PHM vs WDW Half? On site vs Off site? Cheaper option?

misskitkat

Earning My Ears
Hello,

In 2012 I ran the PHM and absolutely loved it! I started running just to run that race. I guess I made it sound like fun because a few friends of mine would now like to run it in 2015. There would probably be about 5-6 of us going, more if we can convince others to join us. I have never dreamed of staying anywhere but on site when I visit but we would be looking to do the race on a pretty tight budget. Ideally I would like to convince my friends to stay on site but we would need at least 2 rooms which adds up. An off site condo or house would make sense for a group of this size. Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay off site?

Also, would accommodations be less expensive if we ran the race in January? What about the crowds? Half the group would be men so they might enjoy that race more.

I'm just trying figure out as much as possible so my friends don't have to do all the work. Plus, I love to plan.

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We're going down with family for their first ever runDisney event in May, and my dad found a great deal for an off-site condo that's maybe 15-20 minutes away going through HomeAway. My sister was in the college program for a while, and is currently still living in Orlando, so they've gone through them a couple times already and found it to be a good value for off-site stays.

If you want to try and swing something on property, you might take alook at David's Vacation Club Rentals where they broker deals between you and DVC members to stay in the Villas for discounted rates relative to Disney. Some coworkers just used it for a group trip last month and had a great time; we'll be staying at Boardwalk in October through a reservation there. Just be aware that when making reservations, booking in advance is better to avoid them reaching capacity but that I don't believe there are any cancellations.

On site, it seems to be cheaper for the January races. I did the 2013 WDW full last January and our prices for airfare/room/tickets were cheaper than the 2014 Princess Half Marathon. January is still "value" season, though not Marathon Weekend really, but PHM is during "peak" and seemed to cost more. Plus places sold out very quickly for PHM weekend.

I didn't think marathon weekend was very crowded at all. I couldn't tell you about PHM crowds this year since I had to defer.

I can't really speak to the questions on where to stay, but I will give you my 2 cents on the PHM vs the WDW half popcorn::

I am a 53 yr old female who has done both races. Full disclosure - my half times are between 2:40 and 3:00 depending on course and conditions, so I have been placed in the middle corrals. Getting swept has never been a huge concern - obviously knowing that in any race something can go horribly wrong and anybody can be in that situation on any day. The PHM seems to trend toward slower overall times and more people getting swept than the WDW Half.

That said, I MUCH prefer the WDW half. I love better balance of sexes in that race and I'm not really a sparkly princessy kind of girl anyway which seems to be the PHM's stock in trade.

This is just my impression, but if you are running with a group that is half men, they may be more comfortable with more men overall.

I too prefer the Half over the PHM... I came back from PHM with chaffed arms from all the tutus. Folks forget they have them on when passing and I did not realize how close quartered passes were until the post race shower. Also the swag, while you can get uni-sex sized is not something I will ever wear after dawn or before dusk.

There are several off site home/condo reservation services. I have successfully used VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owners) for other parts of the country. It was relatively trouble free. Look in the Westgate/Four Corners area for the better house locations. There are a couple subdivisions that are set up as rental communities. Travel into WDW only has 3-6 traffic lights. I would avoid the rentals nearer Kissimmee (east of Lake Lucielle) due to traffic.

I also think you will be surprised at how cheaply you can get into a room for marathon weekend. First, one should really go through Central Reservations not runDisney. You will be able to take advantage of the deeper discounts through CRO. Bundle room, tix and meals for the best deal. Also remember that you will have a $70-120 a day adder for a rental car(s) that is not required if on property; assuming a flight into the area.

I think it a tougher decision than price. For a group of friends on a race weekend you will have some downtime where you simply are not headed to a park. I really have grown to appreciate being a DVC member so we can have the 5-10 folks coming in for the January races together under one roof. It makes the early evenings and mornings a little easier than having to coordinate 2-3 rooms across a resort. We also only do one breakfast out for marathon weekend, adding to the camaraderie in the villa as folks get ready for the day. While I am a big on property fan, I could easily make a case for offsite in your situation. PM me if you want a drive by of a subdivision.

Great job getting a group of friends interested in running the race.

If you want to try and swing something on property, you might take alook at David's Vacation Club Rentals where they broker deals between you and DVC members to stay in the Villas for discounted rates relative to Disney. Some coworkers just used it for a group trip last month and had a great time; we'll be staying at Boardwalk in October through a reservation there. Just be aware that when making reservations, booking in advance is better to avoid them reaching capacity but that I don't believe there are any cancellations.
I second the recommendation for David's and have a reservation through them for Marathon Weekend in January. In addition to the fact that you can't cancel, also be aware that you'll need to pay in full as soon as you make the reservation through them.

I did the Princess Half in 2011 and the WDW half last year and I prefer the WDW half. The courses and corralling are exactly the same, number of registered runners is about the same and the weather will be pretty similar. I can't speak to which is cheaper because we're APs and we rent points.

In my mind the big differences are:
1. Day or race (WDW half on Saturday vs. Princess on Sunday)
2. Theme - biggest consideration...Donald/general WDW sports theme vs. girly/Princess theme, so that plays into what the finisher medals and participant shirts look like, what merch is available, etc.
3. As others said PHM times seem to trend slower.
4. (In my opinion) there's more of a "buzz" on property in January since there are so many more runners there
5. I spectated the Princess Half this year and there were not many men at all. Definitely a more even split in January

For me, I like January better. I like that the classic characters are at the center of the races and the energy on-property. Either way I'm sure you'll have a blast. :)

Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions! That's why I love this place so much; so many knowledgeable people will to help you out. Now I can get on with my second favorite part of visiting Disney World- the planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter