Photo opportunities and pacing

Lacey Skinner

Earning My Ears
I’m going to be running in the 2019 Disney Princess challenge. It’s a big moment for me as I’ve never challenged myself to run anything before. I know with these races you stop for photos a lot. How does that affect your pacing? I’m not worried about having a good running time, I’m more concerned about the balloon ladies picking me up because I waited in too many photo lines.
Any tips or experiences you’ve had with this?
Thanks!

I’ve not run the Princess races but in the other runDisney races I’ve done the waits for photos can get pretty long. Getting an early start corral is a big help so if you have a proof of time race to get you in an earlier corral that would be good. The lines get longer and longer as more racers hit the course.

I think about the longest I've waited was 15 minutes or so with the average probably being closer to 5-6 minutes. So a lot depends on the buffer you have in front of the ballooon ladies and then you're moving pace less than 16 minutes per mile pace to make up for your stops.

If you are using a watch to track your pace be sure you don't pause it during photo stops as it can fool you into thinking your overall pace is faster than it is. Use that pace to help you decide what buffer you may have in front of the ballooon ladies.

I also have no experience with this race, but generally speaking:

5K - take your time and get as many pictures as you wish
10K - submit a low expected finish time so you start early and can get some stops in with characters
13.1M - need a good proof of time race result to get a good corral if you want a lot of character pictures. Had a friend under-trained one year, without a proof of time. She started in the back and had ZERO time for character pictures. She would have been swept if she stopped even once.

13.1M - need a good proof of time race result to get a good corral if you want a lot of character pictures. Had a friend under-trained one year, without a proof of time. She started in the back and had ZERO time for character pictures. She would have been swept if she stopped even once.

Totally agree with this. Last year I did it with a friend who was extremely undertrained and who also didn't submit a POT. We agreed to stick together anyway. She was in the last corral (I didn't submit a POT but did submit an expected finish time, so I was two corrals ahead and had to go back and start with her). I actually didn't know she hadn't trained until the morning of the race. When we reached the first mile marker and she shouted "I can't believe I just ran a whole mile without stopping!" I knew we were in trouble if we wanted to get photos. We switched to a walk-run strategy to try to conserve energy, and it worked for a while. She crashed around mile 8 and we ended up walking the rest, except for when she saw the sweep buses she would run until we passed them (I had explained to her how they work - if you're ahead of them when they cross the road, you're allowed to keep going, but if you're behind them they make you get on).

We stopped for one photo, Tiana in Magic Kingdom (my profile pic here). That was an extremely short line and only took about 5 minutes. We also got in line for the rotating princesses in MK but the cast member told us that the line was taking about 30 minutes and that the balloon ladies were less than 30 minutes away, so we got out of line and kept going. I compared our finishing time to the balloon ladies, and we only finished 5 minutes ahead of them (based on clock time - our chip time was actually longer than theirs).

I’m going to be running in the 2019 Disney Princess challenge. It’s a big moment for me as I’ve never challenged myself to run anything before. I know with these races you stop for photos a lot. How does that affect your pacing? I’m not worried about having a good running time, I’m more concerned about the balloon ladies picking me up because I waited in too many photo lines.
Any tips or experiences you’ve had with this?
Thanks!
A few thoughts from someone who has never ran a sub 3 hour half and still got some character photos during all but one of those races.

1. Sounds like you already understand this, but time in line for characters is part of your overall race time. So if you ran one mile in 10 minutes and waited in line for a character photo during that same mile for 20 minutes, your time for that mile is 30 minutes. I know of people that were swept because they did not understand that the 45 minute wait for a character photo during the race was part of their overall mile time.

2. I have what I will call the best kind of experience with how runDisney sweeps. As in I've been close enough to being swept that they warned me, but since I had previous race experience, I knew what pace I could run so I also knew that in a worst case scenario, I could keep pace with the balloon ladies if necessary.

During the 2017 Dark Side 10K, I was in line for a photo on the Emperor's Throne from Return of the Jedi. This was a short line. When I was 3rd or 4th in line, the bikes came up and told us that the balloon ladies were 5 minutes behind us and when they got to that point, we either needed to leave the line and join them or stay in line, get the photo and be swept. Based on where I was in line, I knew I could easily stay in line and still be fine, but I also knew where I was in relation to being swept. I got my photo and resumed running with no trouble. However a few minutes later I saw that very sweep occur. The buses pulled up and I saw runners who were now headed towards that bus.

Ultimately, that experience proved liberating. I had seen a sweep occur firsthand. I knew exactly how it worked. So I also knew exactly what would happen if I was ever in danger of being swept. This freed me up to at least attempt character photo stops knowing that they would warn me if I was in trouble. It also helped me to enjoy the race more and not fear being swept because I knew from prior race experience what I was capable of. I second the idea of running a race to get proof of time beforehand. Even if you don't get a proof of time that puts you in the corral of your dreams, you gain experience. My first half included no photo stops whatsoever. Just continuous running. I ran it in 3:05. From that I knew that I had some cushion. My second race a year later included 2 character stops totaling maybe 10-15 minutes total and I finished it in 3:07. Because of what I learned in race number 1, I could safely stop for characters in race number 2.

If proof of time is not possible, then just remember that training will help you win the day. And if all the character lines are too long for your liking, take other photos. Maybe in front of something cool in the parks, maybe a run by selfie. Just have fun and enjoy the atmosphere.

I would advise slower runners to keep the following in mind. You may need to pick and choose what characters you stop for depending on your pace. You also may not be able to stop for every character. You may also have to skip a favorite character if the line is too long. I will note here that at least in some cases, you can meet some of these same characters in the parks after the race. And while I have some very fun race photos with favorite characters, the in park photos with the same characters after the race were actually more fun.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person that doesn't like to stop for character photos during a race (or really even in the parks) :rotfl:

I enjoy seeing the characters on the course as I pass by them but I'm a hot mess when I'm running (super sweaty always lol) and my personal goal is to run the whole race without stopping!

I have a question on the Marathon Weekend 2019:

What are the lines like for the character photo opps in the A or B corrals? I ran the Lumiere's Challenge in 2016 in corrals A for the 10k and B for the Half Marathon, and didn't have to wait in either race. Is it about the same experience during Marathon weekend?

@croach was in A for both the half and full this year during Marathon Weekend and I don't believe he had much of a wait for any of the characters.

Out of the A corral(assuming you’re still running a comparable pace) you usually won’t have more than a couple person wait. More often then not, you won’t have one at all.

General rule of thumb I go by: 10 people or less in line, I can wait but have to run to make up the 2-3 minutes straight through.

I'm slow, so I can't stop like I used to in my "runDisney youth" ha. But if I happen upon a short enough line, I make it work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter