging.

3. Connect to DCL wifi WITH logging in using your stateroom number, all of your apps will update and notify as usual unless you turn off updates and notifications. Doing this will use up WiFi at a remarkable rate and show you just how much we actually use technology all the time.

3a. First turn off all updates and notifications. Then connect to DCL wifi WITH logging in using your stateroom number. Now all your apps will NOT update and notify as usual. They will only pull data if you open them an manually update.

Thanks. I should have been clearer. I’ve never used the paid wi-fi option. I *have* used the free wi-fi for the app/Navigator/chat.

If I didn’t need those latter things, I still think I'd rather just chuck the phone in the safe for the duration of the cruise. ;)

Last edited:
I don't use social media, but assume you can turn off your apps. If you don't you'll burn through data. I also set all apps to not update automatically.
I use wifi to catch up on emails, read the news, visit my favorite websites. I guess since I don't use social media I've never felt the need to escape from it. If you traveling in Europe it's nice having wifi to research ports, check train times, buy tickets to tourist sites etc.

I can't find where it says how you earn points. I assume it's a combination of days and sailings? Or maybe to do with the cat you book?

What I found is it appears to vary by the room you book. From 2 points per night for an inside and oceanview to 18 points a night for their crazy awesome suites.

RCCL also has some nice perks too, not sure though how are points have been accumulating there either.

Hey Stinkerbell, I agree wholeheartedly with you! I have been a FL resident for 20 years, but just now have my 1st FL res. discounted cruise coming up. Mostly I've booked w/DVC points. And almost all my cruises have been a minimum of 7 days, a few a good deal longer than a week. It doesn't matter HOW I booked our Disney cruise, I always end up with a room charge somewhere in the vicinity of the one you mentioned. :rolleyes1 We do a few spa treatments, always, always Palo, and enjoy adult beverages while onboard, and of course, one MUST buy some stuff in the shops, mustn't they? :goodvibes

Yes, we must:rolleyes: and I’m really in trouble with the upcoming Halloween cruise with my daughter. That bill will be obscene :crazy2:

Most of us still pay the prices and sail but I have commented on the comment cards they need to change/add/update the platinum perks. As others have mentioned, I dont need the fruit bowl, not a fan of the prosecco and usually get the truffles (we bring them home and end up throwing them out as no one eats them) I miss the additional $$ off a purchase in the stores. I would like to see a better/different room gift. I would like the $30 credit for either Palo or use it towards Remy's cost.
I've read/heard some of the other cruise lines have many levels and options- free drinks, dinners, receptions etc.... something new would be nice.

I think as a platinum guest, I should be able to venture into the outlook café on the Wonder!!! I used to love sitting at outlook with my latte and enjoy the awesome view. This would be very nice!!!
We haven't been on the Wonder in a number of years. I didn't know it changed from the serene place it was over the years. I guess we'll find out in September. Thank you for the updated information @mocodis .

We haven't been on the Wonder in a number of years. I didn't know it changed from the serene place it was over the years. I guess we'll find out in September. Thank you for the updated information @mocodis .

it is still there, but only for concierge guests. Wonder has a sundeck on top of the outlook café too, but its for concierge only too. it was one of my favorite places.

I don't know if this has changed but I would like to see a separate boarding wait area for platinum cruisers (like they do for concierge). Although it is nice being in group 1, it feels like I'm fighting all sorts of traffic (other boarding groups jockeying for position) just to be able to board in that first group. Seems like it shouldn't be such an effort to be able to use your platinum benefits. I will admit that once I'm on the ship, it is wonderful and magical. Sorry for the venting.

I don't know if this has changed but I would like to see a separate boarding wait area for platinum cruisers (like they do for concierge). Although it is nice being in group 1, it feels like I'm fighting all sorts of traffic (other boarding groups jockeying for position) just to be able to board in that first group. Seems like it shouldn't be such an effort to be able to use your platinum benefits. I will admit that once I'm on the ship, it is wonderful and magical. Sorry for the venting.

Agree this would be an easy and low cost fix for DCL. Just a couple of ropes near concierge check-in for a platinum waiting area and a set for a platinum queue near the entrance and done. Have the cast members take that group first, after concierge and family of course.

Return of the tours. Free upgrade, enter in through concierge door instead of the fight through crowd to board, actually be able to book a cabana at 120 days out (Hate getting in at 12 and seeing nothing left.) and comp the gratuities at Palo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!