• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peter Pan Sequel Review/Box Office Numbers

The BEST part of RTN was when Wendy and Peter Pan meet at the end for a minute. It made me get all misty eyed. :-)

:)

Piglet203 and I saw it last night and loved it. I was surprized that it was as good as it was. I was expecting a semi-good storyline and animation that could have been better. I was wrong. The story was great, the animation was great. I can't say enough good things about it. We also liked the Pluto cartoon before the movie.

The "Lilo And Stitch" movie does not look good at all. I've said before that it looks like Disney's version of Pokemon and I'm sticking by the statement. I hope this isn't the direction the company is taking.

All in all, it was a great night to be at the movies.

Mickey76:)

Peter Pan RTNL is holding it's own at the box office this weekend. Through Saturday, RTNL had grossed approximately $24 million, with Sunday's take likely bringing it ever so close to the $30 million mark. The numbers this weekend will likely see RTNL slip to 4 th place for the week, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place spots are very tight. Friday/Saturday's combined gross was $6.21 million, approximately a 20% decline from it's Friday/Saturday's numbers on opening weekend. Conversely, films like John Q, which opened at #1 last week, saw a Friday/Saturday drop of 33% from it's opening week, and Crossroads, which was in second place in front of RTNL saw a whopping 50% decline. RTNL's strength this weekend, relative to other films that opened the same week, should keep it on track toward blockbuster status. When you consider that the studio has already re-couped their costs, from here on out every dollar taken in is pure profit. The same cannot be said for films like Collateral Damge, who opened a week earlier and cost 3-4 times as much to make. That film will be hard pressed to break even at the box office. RTNL could easily reap a 500% profit for Disney at the box office, with another 100 million plus quite easily in video sales. that would up profits for the film to the 1000% plus range. To put it in proper perspective, films like Collateral Damage or even Pearl Harbor for example, because of their relatively higher production costs, would have to gross in the $300-$400 million range to achieve the same success. I'll post RTNL's numbers for Sunday later tonight or tomorrow.

1 - Queen of the Damned - $15,155,000 - $15,155,000
2 - John Q - $12,525,000 - $39,855,000
3 - Dragonfly - $10,400,000 - $10,400,000
4 - Return to Never Land - $9,000,000 - $27,200,000
5 - Crossroads $7,100,000 - $26,266,000

From what I have read this movie is a combination of feature animation and TV animation. I think this is why the film works in the animation aspect. I have read that they used some feature animation components such as computer animation to supplement the TV work. This is what gives it the quality feel - unlike the other direct to video movies. I have not seen it - just the previews. I will certainly be seeing it soon with all of the good reviews.

From a business perspective maybe Disney should be producing these types of movies more often and save the blockbuster feature animation to every two years. This will spread the financial risk and they can truly concentrate on the blockbuster movies and building anticipation making them an event when they are released.

Dave O.
OKW 4/01

Still holding on.

1 - We Were Soldiers $20,200,000 - $20,200,000
2 - 40 Days and 40 Nights $12,500,000 - $12,500,000
3 - John Q $8,400,000 - $51,075,000
4 - Dragonfly $6,800,000 - $19,400,000
5 - Return to Never Land $6,500,000 - $35,300,000

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter