pet peeve IRL and on the DIS

caitycaity

<font color=009999>Accidentally deleted her tags<b
I have been told by so many people IRL, on other boards and here that i must be "trying to forget" or that i "have forgotten" what happened on 9/11 just b/c i don't want to see graphic pictures of the events for the umpteenth time or because i do not happen to agree with some of President Bush's policy. Everytime i hear this i get really upset. believe me, i haven't forgotten and i won't ever forget as long as i live. i am reminded of 9/11 on a daily basis and i find it the height of presumption that people would tell me how to remember it or that i have forgotten it b/c i don't happen to agree with them.

please try to be a little more sensitive. :)

I know what you're saying caity, and you KNOW that I understand how you're feeling.

Every person has to do what is best for him or her in dealing with this. I find that I sometimes NEED to see the more graphic stuff in order to stiffen my resolve.

I don't want to see it, nor do many of those around me.

It's just too close to home.

And believe me, I'll never forget.

brenda -- i know you know how i feel. :)

to clarify, i'm totally not trying to tell people that they shouldn't have their own opinions. for people who want to view graphic footage, they should, by all means. whatever works for you, individually.

but a little tolerance when confronting others on how they deal with it might go a long way. :)

that i must be "trying to forget" or that i "have forgotten" what happened on 9/11 just b/c i don't want to see graphic pictures of the events for the umpteenth time or because i do not happen to agree with some of President Bush's policy.

How rude! I have a similar, yet opposite (?) pet peeve (people saying that none of these things should be shown because they don't want to see it) since I'm one of the ones who feels the need to see it.

I got a 2nd wave of depression after 9/11, both years. As if the horror wasn't enough, realizing that we are so petty that we have to start judging each other for things like this, or competing/bragging... it's just maddening. So much for unity.

a little tolerance goes a loooooooong way in most any situation. :)

How rude! I have a similar, yet opposite (?) pet peeve (people saying that none of these things should be shown because they don't want to see it) since I'm one of the ones who feels the need to see it.

She never said anything about not showing the pictures. She said that she did not want to see them and that people were judging her for that.

Reread and see that you both have valid feelings and should respect each others' right to handle the situation in the best way possible.

Don't get me started Caity. I feel the exact same way, as if I am unpatriotic for not wanting to people fall to their death from the World Trade Center for the umpteenth time.

And if one more person tells me I'm "letting the terrorists win" by being afraid, well, let them come here and live a couple of miles away from the White House and the Pentagon and then tell me about letting the terrorists win. I am so sick to death of that phrase I could scream. :(

I totallly agree with you Caity, what is IRL?

Caity,
I understand what you are saying. I stayed up late every night for months and watched the towers fall, and all of the graphic images on TV for months after 9/11 last year. I was also hit with a wave of depression yesterday. I just couldn't bear to see the bad scenes again this year.

What I think is upsetting is when people deliberately try to pick fights with others on the evening before a tragic memorial. I'm NOT talking about anyone on this thread, just a faceless idiot, or two. I guess some people don't have feelings!:(

I agree, but I do feel that there is an element in our society that seems to have forgotten the gravity of the situation & the importance that the events never be repeated. I would never accuse someone of not wanting to see the horrible images of being unamerican, but I would question those who feel the need to act like nothing happened.

Wagamama - IRL = In Real Life

Seems to me that means you remember and feel it more......

thanks guys. i feel better knowing some other people feel the same way. :)

"I agree, but I do feel that there is an element in our society that seems to have forgotten the gravity of the situation & the importance that the events never be repeated. " believe me -- that's not me, LOL

I completely understand, I too, did not watch tv yesterday. How can any of us forget? I'm reminded when I'm driving to work looking at all the tall office buildings or every time I hear an airplane. I think about it when I'm sitting in church or when the kids are at school - wondering how safe are we now in church or school? I think about it when I step into a crowded mall. I think about it so much that I just can't watch it on tv. I see those horrible pictures in my mind all the time!! It will be just as real 20 yrs from now whether I watch it or not. I can't even watch the people running from the buildings, that too is so real in my mind.

I also don't need to be reminded, I spent 3-4 hours last year wondering if family members were alright. But that said, I did find myself watching some of the programing...I also don't need to see all the graphic footage...I didn't need to see people falling through the sky... if you want to watch that stuff, fine...but for those of us who don't, we always have Nick At Nite and TV Land!

I think everyone should be able to deal with such an emtional event in the way that's best for them, and it should be respected and they should not have to justify it. . . :)

caity, I'm one of those people who needs to see the images again and again. I don't understand why, but I'm drawn to it -- to see and to remember.

but I understand perfectly why you don't want to see those images again. they're very hard to look at. we'll never forget what happened that day, but we do have to move past it. and if not looking is what's best for you, if that's your coping mechanism, that's what you should do.

our President is just a man, just an elected official. its our right as Americans to disagree with him now and then (or, in some cases, more often). hopefully he has the wisdom to do the right thing for the country -- but sometimes Presidents do the wrong thing. it's ok to disagree with his way of dealing with the issues.

{{hugs}}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts