Pete's Solo Shows and the $10 tier

I don’t think you need to be bewildered. It’s just feedback from a different view. I think $10 is kinda a lot and I think it’s brave to say that. As a college student if I supported even the small number of youtubers I enjoy by that much I’d be in trouble fast. I am okay with being excluded for now, being in college is my focus right now.

These are all valid points. I understand that for a lot of people giving away $10 a month is "a lot." I've been there myself. I certainly did not mean to imply any criticism toward people who can't avoid to pay $10 a month.

The point I wanted to make, however was that the poster stated: "the $10 mark is a lot for what I think is available." To me, this assertion had nothing to do with being able to afford being a $10 a month subscriber. Rather, it seemed to speculate about what was "available" for $10 and said the cost was too hight.

Oh I see yes I think your point is well taken and makes sense. Lol I see your professional side showing and I enjoy you as a contributor very much for it. :flower3:
And on a positive note, I think the auction coming up is a great opportunity for all to contribute. Everyone has some old and unique Disney relics collecting dust on a shelf. It’s just a matter taking the time to get to the post office and ship them off to Teresa.

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion given that one of the topics of this week's Disney World show was Disney's new streaming service. For $6.99 per month with access to Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. The panel talked about streaming subscription services and at what point the value received isn't worth the cost as well as how many subscription services someone is willing to buy.

I feel like I might have a unique perspective because I have supported multiple podcasts on Patreon, and I used to support the Dis at the $10 level. I stopped for 3 reasons: 1. The disunplugged has a corporate sponsor (currently 2 that I know of), many of my other podcasts I support do not. 2. There was a point where the content seriously lagged on Patreon, so it was hard for me to keep justifying it to myself. 3. I love what the Dis does, but I feel like some of the other podcasts I support do causes that are more altruistic. It's easier for me to justify $5-$10 a month when part or all of that money is going into a legal defense fund, to trauma counselors, etc etc. Not that the Dis should feel like they have to do that stuff, and they do do a wonderful amount for Give Kids the World, but it's not the patreon money is going to them. I support the Dis in other ways like Steve said. I go to events, the auctions, etc.

As for if other podcasts provide as much content at a lower price point, yes, some do. Partners in Crime Media has three additional podcasts that are available only to their patreon members ($6 level), plus exclusive facebook groups, many media posts (pictures, short vlogs or lives) on patreon, etc. A Date with Dateline puts out extra podcasts and pictures/media and has a significant amount of fan interaction at the $5 level.

As for if they should lower it, I'm an analyst so I can't give an opinion without the numbers. :confused3 They obviously feel it's working for them, and so maybe they keep it where it is. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'd very much like to support the DIS and jump in at the $10 tier, however, that $10 tier is actually AUD$14 for me. More than I pay for Netflix, WWE Network, Amazon, Stan (a streaming service here, i think maybe a bit like Hulu? It is where all Disney stuff streams here), Apple Music and almost as much as Audible.

Am i bummed that I cant really make yet another subscription work for me? Yes.
Do i wish it was more like $5? Sure.
Do i think they should change it? No.

If it works for them, then great! It obviously does as they've made no changes to it.
Unfortunately, i'm not in a position to sub at the moment, though, i'd love to hear/watch Pete's solo shows (i used to LOVE free form Friday).

I'm also sure they've probably done a cost analysis on tiering.
As an example:
If we have 500 supporters at $10, do we think we can get 1,000+ if we drop it to $5?
If no, then the cost benefit analysis dictates they leave it at $10, have less subs but make the same $.
If yes, then they'd drop it.
It's fairly simple.

This was the kind of post I was going to make the other day with rteetz but I was on my phone and too lazy to do the math. In any case, I'm willing to bet they haven't done this because they have only just started CONSISTENTLY promoting Patreon on one of their shows. I'm willing to be if they drop Pete's vlogs at 2-3$ level they'd get more people involved. Once you have people involved in that ecosystem, once they break the threshold of paying for content, then it's pretty easy to put more exclusive content at the $10 tier and get people to upgrade.

They just started cross-branding the different boards and sites. A lot of this is marketing and branding 101 stuff. They have a lot of room to grow in this space. They certainly haven't maximized their potential at all. The funny part of this is that they have done and continue to do the hardest part: creating awesome content and a following!

I think what has become clear through the exchanges between @disneyland_is_magic and @jcb is that there are two angles/points of discussion which have been discussed/debated interchangeably (which is not uncommon with online discussions)

1) In a vacuum, money not an issue, is the $10/moth the DIS charges in line with what others charge based solely on the content provided to said contributors.
Personally, for a while I would have said, no it wasn't - but in recent months I think they have stepped up with exclusive content and just much more interactions with posts and questions to the group from Ryno and Fiasco - but obviously up to each individual to see how they value the specifics of what is provided vs other sites, but just in quantity I think it is there now, vs maybe not so a few months ago

2) What are they asking for of people to be a Patreon/why do you give $ to the DIS
I think this is where the DIS (at least in the past) differs from other sites/podcasts that view Patreon as a significant revenue source for their operation and push and market it much more than the DIS does. Other podcasts I listen to spend 5-7 minutes just pushing their Patreon account and what you get, etc. The DIS mentions it but it's like a 30 sec thing of "hey, why not check this out). It has been positioned much more as a way to show your love and support for the operation as a whole not just for what you were getting specifically for the monthly fee. So I think @disneysteve's comparison to and PBS donation makes sense

I do think that @NeuroCindy makes a very good point that they now have 2 very clear third party sponsors (in the past it was just cross marketing with Dreams which the same people own) - so do they still need the "support" from Patreons to help cover cost of new equipment, etc. - or is that now what the third party sponsors should cover. (now the altruistic aspect I can't really speak to - I would look more to direct donations rather than supporting something that supports something ... but I am also known to have a heart 3 sizes too small, so perhaps I don't look at this correctly)

Perhaps this is a good time for them to reconsider how they position Patreon - is it still something they they are looking for a smaller number of people to join and feel like part of a "club" or do they want to expand and push it more and make it more of a legit revenue stream for them?

I don't think either is right or wrong, just that to date they have positioned their Patreon differently than other podcasts

(sorry for the long post)

Perhaps this is a good time for them to reconsider how they position Patreon - is it still something they they are looking for a smaller number of people to join and feel like part of a "club" or do they want to expand and push it more and make it more of a legit revenue stream for them?

I don't think either is right or wrong, just that to date they have positioned their Patreon differently than other podcasts

(sorry for the long post)

We're all having this discussion without actually know what the DIS team's motivations are for Patreon! Maximizing profit or just a club where they have fun with it.

Like you said, no right or wrong here.

We're all having this discussion without actually know what the DIS team's motivations are for Patreon! Maximizing profit or just a club where they have fun with it.

Like you said, no right or wrong here.

That's true - I am basing it on what they said when they first launched it - that it was a way to support them and what they were trying to do, they mentioned specifically it would help cover the cost of new equipment, etc

But that could have only been part of it or the motivation may have changed

That's true - I am basing it on what they said when they first launched it - that it was a way to support them and what they were trying to do, they mentioned specifically it would help cover the cost of new equipment, etc

But that could have only been part of it or the motivation may have changed

Right. I just read the situation as the motivation may have changed since they have started a lot of cross-promotion with the disboards on the shows and also the mentioning of Patreon every week now.

I'm also sure they've probably done a cost analysis on tiering.
As an example:
If we have 500 supporters at $10, do we think we can get 1,000+ if we drop it to $5?
If no, then the cost benefit analysis dictates they leave it at $10, have less subs but make the same $.
If yes, then they'd drop it.
It's fairly simple.
Spoken like a true accountant. ETA: Not that that's a bad thing.

Last edited:
To throw my 2 cents in.....as a fan who enjoys everything about The Dis and what they put out, but can't spare the extra $$$ for more content, I would love to see them release the shows after 60 or 90 days to the general subscribers. Meaning the privilege ya get with your Patreon support is the advantage of seeing more content as soon as it's released. It would a long wait....and the fans who can't get enough, will still support with Patreon regardless because the need their "fix".

I am fairly price sensitive and 120 a year is just too much for me to justify the cost when I won't even pay for Hulu who has shows I like and I know I would watch. 5 a month would probably be my limit. Maybe there aren't enough people like me to move the Dis to reprice their patreon content so that is fine, I get it. Just sayin it is too much for me.

I agree with the OP, and believe there are some valid points made, on both sides of the argument. I do feel that at a $3-$5 mark, the DIS would definitely get more supporters, in fact, probably quite a significant amount (if it provided the bonus content). Just a gut feeling. But only they know what works for them.

Last edited:
Just waned to point out, from anybody that doesn't know, they DO have a $3 tier, if you just want to help support the day to operations. However - no - it does not have any bonus content, if that's what you're looking for.

Not making any judgements, just pointing out the facts. :)

Last edited:
To throw my 2 cents in.....as a fan who enjoys everything about The Dis and what they put out, but can't spare the extra $$$ for more content, I would love to see them release the shows after 60 or 90 days to the general subscribers. Meaning the privilege ya get with your Patreon support is the advantage of seeing more content as soon as it's released. It would a long wait....and the fans who can't get enough, will still support with Patreon regardless because the need their "fix".

Isn't that what they said would happen when they started using Patreon? They mentioned that everyone would still see all the content but those that did Patreon would see it quicker. I can't remember how long they have been using it now but the purpose has changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter