Photo sharing: Fuji X Series

Thanks so much for the comparisons! They are so close that it would be hard to tell apart to most people.

And finally I grabbed a Sony ISO 4000 raw and a Fuji ISO 6400 raw and processed as guick and as good as I could to sharpen image and reduce noise while raising shadows 100%. The reason I choose 4000 for Sony and 6400 for Fuji as the exposures were equivalent. 100% crops

A7II ISO 4000
i-hsCgfcz.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
i-QzH9LSf.jpg

Interesting comparison. If exposures were the same at 4000 to 6400, it suggests they are calculating ISO quite differently. But now I'm curious... if you downsized the A7 image so it was the same size as the Fuji..

To my eye, it is indeed very close. I dare say the Fuji looks a little better than the Sony in some areas, but I suspect if you downsized the Sony to make them equivalent, the A7 would look much better. But I could be completely wrong too.

Interesting comparison. If exposures were the same at 4000 to 6400, it suggests they are calculating ISO quite differently. But now I'm curious... if you downsized the A7 image so it was the same size as the Fuji..

To my eye, it is indeed very close. I dare say the Fuji looks a little better than the Sony in some areas, but I suspect if you downsized the Sony to make them equivalent, the A7 would look much better. But I could be completely wrong too.

They definitely calculate ISO differently. It's well known that Fuji ISO values are off, but not as much as the online forums tend to insinuate. Fuji definitely tends to meter for a brighter exposure, so some of the difference is there. ISO values seem to be 1/2 stop inflated typically.

FYI - Fuji will only allow you to shoot raw at ISO 200-6400. My way around this limitation is to add some -EV adjustment on camera and then boost exposure in post. I hope that makes sense.

The Sony definitely produces a harsher noise. This could be from Sony's presharpening of the raw file - who knows.

So Phil, if you only kept one camera, would it be the A7II or Fuji? I love the Fuji for multiple reasons but am always pulled toward a FF for some reason.

Maybe I'm just crazy:crazy2:

So Phil, if you only kept one camera, would it be the A7II or Fuji? I love the Fuji for multiple reasons but am always pulled toward a FF for some reason.

Maybe I'm just crazy:crazy2:

You should probably buy FF just to scratch that itch.

To answer your question..
Fuji. In fact that's what I'm likely doing. A7II and D700 will be (probably) hitting eBay soon. X-Pro2 and XF 100-400mm will be next purchases. I'm not that much more impressed with the IQ coming from the A7II vs the Fuji - and I bought supposedly the best lens Sony makes in the 55mm. That's not to say I don't think IQ is better in the Sony. It's just not better enough. In order for me to really see differences in IQ, I have to zoom to 1:1, 2:1 etc. And once you start doing that crap, it kind of kills the photography and becomes more about the gear. I shoot for fun.

I kinda dig the whole Fuji ecosystem. High quality lens selection. Camera control layout. Aperture rings on lenses. And what I realized when I finally got my head out of lightroom and made some large prints, is that the Fuji prints have a "look" I prefer. There SOOC jpegs are the best I've seen from any camera. And if I take a bad shot, the RAWs from these things will take some serious abuse.

Thanks for the help! That's what I needed. I think my GAS comes from the stupid forums...lol. I would love the X-Pro2 but I'm eyeing the 56 and UWA.

I'll always have GAS. Don't need the X-Pro2 but love Rangefinders. Also 1/8000 shutter, the AF upgrade and 24mp X-Trans would be a nice addition. I've held off on buying a X-Pro1 anticipating this new release. The 56 is an awesome lens.

HAHAHA...I just picked up a Pro1 from Fredmiranda for $375. I couldn't resist....it has around 300 shots on it and it is only 3 months old. I should have it Friday. I want to see how the files look. I hear they have more character and film like than the newer Xtrans2 sensor. Right now, I currently have the 18, 35 and 55-200. I would like to sell the 55-200 because I rarely use it and get the 56.

X100T
Feel the Force by Harry Shields, on Flickr

Unobstructed View by Harry Shields, on Flickr

Good deal on the X-Pro1. I would also choose the 56 vs the 55-200 but that zoom is such a good lens for the money. Try shooting some portraits at 140-200mm and see what you think before you give it up.

Huge news that Fuji is updating firmware on the X-E2 with essentially the same features as the upcoming X-E2s. These types of bonus firmware updates are one of the reasons I really like Fuji.

I agree with the updates. I don't think any other company listens to its customers like Fuji does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter