Pete's comments on his team and the Skyliner from last weeks show.

the crew last week delivering a relatively tepid reaction did surprise me but i wasn't bothered by it; if that was everyone's genuine reaction so be it. i'd rather a real reaction than them pretending to be upset just because they think that's what we want to hear.

HOWEVER craig blew it with the "i don't empathize" stuff. foolish comment by him. you're asking for trouble when you go with a comment like that.
Couldn't agree more.

I rode the sky gondolas the day it re-opened, was stuck at one point for maybe 10-15 minutes and it was very unpleasant. Got super hot, and an older gentleman next to me was sweating profusely, I can't imagine 3 hours.
I've been a big cheerleader for the Skyliner from day one, trying to push back against criticism and misinformation but I have to say reports like this really concern me. Disney and Doppelmayr need to stay on top of this. The system can't be stopping like that especially in the midday heat. Yes there are vents but you've probably seen videos of how hot it can get in a parked car in the summer even with all 4 windows open a couple of inches. It can quickly get up to 130-140 degrees. If you have Skyliner cars stopped for even 30 minutes in those conditions, bad things are going to happen to people.

I'm still looking forward to riding on our next visit but until we reach our destination, I'm sure I'll be a bit uneasy.

That's your opinion not everyone has to feel the same way about a guest stuck in a gondola for 3 hours. It's just like how I don't expect you to empathize with me if my subway train is late.
right; nobody said everybody has to feel the same way.

wrong; late subway train =/= stuck in gondola, two different worlds of situations

look i'm just adding my 2 cents and i'm late to the party anyway. Craig going on the podcast or even on the forums and saying something like how he doesn't empathize with these folks, especially right after it happened, is asking for drama. that's all. you and i can feel any way we want about it but we don't work for a company that has a disney podcast and customers listening/watching all of our posts.

Last edited:
my wife said something similar. things were going to happen when it comes to transportation. whats important is how disney responds and in that regard they did as good of job as possible to compensate their guests. however, I didn't like how it happened 6 days after open and how it took 3 hours to get these people down.

I've been a big cheerleader for the Skyliner from day one, trying to push back against criticism and misinformation but I have to say reports like this really concern me. Disney and Doppelmayr need to stay on top of this. The system can't be stopping like that especially in the midday heat. Yes there are vents but you've probably seen videos of how hot it can get in a parked car in the summer even with all 4 windows open a couple of inches. It can quickly get up to 130-140 degrees. If you have Skyliner cars stopped for even 30 minutes in those conditions, bad things are going to happen to people.

I'm still looking forward to riding on our next visit but until we reach our destination, I'm sure I'll be a bit uneasy.

The cabins don't warm up like cars. The wrapping the gondolas use prevents that. When stopped, the feel like temperature inside the cabin starts to feel like the feel like temperature outside in the shade. Every video out there featuring a temperature gauge inside the cabins shows the temperature doesn't spike inside the cabins when stopped in the afternoon sun, but somehow people keep believing these anecdotal stories about the cabins heating up like cars.

The simple truth is that if you can't handle long exposure to the outside temperature on a hot day, you shouldn't ride this on a hot day. You, also, shouldn't be going to the parks on hot days.

right; nobody said everybody has to feel the same way.

wrong; late subway train =/= stuck in gondola, two different worlds of situations

look i'm just adding my 2 cents and i'm late to the party anyway. Craig going on the podcast or even on the forums and saying something like how he doesn't empathize with these folks, especially right after it happened, is asking for drama. that's all. you and i can feel any way we want about it but we don't work for a company that has a disney podcast and customers listening/watching all of our posts.

But telling someone their opinion or feelings about something is wrong isn't right either. It's not a good way to disagree with someone and doesn't generally lead to a good discussion.

The cabins don't warm up like cars. The wrapping the gondolas use prevents that. When stopped, the feel like temperature inside the cabin starts to feel like the feel like temperature outside in the shade.
That's good to know. I only saw one temp gauge video but it was done while the cars were moving. I haven't seen any done after an extended stop. If you're aware of one like that, can you post a link. I'd like to see it and be able to share it when the topic comes up.

Is there any significant difference between the cars with character wraps and those without? I know the windows are tinted and have the reflective surface so I'm guessing that provides sun/heat protection..

The simple truth is that if you can't handle long exposure to the outside temperature on a hot day, you shouldn't ride this on a hot day.
I doubt the average person would think this way though. There's also a big difference between going in the parks where you can pop into an air conditioned store or restaurant or attraction periodically to cool off or get a cold drink and being in a stationary gondola car for a couple of hours with nothing but a warm bottle of water from the emergency kit.

Again, I'm a fan and supporter of the Skyliner, but I also can understand why people have potential concerns.

The cabins don't warm up like cars. The wrapping the gondolas use prevents that. When stopped, the feel like temperature inside the cabin starts to feel like the feel like temperature outside in the shade. Every video out there featuring a temperature gauge inside the cabins shows the temperature doesn't spike inside the cabins when stopped in the afternoon sun, but somehow people keep believing these anecdotal stories about the cabins heating up like cars.

The simple truth is that if you can't handle long exposure to the outside temperature on a hot day, you shouldn't ride this on a hot day. You, also, shouldn't be going to the parks on hot days.
I can tell you from first hand experience, I was in stuck for a bit in a Gondola the day it re-opened, it was stopped for 10-15 minutes and it got VERY WARM inside. I am not a heat intolerant person, but I was hot, and the elderly gentleman next to me was sweating profusely and commenting how he felt overheated.

Only if you don't moan and complain about it constantly. People just need to drop this ad it's been discussed to death at this point and it's not going to change anyone's opinions one way or the other by saying that you think that someone should have empathy for the people that were stuck.

Only if you don't moan and complain about it constantly. People just need to drop this ad it's been discussed to death at this point and it's not going to change anyone's opinions one way or the other by saying that you think that someone should have empathy for the people that were stuck.
oh my, i didn't realize i was "moaning constantly" don't you hate when people do that

I still think they messed up when they didn't put ACs in the gondolas. They could have been solar powered or had some other power source.

I wonder if Craig will have empathy for Pete's experience on the Skyliner yesterday.

I still think they messed up when they didn't put ACs in the gondolas. They could have been solar powered or had some other power source.
Neither of which would work. Doplmire bulit a couple of them with it and it doesn't work, you aren't in it long enough for it to be effective at all plus batteries needed for it would increase the size and the weight of the gondola even more.

I wonder if Craig will have empathy for Pete's experience on the Skyliner yesterday.
Why just because Pete had a bad trip doesn't mean he deserves empathy from us. When I read his post on Facebook I just rolled my eyes and thought oh great another bad review of the skyliner from someone.

I can tell you from first hand experience, I was in stuck for a bit in a Gondola the day it re-opened, it was stopped for 10-15 minutes and it got VERY WARM inside. I am not a heat intolerant person, but I was hot, and the elderly gentleman next to me was sweating profusely and commenting how he felt overheated.

Yeah, we were never really stopped when we were on the Skyliner, but even going through the Riviera station the gondola heated up quite quickly. I don’t really care what temperature gauges have said, it felt uncomfortable for those couple minutes (and we were moving slowly, with all the station fans going) I would not want to be stuck for hours like that.

I thought Pete said last episode he wasn't going to go on the Skyliner? Am I misremembering?

I had at most 10 minutes stopped time on Skyliner Monday thru Wed. with not moving at the different stations at AoA/Pop. CBR, and Rivera resorts due to security trying to locate a cellphone. I had an okay temperatures during those stops.
Yesterday,I did think about doing all stations before my Magical Express time and decided not to tempt faith (edit ...fate) plus I needed to keep track of my flight due to storms in NC. I did notice the long stops while taking last of my trip photos.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!