Mount Washington:
mtwash4.jpg

flume3a.jpg

flume1.jpg

fire.jpg

flume2.jpg

More to come

Bug

Great Pics everyone. Giving this thread a bump as I am thinking of buying a Sony DSLR. Anyone have pictures froman alpha using the older minolta lenses? Just wondering how well they do work on the newer camera.

Great Pics everyone. Giving this thread a bump as I am thinking of buying a Sony DSLR. Anyone have pictures froman alpha using the older minolta lenses? Just wondering how well they do work on the newer camera.

Take a look at my post above. All of the Carowinds pictures were taken with what is called the Minolta 'Beercan' lens. It's nick named for its size, which is close to that of a beer can. It's an F4 70-210mm Maxxim lens.

Jeff

Take a look at my post above. All of the Carowinds pictures were taken with what is called the Minolta 'Beercan' lens. It's nick named for its size, which is close to that of a beer can. It's an F4 70-210mm Maxxim lens.

Jeff

They look good! Whew, LOL. My local camera store said to bring in my lenses and they would let me shoot with them to see how I liked it. Just haven't had the time to get there yet!

wow these are awesome photos...I'm thinking of getting the alpha - there's a good deal on it..but I had wanted to get the Canon xti...looking at these photos though looks like I'll save a few hundred dollars and still have great pictures!

Hi, all my pictures (above) were taken with older minolta lenses. I had the same concerns as you, before I bought the camera, but my lenses work. I think they have to be AF lenses though (auto focus).

Now, I think I will add a couple more photos to this to keep it going. I actually forgot about this thread. Keep it alive til end of June, that's when we get back from the World. :banana:

Wow! These pics are just AMAZING! I think DH will really enjoy his newest acquisition!

I wanted to give this thread a little bump because it did not come up when I searched on Friday. I want DH to be able to find it tomorrow! :)

Heres another couple........

f6.3, 4 sec, ISO 200
180723473-L.jpg

f6.3, 15 sec, ISO 200
180725244-L.jpg

how would one go about setting up the camera's setting for these types of pictures? do you play with the iso only? or the aperture? speed?

i've been playing around with my alpha, and can only get good picture just playing with one setting at a time (basically the ones mentioned above).

help?

how would one go about setting up the camera's setting for these types of pictures? do you play with the iso only? or the aperture? speed?

i've been playing around with my alpha, and can only get good picture just playing with one setting at a time (basically the ones mentioned above).

help?

If you're talking about fireworks, you'll want to start here:

How to Shoot Fireworks

There's lots of good info there. The basics are:

- You need a tripod (or some other way to keep your camera still for long exposures).
- You also need a remote shutter release (if you're not going to just set the shutter speed manually).
- From there, you'll pretty much go into manual mode (M) on the Alpha. Set your ISO, set your F-stop, then (with a remote shutter release), set the speed to 'bulb'.

Of course I've yet to try this out. :teeth: But I've got all the stuff and will be ready to try it out in March.

If you're talking about fireworks, you'll want to start here:

How to Shoot Fireworks

There's lots of good info there. The basics are:

- You need a tripod (or some other way to keep your camera still for long exposures).
- You also need a remote shutter release (if you're not going to just set the shutter speed manually).
- From there, you'll pretty much go into manual mode (M) on the Alpha. Set your ISO, set your F-stop, then (with a remote shutter release), set the speed to 'bulb'.

Of course I've yet to try this out. :teeth: But I've got all the stuff and will be ready to try it out in March.

So we can expect you to post pictures upon your return? :) When I finally get my camera and have time to play I'll post some pics too

Just a heads up...

DH read on another board that Best Buy has the external flash for the Sony marked down from $300 to $60. The Best Buy across the street from us still has it for $300. (There wasn't anyone in the store who could authorize the sale of the display model to us for $60. The display was the only one left at that location. :rolleyes: ) The guy did a search of other stores in the area and the price ranged from $60 up to $300 with a TON of prices in between. The other Best Buy near us had it listed at $60 but they were sold out.:headache:

We THINK we have one coming from another store, and we'll be able to go get it when it arrives and pay $60 for it. Of course we won't know for another week or so - we have to wait for the transfer. Hopefully it will work the way it is supposed to, the other store will transfer the flash, and DH will have a new toy for a great price!:thumbsup2

We went to the Dallas Zoo today and took a few pics with the Sony.

Sony016.jpg

Sony019.jpg

Sony022.jpg

Overall it seems to be easier to use than the Olympus. The cheetah was behind a chain link fence, so there is a little bit of blurring across the chest.

DH is all about this Sony camera. :rotfl2:

We have been looking at lenses on EvilBay. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for or what questions to ask the seller? DH wants the 50 mm and the 70-210 mm "beer can". Any idea what is a "good" price for these?

We are still waiting to hear back from Best Buy on the flash we had transferred. If that falls through 1) I will be furious and 2) we'll be shopping for a flash.:rolleyes:

What else do we need to know?

DH is all about this Sony camera. :rotfl2:

We have been looking at lenses on EvilBay. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for or what questions to ask the seller? DH wants the 50 mm and the 70-210 mm "beer can". Any idea what is a "good" price for these?

We are still waiting to hear back from Best Buy on the flash we had transferred. If that falls through 1) I will be furious and 2) we'll be shopping for a flash.:rolleyes:

What else do we need to know?

I got my beer can lens at keh.com. They deal in new and used lenses and they use a grading scale to let you know what you're getting. I liked the idea of getting the lens through a dealer, rather than eBay, because I felt more secure in having a known company I was dealing with.

I was told if you watched the sales, you could get the beer can for $200 or so. I think I paid closer to $230, plus shipping. KEH has one in that range now. For new lenses, I've done well with Amazon as well. I know quite a few people who use bhphotovideo.com as well. Bottom line, be very careful who you shop with. If the deal is too good to be true, it's probably a rip off. There are lots of stories of folks ordering an item, just to find out it's a bait and switch routine.

For other questions, check out the Sony section of stevesforums.com. There's lots of good info there.

Jeff

Thanks!

We took a look at keh.com last night. The grading scale is very helpful! We'll keep an eye on it and see if we can find a good deal. :)

Finally, after a week of waiting, the flash arrived at Best Buy! :banana:
This is the HVL-F36AM, brand new, factory sealed, for $59.99 + tax. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Now to just get a tripod and a couple more lenses...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!