Phone Help Please

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
We are heading to Disneyland in a few weeks and I was just realizing I will need some sort of US plan on my phone as I want to use Maxpass etc- called Telus and of course because my phone is under a EPP (employee plan) the regular travel plans don't apply- I can't just pay $7/day and use my own data/calling- I'm assuming I can buy a SIM card for another company and put it in? Help please :)

Not sure if you can do this in Canada but how about buying a phone that doesn't have a plan. Like the prepaid ones. I know in the US you can get ones where you can call Canada.

Has anyone used Roam mobility? Seems like a good option- buy the SIM card and then activate for $5/day?

I have Roam. Have had no issues using the daily plan in Florida, San Francisco and San Juan. Planning on getting the one month option for August since we’ll be driving to WDW at the start then back in FLL at the end.

I'm about to use it in Florida next week. We've used ROAM in a number of different states. Just check to make certain you will have coverage where you are planning to travel. Disneyland should be good but if you're venturing off the beaten path as well there may or may not be service.

We've used ROAM for years and have been quite satisfied with it. Is your work phone unlocked? My son uses data when he travels in the US and he's had good experience with that part of their service.

I’ve used Roam Mobility in Disneyland in the past and didn’t have any issues.

You might want to check with your work IT department if you’re allowed to change the SIM card. I know DH would not have been allowed to do that. Luckily his work phone has a North American plan and with WiFi working 75% of the time we needed to use MaxPass we didn’t use data much on his phone (my iphone only had WiFi).

we've used Roam, before Rogers brought in "roam like home" and it's been just fine. I like that you can purchase data and talk if you want, or just one or the other (at least, that was before). i'm guessing your phone isn't exactly a work phone, you just have a discounted plan b/c you work for a big company.

We are heading to Disneyland in a few weeks and I was just realizing I will need some sort of US plan on my phone as I want to use Maxpass etc- called Telus and of course because my phone is under a EPP (employee plan) the regular travel plans don't apply- I can't just pay $7/day and use my own data/calling- I'm assuming I can buy a SIM card for another company and put it in? Help please :)

As long as your phone is unlocked, the Roam is a great option. We've used it for a half dozen trips and only stopped using it for my phone when I got a new one last summer and did not want to pay to get it unlocked. Now that I can unlock it for free, we'll go back to getting Roam for both our phones.

I have a Telus EPP rate and just pay the $7 a day rate no problem. I think it prompted me to sign up for it when it detected we had crossed the border, or I may have done it before? Either way, you should be able to use that option.

Edit: mine is a telus employee rate...is that what you mean, or a rate you access through employee benefits?

I have a Telus EPP plan through my work and was also able to add the $7/d roam like home plan. Ensure you are talking to the corporate side not the consumer side of Telus when you call to try to add the plan.

I have a Telus EPP rate and just pay the $7 a day rate no problem. I think it prompted me to sign up for it when it detected we had crossed the border, or I may have done it before? Either way, you should be able to use that option.

Edit: mine is a telus employee rate...is that what you mean, or a rate you access through employee benefits?

It’s a rate I access through employee benefits for the company I work for :)

I have a Telus EPP plan through my work and was also able to add the $7/d roam like home plan. Ensure you are talking to the corporate side not the consumer side of Telus when you call to try to add the plan.

I was really mad as there is a link on our plan details on our internal website and when I called the number they insisted I couldn’t add :( I’m going to try the Roam :)

Did you get it sorted out? Even if you have an old plan which does not allow $7 per day Easy Roam, there should be other roaming bundles available to you.

It’s a rate I access through employee benefits for the company I work for :)
My company is the same way and I had no problem using the roam like home feature while I was away 2 weeks ago. You should be fine to use it as the EPP is just a discount applied to the plan of your choice it doesn't have any extra plan restrictions. Call telus corporate support to check instead of the internal number as it's Telus who is going to send you the bill and only they can give you the correct answer.

I was really mad as there is a link on our plan details on our internal website and when I called the number they insisted I couldn’t add :( I’m going to try the Roam :)

My company is the same way and I had no problem using the roam like home feature while I was away 2 weeks ago. You should be fine to use it as the EPP is just a discount applied to the plan of your choice it doesn't have any extra plan restrictions. Call telus corporate support to check instead of the internal number as it's Telus who is going to send you the bill and only they can give you the correct answer.

I have Rogers with company plan discount. Same $7/day Roam plan. Roaming Plan isn’t discounted. Same price for everyone. I agree with JEakins, phone Telus back, maybe use Corporate support line. I think the person you talked to didn’t know what they were talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!